I have been playing guitar since Thanksgiving of 08' and I was wondering if I was doing pretty good so far or if I am a complete failure, or if I am in the middle. I have been taking lessons for about 5 weeks now, 1 day each week. Please write what you think, and I probably won't answer any questions I am asked, so don't be waiting for an answer. Here is a list I made:

I can play the all the following on guitar, except for the solos:
1. Sunshine of Your Love
2. Iron Man
3. Paranoid
4. Roller Coaster
5. Cochise
6. Trogdor
7. Killing in the Name
8. Original Fire
9. Don't Fear the Reaper
10. In Bloom
11. Back in Black
12. American Woman
13. Man or Animal
I am starting to try and learn and learn the solo's to these songs.

And I know all of these songs, even the solos:
1. Dirty Deeds
2. Smells Like Teen Spirit
3. Woman
4. Joker and the Thief

5.Sugar
6. Enter Sandman
7. Dammit
8. Monsters

9. The Hand that Feeds

Other than whats on the list, I know bits and pieces of songs. (Intro to Crazy Train, Main part of Wipe Out and Hot for Teacher, Etc.)

The songs that are RED I learned in one night, 3 and 4 were about a month ago, 6 and 7 I learned last night. I wanted to know if it was normal to learn 2 songs in one night, or if most people learn do this.

I can play all of the songs on both lists perfectly well, meaning I almost never mess up while playing.

Please leave Comment on what you think.
Too many guitar hero songs, brah.
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Fender American Strat/Tele->Vox V847 Wah->EH LPB-1->BK Butler Tube Driver->Big Muff Pi->MXR Carbon Copy->EH Small Clone->Vox AC30/Orange Tiny Terror/Blues Deluxe RI
I am going to say this now, because this is the result of every single thread like this.

1) This thread is useless without audio, because you may THINK you can play those songs, even though you may be terrible. We cannot 'take your word' that you can play those songs flawlessly.

2) It doesn't matter in any way if you are considered 'good.' All that matters is that you enjoy playing guitar, and you like making music. That is the only reason you should be playing in the first place, otherwise you should quit now. Do you think you are progressing decently? If so, then you're fine. If not, then practice some more. The opinions of some random internet-goers should not matter to you.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Last edited by AeroRocker at Mar 3, 2009,
yeah dude i wouldnt worry about how we think you're doing, id think about how YOU think you're doing
PAH!
I'd say decent...but meh.
I throw myself into the sea,
Release the wave,
Let it wash over me
To face the fears, I once believed
Tears of the Dragon, for you, and for me...
Quote by AeroRocker
I am going to say this now, because this is the result of every single thread like this.

1) This thread is useless without audio, because you may THINK you can play those songs, even though you may be terrible. We cannot 'take your word' that you can play those songs flawlessly.

2) It doesn't matter in any way if you are considered 'good.' All that matters is that you enjoy playing guitar, and you like making music. That is the only reason you should be laying in the first place, otherwise you should quit now. Do you think you are progressing decently? If so, then you're fine. If not, then practice some more. the opinions of some random internet-goers should not matter to you.

and a big +1
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
however good you think you may be doing, you should be striving to be better
If you're a hot chick you've probably got a good chance with the lead singer or guitar player, If you're a little bit overweight, you should probably go for the drummer. If you're a dude, go for the bass player
What I meant was am I doing decent compared to how fast other people learned. Like, I am slow? Fast? That's what I meant.

And about the Guitar Hero songs, I didn't learn them because they were on Guitar Hero, I learned them because I enjoy listening to/playing them.
damn you learn alot of songs....you should make sure you learn techniques and stuff too.

and theory/scales too
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
i'm usually not terribly impressed by what songs people have learned. i tend to judge people's skill more based on their ability to write, improvise, and play with other people.

also, i consider someone better if they can teach themselves something by ear, instead of using tabs or whatever.
Last edited by Babbs at Mar 3, 2009,
That's pretty good, assuming you play those near-flawlessly. I'd say strive to be better, post some covers, learn to write songs, learn bass, learn scales, and see where you're at.
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
Nope, you're horrible. Quit now. Honestly, you're asking the PIT to evaluate your skill? Go fap.
"We were one among the fence"
Quote by diofan88
You have no idea how many mornings my dad has woken up to me in my underroos rocking out in the morning...on a mission...A MISSION TO ROOOOCCCCKKKKK!!!!!
We can't tell you that unless we can actually hear you. Saying you can play those songs means nothing.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
I am learning Chords and Scales and stuff,but I just started about a week or two ago, so I don't really know too much stuff like that. I really appreciate what people been saying, especially AeroRocker, he makes a good point. Insanitydenied too, I may go fap soon.
Quote by JacobLampman
What I meant was am I doing decent compared to how fast other people learned. Like, I am slow? Fast? That's what I meant.

And about the Guitar Hero songs, I didn't learn them because they were on Guitar Hero, I learned them because I enjoy listening to/playing them.

Everyones different. Everybody learns at different rates and levels. Ive played for about a year, you can look at my skills of where im at if you want. I think I took it up fast enough, but your only as fast a learner as you think you are.

Besides. MP3s or it didn't happen.
Last edited by Life Is Brutal at Mar 3, 2009,
Quote by Artemis Entreri
and a big +1

And a bigger +2.

We can't tell unless we actually hear you. I know people who think they're good, but sound awful.

EDIT: I'm not saying you're awful, that's just an example, you could be brilliant. But we'll never know untill we hear you.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Last edited by -xCaMRocKx- at Mar 3, 2009,
I wish we had thanksgiving in australia...

Quote by Våd Hamster
Find a dice and assign a number to each girl. Throw the dice.

The number you hope for at the moment you throw the dice, is the one you'll want to keep.
although the pit's help so far has probably been very...useful, i'd say you're doing very well. Everyone does progress at different rates but you're well on your way. Good job.