Hey guys, I've been playing on a solid-state Fender 10W Frontman. I'm looking for a nice tube amp, around $200. Any recommendations? I will still go to the store and try them out, I just want to get suggestions, on what to look for.

Thanks
PRS SE Custom 24
Albion TCT 35
Focusrite iTrack Solo
Nice tube amp...$200?

Hard to find. Genres?
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Yeah... 200 isn't quite enough to buy a real tube amp.
Why are you convinced you need a tube amp?
I play guitar in a ska band.
Modded MIM Strat > Fender Tuner > Bugera V55HD > Custom built 2x12
Spencer is right... you know, the gay Asshole
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
instead of full tube you might try a hybrid amp like a Vox Valvetronix model (DA10 or VT15 both $199.99). There are some others out there too, like the Line 6 Spider, but I own a Vox and recommend it if you don't have the money for an expensive tube amp.
there are some really good 5 watters for about 200$. the Epiphone valve junior is a good buy. but you should also look at the Fender Champ or the Gretsch G5222 (they are essentially the same circuit). personally, i like the Gretch better than the Champ, but you can never find them. I'm not saying that champ is bad, just that i personally prefer the Gretsch.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Thanks, ^ that's exactly what I meant. The ones I've been looking at are the Epiphone Valve Jr. the Gretsch 5222, Peavey Valveking Royal 8, Fender Champ, Crate V5...

Wanted to see if people have them and what their views on them are.

I can't afford a really nice tube amp. I'm sure the ones at around $250 are at least nice. Also, I want tube because I've read everywhere that they generally have better sound quality, less unwanted feedback... Again, I've only had this amp.

Just need some suggestions/comments.
PRS SE Custom 24
Albion TCT 35
Focusrite iTrack Solo
any of those should be a lot better than the frontman, unless you need a lot of distortion you'll want a pedal.
Yeah I should've started with that.

Basically I want an at least good improvement over my Frontman. I figured a tube amp, even if it was low wattage, would sound better.

I don't play with lots of distortion anyways. More into funky blues, classic rock, and Santana stuff... Also, I have a distortion pedal if I needed it.
PRS SE Custom 24
Albion TCT 35
Focusrite iTrack Solo
if your playing hard rock blues and classic this amp is perfect for you, crate V18.

whats the nearest city you live in maybe craigslist will hold something for you.

also try out peavey vypyrs there really nice moddeling amps that offer good tone at a low price.

If you can save up a bit more and try to get a line 6 flextone 2.
Last edited by THEKID546 at Mar 4, 2009,
The Crate V18 was discontinued though no? I'll look at used though...

What about the Peavey Valveking Royal 8? Seems like it has nice control of tone, and a good sound overall.
PRS SE Custom 24
Albion TCT 35
Focusrite iTrack Solo
I think the small practice amps like the vox valvetronix and stuff are miles ahead of the small tube amps. Not only are they way more versatile they can do the exact same tones that 5 watters do better with no pedals.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
You can't beat the Vypyr 30 for $200. Sell your DS-1 and Frontman for $50 (or whatever you can get) and save up another $30 to get the Sampera pedal ($80) for the amp.
Either a Royal 8 or a Blackheart Little giant.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
the blackheart little giant if youre set on tube.. the vox valvetronix is also a good option.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Blackheart Little giant
Blackstar
Epiphone Jr

Those are about it for under $400 that are all tube if i'm right
My Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Acoustic DG-22 Ebony
Bugera 6262 combo
Blackheart Little Giant Half-stack
Korg Pitchblack Tuner
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
i say a Fender Champ 600 w/ a Bad Monkey.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Try to find a Crate VC2112 on craigslist, those things pop up for $200 from time to time. It would be good for what you play. Just throwing out another option to what's been stated. Or a used SuperChamp XD. While not a 100% tube amp, it's a very good modeler.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Kevin Saale
I think the small practice amps like the vox valvetronix and stuff are miles ahead of the small tube amps. Not only are they way more versatile they can do the exact same tones that 5 watters do better with no pedals.

amen to that... a man with sense. I see why you are in the who to listen to thing.

Kevin Saale is right, something like a valvetronix is a perfect step. I personally think the epiphone VJ is an awful amp, and with your budget you arent going to get much out of anything like that as you wont be able to afford any pedals or anything like that. A valvetronix will seem like a HUGE step up from your current amp.