I want a 5-string bass and don't have a lot of money but I don't know what a good brand is. Can someone help me?
Newbie of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join!
This is just an assumption but I assume since the gsr200 is such a popular model for cheap the gsr205 should follow the same traits.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-GSR205-5-String-Bass-519525-i1150633.gc

I am also a huge fan of ibanez basses so of course i suggested that one. others will give you other brands.

EDIT: good point. used would be a great option.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Last edited by Revelation at Mar 3, 2009,
http://www.rondomusic.com/sjb6241qmd.html

My friend plays this in Church band, and it sounds, looks and feels good.

Quote by Revelation
with sx i hear it's a crap shoot. try before you buy kinda thing. I've never personally played one though.

I've heard that alot about Sx's stuff. I, nor my friends have had any bad sort of luck with them, and I would imagine that Kurt would have no problem exchanging instruments. I guess that the older stuff was hit or miss, but the '09 stuff has really been cleaned up.
Gear
Peavy Basic 60 bass amp
Fender American Precison W/Quarter pounders
SX SPJ-62
Acoustic B100
SX SJB-75 LTD NA
Last edited by JobyByTheNight at Mar 3, 2009,
with sx i hear it's a crap shoot. try before you buy kinda thing. I've never personally played one though.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by froggyman
Budget???

try used

or ibanez or traben

what musical style?

Metal. I mainly want one to play Dream Theater.
Newbie of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join!
I got a used Ibanez SR705 for $250. Bought new strings and it sounds amazing.

Just remember when looking at used instruments to check the neck and make sure the knobs aren't too loose. A few knicks and dings are fine, but it should be in good quality.
Quote by 2112pk
thank you for stoping this RIDICULOUS argument.
and standing on the side of truth.
but your princess is in another castle
Squier P-bass are not bad for the price
My Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Acoustic DG-22 Ebony
Bugera 6262 combo
Blackheart Little Giant Half-stack
Korg Pitchblack Tuner
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
I got a Rogue LX405 Pro from MF for under $200 brand new. Great bass for the price. Active/passive push/pull pot, EQ, stock pickups sound great...and they have a cool paintjob. Definitely worth the money.
Ibanez SR series used would be perfect and well within your budget. Great tone for the music you are looking to play. I would also keep an eye out for used Yamaha's as well.
Peavey Cirrus 5 Bxp, extremely close to the American made models in sound and feel, considering they have the same electronics and similar designs. Simply great instruments.
Peavey Grind 5,
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Grind-Bass-Guitar-5-BXP-NTB-?sku=511362

very similar to the Cirrus 5 BXP, buts its cheaper, has 2-band EQ (Cirrus has 3 - but the tone is metal enough either way) and lacks active pickups.
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
isnt dream theatre a lot of six string? but spectors are a pretty versatile bass. can get one at a decent price
Quote by JobyByTheNight
I've heard that alot about Sx's stuff. I, nor my friends have had any bad sort of luck with them, and I would imagine that Kurt would have no problem exchanging instruments. I guess that the older stuff was hit or miss, but the '09 stuff has really been cleaned up.

This, though '07-'08 isn't bad at all either. (Mine's an '07)

I think the late '08 ones are when they finally killed the orange necks, though. (though thankfully the day-glo ones have been gone for quite a while)

That said, I too agree that used is the best way to go. We could help a lot more if you had a specific budget...one man's "cheap" is another man's midrange.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Mar 5, 2009,
Of course, the bass I always suggest, the Peavey Millennium. It's less expensive than the Grind and Cirrus and is a quality instrument. I'm selling one if you would like it.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
i agree withe t3hrav3n i own a peavey millenium ac bxp 5 string and it is perfect for metal. the strings are a little closer together which i find makes it very easy to play fast. if ur looking for a good distorted sound this bass goes great with a GK 600 amp head. :]
I play a Peavey Millenium BXP 5 and its really comfortable to play, nice finish and its dead cheap. If the converter tells me correctly thats $210 with the current exchange rate. But its probably a lot cheaper in the US because theres no import taxes. Really good bass for the money, the pickups maybe lacking a little but theyre easily replacable.