Page 1 of 5
Not really, but that's what Mark Baurlein, an English professor and author of The Dumbest Generation is saying.

He states that our generation (generation Y, or basically anyone under 30) is the stupidest generation to walk the face of the earth.

What makes us so stupid? The Internet (and technology in general, according to this guy).

Link to video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzNkW2eyR-I

The man has a few points, but I really do not believe that we are the stupidest generation.

How would you combat his statement? How would you prove to him that we are not the dumbest generation? Or do you take his side? If you do, why?
Last edited by jetfuel495 at Mar 3, 2009,
I'm far smarter than my parents were at this age.

And if anything is causing a lack of intelligence, it would be the discipline in schools. There are no consequences anymore, so some students just don't care. The internet is a great learning tool.
So he goes on an interview that's on youtube...

Whatever, he might have a point, I haven't watched the whole video yet.
Quote by soulflyV
Prepare to have every orifice in your body occupied by a dwarf.
he's a bitch,
the smartest people in the world are the ones making the internet and technology,

if he's so smart, tell him to figure out how to bend over and go **** himself
This generation is the first to truly have full, always-on access to the internet, and to arguably the collective knowledge of the human race. The connection of the internet to people around the world has made us more aware of the diversity of other cultures, and other ways of life.

However, the internet has made this generation lazier than the previous. Rather than having to walk to the nearest library and find the book you're looking for (if they even have it), you can sit on your bum all day and press buttons, and your information is handed to you.

In fact, there's an ad on the TV as I type this for WebMD.com, and the lady said, "I love WebMD because it collects the information for me, I don't have to look for it, it's not scattered."

Because of this, I don't know if I would call this generation the "dumbest," but I would say that, despite the readiness and availability of the info, our collective laziness stands between us and the widespread intelligence that is possible through the internet.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
We are still not as stupid the cavemen.

98% of the generation are smart and have advanced, but 2% are still dumb f*cks.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
wut a dick rite?

EDIT:
Quote by tmfiore

Actually, it's called a bell-curve, and it pretty much describes the intelligence of any population.

The majority of people are of average intelligence (Yeah, I know it sounds redundant, but bear with me) let's say 50%

25% of the population are at the lower end, ridiculously stupid (rap "artists")

25% (sometimes it feels like less) are actually what you would consider "intelligent" or smart. (Maddox)
Blindfolds aside I'd probably still close my eyes

And try to feel a trembling fetal life inside
that shotgun barrel that's about to make me bleed

Like an ulcer in the stomach of the beast

Quote by Aurex
your sarcasam amuses me

CSUSM
Last edited by sneyob at Mar 3, 2009,
Pretty much every point he makes is invalid.
Almost every generation is smarter than the last: that's how society and the world have evolved into this amazing thing we have today
I hope it doesn't seem, like I'm young, foolish, and green.
Let me in for a minute, you're not my life but I want you in it

O Dayya, te echaré de menos, siempre

Y siempre
Y para siempre
I have to disagree, this generation is definitely not the dumbest, I do however believe that most kids now days lack most common sense.
Quote by greyeyedfire
he's a bitch,
the smartest people in the world are the ones making the internet and technology,

if he's so smart, tell him to figure out how to bend over and go **** himself

But ok, see here's the thing, it's his generation, the older ones, who created all of the technology. Today's teenagers didn't invent the internet.

Can you believe some of the things he says? We're apparently stupid since we don't know who our state senators are or because we couldn't locate Somalia or something on a map.
Quote by PlayMadness
This generation is the first to truly have full, always-on access to the internet, and to arguably the collective knowledge of the human race. The connection of the internet to people around the world has made us more aware of the diversity of other cultures, and other ways of life.

However, the internet has made this generation lazier than the previous. Rather than having to walk to the nearest library and find the book you're looking for (if they even have it), you can sit on your bum all day and press buttons, and your information is handed to you.

In fact, there's an ad on the TV as I type this for WebMD.com, and the lady said, "I love WebMD because it collects the information for me, I don't have to look for it, it's not scattered."

Because of this, I don't know if I would call this generation the "dumbest," but I would say that, despite the readiness and availability of the info, our collective laziness stands between us and the widespread intelligence that is possible through the internet.

This is true
Quote by tmfiore

I wouldn't say that much. According to a recent study, high school graduate percentages have been dropping slowly since 2003 or something.

EDIT:
Quote by sneyob
25% (sometimes it feels like less) are actually what you would consider "intelligent" or smart. (Maddox)

Last edited by jetfuel495 at Mar 3, 2009,
Quote by PlayMadness

This.
Quote by kayaress one

Sir, I love you.

You only have to vist an internet forum like this to find this isn't true.
Loads of helpfull people, and some pretty witty comebacks.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Quote by PlayMadness

ALso, we will continue to be educated long past high school unlike previous generations. Whenever I am curious about something, it takes me about 10 seconds to look it up and teach myself. Before the internet I either remained ignorant to the topic, or went to the library to waste hours of my life finding the same information.

He is jealous.

In my opinion this guy is the prime example of a douchebag.
Quote by red18420
There is no point except party and be healthy and happy. Also money is not something to live for. If i didnt need money for drugs and beer i would give mine away.

Vote here to help me get to BC!
Quote by jetfuel495

EDIT:

The man is a genius!
Blindfolds aside I'd probably still close my eyes

And try to feel a trembling fetal life inside
that shotgun barrel that's about to make me bleed

Like an ulcer in the stomach of the beast

Quote by Aurex
your sarcasam amuses me

CSUSM
Until he administers IQ tests to every member of our generation and every member of every other living generation and compares the results he can shut his whore mouth.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
He seems to be trying to argue that we are less intelligent than previous generations because we spend more time on "social networking" sites and watching television and other activities. Does he not realize that people from previous generations just wasted time doing other things that weren't productive, not everyone read novels and books about history or watched foreign films on PBS like he did.
Quote by soulflyV
Quote by Garret.
He seems to be trying to argue that we are less intelligent than previous generations because we spend more time on "social networking" sites and watching television and other activities. Does he not realize that people from previous generations just wasted time doing other things that weren't productive, not everyone read novels and books about history or watched foreign films on PBS like he did.
Not only that, but back then they had their own wastes of time too. Instead of wasting time on UG they'd go play stickball.
In generation y, the smartest people are smarter and the dumbest people are dumber.

/done
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
Quote by BlackandSilver
In generation y, the smartest people are smarter and the dumbest people are dumber.

/done

But even in our generation, the dumbest people still have instant access to all of the information in the world. Wouldn't that make them better off than their predecessors?

And as a whole, would you say we are dumber or not? Maybe not smarter, but certainly not the dumbest?
Sure technology is increasing our laziness, but our school program is excellent right now, and i'm sure there have been years where there was no education system at all, let alone free. Although we are getting worse in some ways, we still are smart enough to solve the problems we will have.
I Want One!!!

The Kraftwerkers: The Society for the Appreciation of Kraftwerk
Quote by dudetheman
Until he administers IQ tests to every member of our generation and every member of every other living generation and compares the results he can shut his whore mouth.

And even that wouldn't work, since IQ tests aren't really a valid or reliable measure of someone's intelligence.
I hope it doesn't seem, like I'm young, foolish, and green.
Let me in for a minute, you're not my life but I want you in it

O Dayya, te echaré de menos, siempre

Y siempre
Y para siempre
Quote by jetfuel495
But even in our generation, the dumbest people still have instant access to all of the information in the world. Wouldn't that make them better off than their predecessors?

And as a whole, would you say we are dumber or not? Maybe not smarter, but certainly not the dumbest?

Well, the ones who decide to get that information become the 'norms'. There are still many who procede to do stupid things like post "lol this is gay" on YouTube, UG, etc. Some of them have nothing better to do, as they'd assume, and do unproductive things. They will grow up to be the stupidest, such as the greedy lawsuit-happy folks and the hardcore drug addicts (not all addicts are bad, but if you're homeless and on the street begging for crack, you have problems.) Still, your point stands that a lot of the 'stupidest' become just 'stupid' and a lot of the 'stupid' become smarter. I'd say we're the same, because the average hasn't changed much, if not by up a few points thanks to the internet's rescources.
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
Dumber? No.

Lazier? Depends how you look at it.

Are we "lazy" for going to Google "The first 15 Presidents" rather then finding a history book? Or are we being more efficient?

I had this argument with my science teacher. I won, suprisingly enough. (And only because he said I wouldn't and I wanted to prove him wrong)

Please add me if as a friend I helped! (I like to think I'm a friendly person)
Last edited by Invokke_Havokk at Mar 3, 2009,
I's go up 2 hiM & tell hiM fase 2 fase tat I iznt' dumm.
Abbreviated version:
Quote by Lots of People

Quote by :.FireStorm.:
+1 Maus24

:.FireStorm.: - #15 poster in the thread, #1 in my heart.

o _o
/###############
|###############
\###############

Member #6 of the "Shoop da Whoop" club
pm C.C. Deville to join
I think the Caveman generation was dumber than us...
Quote by IDread
You know something is wrong when you have to utter the words "I have ganja in my eye" to your mother...

Quote by RIPKurt67-94
Aliens don't exist. I live on Mars, and I can assure you that there is no life here.

I hijacked this!
Quote by Invokke_Havokk
Dumber? No.

Are we "lazy" for going to Google "The first 15 Presidants" rather then finding a history book? Or are we being more efficient?

I had this argument with my science teacher. I won, suprisingly enough. (And only because he said I wouldn't and I wanted to prove him wrong)

That's a good point

I bet you that guy has no problem with using a calculator to do complex math problems instead of taking the time to do them on paper. Yet at the same time, looking things up on the internet instead of using a history book and going to the library is "lazy"
Quote by soulflyV
Quote by Invokke_Havokk
Dumber? No.

Are we "lazy" for going to Google "The first 15 Presidents" rather then finding a history book? Or are we being more efficient?

How did that argument go?
I NO STUPID.

But in all seriousness, I think the percentage of stupidity, due to ignorance is rising.

But those of us who are still smart, are smarter than other generations.
Quote by BlackLuster
And even that wouldn't work, since IQ tests aren't really a valid or reliable measure of someone's intelligence.

What do IQ tests measure? Intelligence.

So what's intelligence? That which is measured by an IQ test.

(head a splode)

Srsly, this guy seems like an angry dude who can't keep up with internet information sources.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by dudetheman

Except if you take a sample size that is large enough he can very accurately predict the population parameter, if my knowledge of statistics does me well.
Quote by frottage
What a c*nt.

Quote by greyeyedfire
he's a bitch

Well, forums aren't exactly the pinnacle of intelligent thought...

I'd argue multiple intelligences. We can't regurgitate facts and figures or names and dates like our parents and grandparents, but we're much better at interacting with each other and understanding ourselves.
Quote by Garret.
That's a good point

I bet you that guy has no problem with using a calculator to do complex math problems instead of taking the time to do them on paper. Yet at the same time, looking things up on the internet instead of using a history book and going to the library is "lazy"

I actually do both

I don't trust my fingers to have entered it correctly on a calculator, so I do it twice after doing the problem once on paper. (Once as a "double check" and again as a "check for the double check")

But 99% of the time doing it in my head suffices.

How did that argument go?

It was a 10 minute tangent that started when we were talking about generations, then the 'current' generations name (Generaton Y / The Lazy Generation, etc.) and he agreed with the laziness.

I brought up my point about it depending how you regard laziness. Do you see laziness as just being lazy? Or being efficient? (His term of lazy was "use internet rather then book for research"; not "do nothing rather then do something")

And pretty much every generation has had the latter 'definition', but ours is the first to dominatnly have the first (due to the internet being a pretty new thing )

Please add me if as a friend I helped! (I like to think I'm a friendly person)
We are not dumber, lazier probably but not dumber. Though it seems that alot of people lack commen sense.

Also, theres no concekwenses (major spelling error) to todays youths actions. Kids need to be disiplined better.

Made by 'The Sloganizer' ----> «The Pit - be prepared.»

Quote by imdeth

"Billy eat your broccolli!"

"Screw you mom!" *raises arms*

PHEAR MA TURRETS!!
Quote by Snuffles
We are not dumber, lazier probably but not dumber. Though it seems that alot of people lack commen sense.

Also, theres no concekwenses (major spelling error) to todays youths actions. Kids need to be disiplined better.

So "Raise yo kids, raise yo kids, raise yo god damn kids"?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by SteveHouse
What do IQ tests measure? Intelligence.

So what's intelligence? That which is measured by an IQ test.

(head a splode)

Srsly, this guy seems like an angry dude who can't keep up with internet information sources.

IQ is a heavily flawed and outdated way to measure intelligence. It measures knowledge more than anything, and knowledge =/= inteligence. They are also standardised to white middle class males.

Intelligence cannot be set on a linear scale- it isn't quantitative, but qualitative. Knowledge can be measured on a linear scale, however, which is generally what an IQ test does.
Page 1 of 5