I've been learning to read music,notation,and am new to guitar(one yr).I wonder how important do you think it is to be good at math to excel at guitar.I know music is mathematical and jjust wonder what hurdles I have in the future since I totally suck at math.
Being inept at math will hurt you learning process. Fortunatly, I don't believe anyone inherently sucks at anything, they just need to find a different way to learn it.

Good luck.

Edit : Spelling again.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
It's really basic like 5th grade math, it may just be a bit tricky finding rhythms at first. It's not like you're finding the circumference of a whole note or anything, right?
not necessarily. i suck at math but i'm a pretty good musician when it comes to rhythms and all that jazz
mathematics can be translated into music, but that doesn't mean music is math. As far as math skills are concerned really you only need to be able to count, for some you don't even need to be able to do that. What really needs to be said though is that music is an art, it's not always a logical thought process, you can have profoundly poor math skills and still be a master of the musical arts. Again, just cause a mathematical pattern can be found doesn't mean your doing math.
Thanks all........I've always had a problem with math and it stems from being drilled and drilled and drilled when I didn't understand the math in school.My Dad would go on and on working with me and I would just shut down.He meant well but it really created a learning problem for me.To this day I can't do things under pressure.I can't even type on the computer if someone is looking over my shoulder.I'm working on it though.And yes,guitar lessons have been a real challenge since it's one on one.That's finally getting better now.
The answer is no.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by kenbiki
Thanks all........I've always had a problem with math and it stems from being drilled and drilled and drilled when I didn't understand the math in school.My Dad would go on and on working with me and I would just shut down.He meant well but it really created a learning problem for me.To this day I can't do things under pressure.I can't even type on the computer if someone is looking over my shoulder.I'm working on it though.And yes,guitar lessons have been a real challenge since it's one on one.That's finally getting better now.
When someone is standing behind me or "hovering" when I'm typing I tell them to **** off. It pisses me off too. But I was pretty good at maths and always did very well in tests/exam situations.
Si
First off, I think yes, math does give a huge advantage in learning guitar but fortunately, you show no sign of being bad at math, just at having a bad history with it. For example, people can score really poorly on math or standardized tests but be great at math. Skill in math doesn't necessarily correlate to school...that is just one indicator.

But on the other hand, I think being good at math often gives a much larger understanding to the music world. I have known plenty of people that suck at math and are much much better at guitar than others, but those that are good at math tend to have a deeper insight into music. Again, this isn't a strict rule, but most people I've met with perfect pitch or rhythm tend to be good at math.

Again though, don't stress if your grades don't show it. It goes beyond that. I know several people that score horribly in school, but can do very "mathematical" things outside of it. Basically, if you aren't good at math, don't worry about it. You might not have a high level of intuition that I would argue those that are good at math have, but this doesn't mean you will progress slower.
Nah, I don't think so.
I failed entry level algebra the last 3 years in a row in hs, had to take it at a college and still failed.
That being said, learning is a breeze for me.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Sleaze Disease
Nah, I don't think so.
I failed entry level algebra the last 3 years in a row in hs, had to take it at a college and still failed.
That being said, learning is a breeze for me.

Touche
Unless you're using Maxwell's equations (none of which he discovered) to analyze the electric current in your amp, you're not really doing any math for music. You do some arithmetic and maybe a bit of algebra if you want to get really fancy. I don't think an inability to do math has anything to do with music.

However, advanced math forces you to think in a unique way. It comes from the proofs we do, but I can't really describe the thought process (short of a mathematical proof which, believe me, you don't want to see), nor can I separate that way of thinking from the way I think about anything. I suppose that could do something...mental exercise? I think the effect is minimal. I know more math than at least one of the following guitarists, all of whom are better than me:

Jimi Hendrix
Jimmy Page
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Eric Johnson
Eric Clapton
John Petrucci
Michael Romeo
Yngwie Malmsteen
Joe Satriant
Steve Vai
Eric Clapton
Marty Friedman
Randy Rhoads
Kirk Hammett
Dave Mustaine
Mark Knopfler
Gary Moore
Saul "Slash" Hudson
Dave Murray
Adrian Smith
Janick Gers
Chris Poland
Michael Schenker
Matthias Jabs

You get the point.

Oh, maybe you don't know this; I'm a math student.
[quote=" I know more math than at least one of the following guitarists, all of whom are better than me:

Kirk Hammett
[/QUOTE"]

C'mon, you can't possibly be that bad a player...
There's my way and the wrong way.
Failed point is failed point

People who do math well have often a higher ability to see connections.

This affects also ur learning in general, and makes you see patterns in music learning as well. You will link intervals and the like far easier.

Now if you have high intell, but don't liek Math you can still play guitar.

It has NOTHING to do with math, only math is something everyone comes across early in his life, so it's the obvious indicator of determining one's logical ability.

Once again think logical, You don't' determine 1's learning capabilities with music, but they do it with math and math like questions based on logic.

So yes someone who can do math very well can possibly learn guitar faster, but in no means is it linked to each other, + we live long enough to be proficient in the highest math we know. even the dumbest person can learn it, but it will take him maybe 25 years as opposed to a smart person who does it in 5 (random numbers I don't know exactly how much there is)

Now if someone who has great logical capabilities vs someone who hasn't and they ought to learn to play a Vai song within a week, then I'd probably bet my money on the guy with the better logical capability to do a better job.

But there are other factors like awareness and some psychological as well. So it's not 100% true.

What has happened here is a falsely based argument based on popularity or stupidity either one and not logic or objective in any way.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Mar 4, 2009,
In general, it is important to be proficient at mathamatics, so keep working at it. The same holds true for reading and writing.

From a big picture point of view, we can use math to understand, investigate and even create music, but it is not necessarily critical to learning to play guitar or composing music. It's just another tool in the box.
Quote by kenbiki
I've been learning to read music,notation,and am new to guitar(one yr).I wonder how important do you think it is to be good at math to excel at guitar.I know music is mathematical and jjust wonder what hurdles I have in the future since I totally suck at math.

I don't think it's important at all (for excelling at guitar).

* that doesn't mean I don't think that it's beneficial, it certainly is, but if your worried that you'll suck at guitar because you don't do well in math.... stop worrying and start playing.
shred is gaudy music
Even if being bad at maths was limiting your guitar playing ability, knowing this fact could make you play even worse because every time you would play badly you would put it down to this fact.

Let me put it this way: Did you always find rythms really easy? Could you always easily make up melodies? Did playing by ear come naturally to you? Does your family have a history of being great at music?

There are people to whom all this applies to (if you answered yes to all forget about maths), and compared to the rest of us they obviously have an advantage. These are people who have a skill that it more related to music, they are really good at music.

So I could look at all the people in my school who finished grade 8 before they reached secondary school and I could ask "Does not being amazing at music make learning to play harder than if I was?", to which the answer is obviously yes.

I could take these facts and see them as fine grounds to stop playing, but I don't. Why? Because I enjoy playing music and the fact that I'm learning slower than others and that I might not ever be as good as some people doesn't detract from the enjoyment.

If you're bad at maths, the only way this could affect your playing is probably in your ability to see patterns (unless you can't count past 100 or something) and this ability is not something you can change. It would be far better to ignore things that might make playing harder and just enjoy playing.
I love playing and it's going well,although I'm a real beginner..My Dad was a very serious guitar player and arranger.Gibson made him his own guitar every year and he did many arrangements for Tommy Dorsey,Louis Armstrong,etc...........so hopefully a wee bit of his ability passed on to me.Thanks for all the positve posts and I won't worry at all about math anymore!!