Sorry if this should be asked elsewhere but I got a Jazz bass and I like Iron Maiden's music and I was interested in getting some SH Rotosound flatwounds. I know they're much thicker than normal, being 50-75-95-110 instead of 45-65-85-105. I'm used to Ernie Ball roundwounds but I'm looking to get a sound more similar to Steve's. I have small hands and fingers so I was wondering if that would make it hard for me to pluck the strings.
Rock on
I'm not much one for flatwounds personally. I can't imagine they'd be any different.
Quote by FbSa
^That's it! No other idea will even come close to that one. Joetime get's a pizza!
Flatwounds are a bit duller sounding than roundwounds. Steve's been using them forever, but they're mostly a jazz-man's string set so it's really up to the sound than the playability, as they're not really more difficult to play compared to standards.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
They're horrible co-workers. They never make a new pot of coffee and I suspect that they are the ones who piss all over the floor in the mens' room.
Try them. If you like them, great. String gauge choice is completely personal. Some like thinner gauges, others don't. However, I wouldn't bother with signiture strings when they get really anal, like the only difference is the G is .047 and the E is .128 or so.
I imagine Steve has a light set of flatwounds, I find lighter guages are much much easier to work with. It can never hurt to invest.
Quote by FbSa
^That's it! No other idea will even come close to that one. Joetime get's a pizza!
Quote by SoftOath
nah don't get them...they break almost right away...but ive played bass for almost three years now and iv only broken one string ever...

It's because they can sense that you're not Steve Harris, so they broke. Kinda like a soldier taking a cyanide pill so he won't give away secrets.
Guys be serious..I found them for $33 online..pretty cheap but I don't want to put them on and have them break. I want them so I can get a different sound and they support sliding without squeaking as much. Steve's don't break..and I would assume they'd work as well on a Jazz bass as a P-bass.
Rock on
Go for it you'll never know. I would if I were you. Assuming you have the funds.
Quote by FbSa
Quote by SDragonRocker5
Guys be serious..I found them for $33 online..pretty cheap but I don't want to put them on and have them break. I want them so I can get a different sound and they support sliding without squeaking as much. Steve's don't break..and I would assume they'd work as well on a Jazz bass as a P-bass.

If you want to slide without squeaking, get better at it, and roll off the trebles, a touch of the mids, and favour the neck pickup.
Quote by joemama9119
They're horrible co-workers. They never make a new pot of coffee and I suspect that they are the ones who piss all over the floor in the mens' room.

Lol?
Wrong thread brah
No $33 is cheap for them. I just want to play them without breaking. They should fit a Jass bass..I can turn up the highs to try to get Steve's "clanging" tone if I have to.
Rock on
Quote by Furnase
Lol?
Wrong thread brah

Nah brah. Read the thread title, then read his post, and it will make sense.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
So...go with them? The problem with strings is that they're just strings so you can't get a warranty or anything like that..
Rock on
So..yeah..why would you say they'd break? They're some of the top-rated, highest-quality strings.
Rock on
I just got a set a few days ago and I'm enjoying the hell out of them. Then again, I don't play my bass much and this is my first pair of strings in about two and a half years.

Still, the heavier tension may be harder to work with for you. I personally find it a lot more comfortable, then again, my hands are fairly large and any other type of string feels like spaghetti. I'd still go for a set. Flatwounds are great. I'm more of a fan of the mellower, smoother sound.
Just how does Steve Harris get that growling metallic tone with flatwounds, though? I think his customized kind are made to be brighter than normal.
Rock on
Quote by SDragonRocker5
Just how does Steve Harris get that growling metallic tone with flatwounds, though? I think his customized kind are made to be brighter than normal.
Lots of attack and fairly low action. I'm pretty damn sure he only uses his middle and index fingers.
I just use my index and middle as well..what does "attack" mean? Does that mean treble?
Rock on
Quote by SDragonRocker5
I just use my index and middle as well..what does "attack" mean? Does that mean treble?
that means you hit the string really hard.
What if my fingers aren't strong enough? Would you still recommend those strings to get an Iron Maiden-type sound?
Rock on
Quote by SDragonRocker5

It is everywhere, It is real
'cos it's only knock and knowall, but I like it...
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by Neo Evil11 at Mar 4, 2009,