Hey I have a great setup for surf rock (Fender strat & 65' Twin Reverb). I was just wondering if you guys could give me some suggestions on some good surf rock songs or how to play surf music other than cranking up the reverb. Thanks
inb4dickdale/or/venturas

but they are good to check out
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
yeah i got tons of dick dale and ventures they are excellent, are there certain chord progressions that are good for surf rock, or scales that are good to play over said progressions. Majors? Minor? Pentatonic, Dorian??
As for minor vs. major, I think it depends on the song, but probably minor keys will get you into the traditional surf instrumental. A good cd, which I picked up last year is this one:
Rock Instrumental Classics
Great mix of instrumentals, some major, some minor. Will give you more than the Dick Dale and Ventures stuff.
Scales with b2s and b5s will give fit in with surf. Also play alot of stuff like melodies on one string so the slides and inflections are noticable. Also tremolo picking.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Check out "Turf's Up" off Brad Paisley's new instrumental album Play. I'll see if I can find it...

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61oAJAlz_90
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

Last edited by millerdrr at Mar 3, 2009,
check out some of sublimes stuff..

he does some great surf solos.
Quote by King Twili
It's just me and Doris here ;_;

Quote by Zaphikh
Poops is the chat MC - but here we know him as Early Cuyler.

Free Downloads, Yo!
Work on tremolo picking, and alot of stuff that involves going from open to a much higher fret, also, fast chromatic tremolo picking runs are a essential fill to use.
Quote by aetherspear
Scales with b2s and b5s will give fit in with surf. Also play alot of stuff like melodies on one string so the slides and inflections are noticable. Also tremolo picking.

No offense, but have you heard any surf besides Misirlou?