I love my guitar,

But I want to make it more personal . I already added blue bird inlay stickers on the fretboard, but im thinking if I should add anything on the body or some place else... Im a big orca, dolphin, dragon, LP fan..but im totally open to ANY ideas-(except changing the color)

(i attached photos) dont mind my parrot..lol help?!
Attachments:
m_3e572e80a71ee8f170c7012434ea8ed2.jpg
m_70fee512ead5681f964ae87cef37a007.jpg
Orcas & Linkin Park- Wild and Amazing
Quote by Orcalinkinpark
I already added blue bird inlay stickers on the fretboard

wait... wat?

and your guitar is part of you has a player... do whatever you like to it...
(i HATE stickers on a guitar with a passion... but thats just me)

justEDIT: forgot to add this.. you seem to be somewhat of a noob to guitar (maybe im wrong) but for the love of thats precious to you dont sharpie a dolphin to you guitar... just dont
Last edited by just17n8 at Mar 3, 2009,
Don't sticker it! Or, as I have seen some people see, put duct tape on it. It may seem like a good idea now, but later you will realize how stupid an idea it was to put stuff like that on your guitar.
Gear:
Squier Strat
Cordoba 20TM-CE Acoustic Electric Tenor Uke
Bugera V22
Meh, do what you want with the guitar. Stickers are cool sometimes, I've got stickers all over one of mine to cover up all the scratch marks on it
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by Felttoaster
plz dont tell me that says Fender Stratocaster in a '70s ish style plz dont
That does. Squier don't make a version like it.

Jesus christ man, whatever you don't, don't start drawing dragons and whales and dolphins on your guitar.

Well, unless you're one of those sort of neckbeard goons who wears t-shirts with wolves on them, in which case go ahead, it's not like you can damage your image any more.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
If that's a real Fender Stratocaster from the 1970's you'd better not touch it. (IMO, if it's a Fender Strat you shouldn't mess with it at all)

(Invalid img) (Invalid img)
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Last edited by Thomme at Mar 4, 2009,
Quote by yellowsnow4free
If that's a real Fender Stratocaster from the 1970's you'd better not touch it. (IMO, if it's a Fender Strat you shouldn't mess with it at all)

(Invalid img) (Invalid img)

70's strats aren't worth much at all. CBS era, the quality was hit or miss, the poor guitars from teh 70's are much worse than the poor ones of today.

that being said, I wouldn't recommend stickers of any sort on a guitar. If you do anything, do it professionally. Get some high quality pics, make sure you cut out any borders and such, and refinish your guitar in a quality fashion. Maybe do some Abalone Dolphin inlays or something. Just don't cheap it out with plain stickers with a big white border or something like that.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
70's strats aren't worth much at all. CBS era, the quality was hit or miss, the poor guitars from teh 70's are much worse than the poor ones of today.

epic, man, simply epic
Are you saying I'm wrong?

70's Fenders are highly reguarded as junk in comparison to the 60's and 90's. The Silverfaces replaced the blackfaces, and the guitars took a dump.

If you can find any info otherwise... well, you're wrong...

Unless of course you're agreeing...

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Last edited by MESAexplorer at Mar 4, 2009,
Quote by MESAexplorer
Are you saying I'm wrong?

70's Fenders are highly reguarded as junk in comparison to the 60's and 90's. The Silverfaces replaced the blackfaces, and the guitars took a dump.

If you can find any info otherwise... well, you're wrong...

Unless of course you're agreeing...

compared to the 90's stuff? Wow... that's simply amazing. The 70's guitars and basses were amazingly well built and sounded and played great, just not "as good" as the 60's and 50's stuff. Then the 80's rolled around and it was about a decade of crap and the 90's stuff is mostly just 80's holdovers that didn't take. 80's and 90's MIA fenders still play and sound well, but.... the pickups in the 70's guitars and basses far surpass those of the 80's and 90's.

Then you have to take into account the fact that the necks on the strats were wildly differant in the 70's. I can't remember the profile letter, but they were tanks of necks, thick bulky boat necks that some people (like me) love and others hate.

Besides, if CBS fenders are so bad, why did Jimi Hendrix, Buddy Guy and Billy Corgan all play them?

I doubt that a 19 year old kid has really had the pleasure of being able to critique and play every year of every model of Fender, and I don't think that you should be making blanket statements about Fender guitars just because you heard that the CBS era guitars were terrible.

Also, the going price for a 70's strat right now is about $1500-3000 dollars... that's not chump change.

Also, I should add: CBS bought Fender in 1965, not the 70's and changed the strat to the big headstock with the bullet trussrod in 1968.
My statement was a little blatent and a bit too broad, however, when you talk to hardcore fender collectors, the go to guitars for them are from the 50's and 60's. We all know the quality control in the 70's was much lower.

About a year ago I was on a big Fender hype, wanted to get a vintage Fender because of the age and because of the overhyped vintage quality. Talked around and played roughly 10-15 Fender Strats, and 2 Teles. There are quite a few at a guitar store in Nashville, friends dad is a huge fender guy, owns about 20 fenders, 3 strats from the 70's, and a guitar teacher had a Fender Mustang, I believe it was a 68 or so, it had the racing stripe and big C neck.

Overall impression, I prefered the way the neck meshed with the guitar on the Tele's and Mustang, the strat not so much. Too much wood for the way the guitars overall tone is. Most of the guitars in Gruhn's are well kept collectors items, no real flaws with the strats or any complaints. The ones owned by my friends dad, who i know plays and cares for his guitars, 2 of his 70's strats have "had fret problems for years", "tremolo replaced on one", "warped neck", "fret crowning issues", "replaced output jacks", and replaced pickups. For me to play one of his guitars and give a 100% this is the way it was opinion can't be the best opinion because the guitars were modified to correct their imperfections. The Fenders I've played from the 80's and 90's, when fender was bought back by Leo, feel more solid, better hardware. Especially the mid-nineties (owns a 50th anni strat).

Most of the 70's have been topping out at about $2,000 in mint condition when bought from stores. Guys on Harmony Central and ebay will sell for about $1,000-$1,500.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Oh, hell yes.
If everything could ever feel this real forever,
If anything could ever be this good again,
The only thing I'll ever ask of you,
You've got to promise not to stop when I say when.
Quote by MESAexplorer
My statement was a little blatent and a bit too broad, however, when you talk to hardcore fender collectors, the go to guitars for them are from the 50's and 60's. We all know the quality control in the 70's was much lower.

About a year ago I was on a big Fender hype, wanted to get a vintage Fender because of the age and because of the overhyped vintage quality. Talked around and played roughly 10-15 Fender Strats, and 2 Teles. There are quite a few at a guitar store in Nashville, friends dad is a huge fender guy, owns about 20 fenders, 3 strats from the 70's, and a guitar teacher had a Fender Mustang, I believe it was a 68 or so, it had the racing stripe and big C neck.

Overall impression, I prefered the way the neck meshed with the guitar on the Tele's and Mustang, the strat not so much. Too much wood for the way the guitars overall tone is. Most of the guitars in Gruhn's are well kept collectors items, no real flaws with the strats or any complaints. The ones owned by my friends dad, who i know plays and cares for his guitars, 2 of his 70's strats have "had fret problems for years", "tremolo replaced on one", "warped neck", "fret crowning issues", "replaced output jacks", and replaced pickups. For me to play one of his guitars and give a 100% this is the way it was opinion can't be the best opinion because the guitars were modified to correct their imperfections. The Fenders I've played from the 80's and 90's, when fender was bought back by Leo, feel more solid, better hardware. Especially the mid-nineties (owns a 50th anni strat).

Most of the 70's have been topping out at about $2,000 in mint condition when bought from stores. Guys on Harmony Central and ebay will sell for about $1,000-$1,500.

Honestly? I prefer the feel of the 70's neck myself, though I do enjoy the nice, slim 50's necks on the strats, those big boat necks are amazing to me.

It does vary from guitar to guitar, though. I mean, my favorite basses are the 70's P-bass with the maple neck and the Jazz Bass with the black inlays (those are some sexy looking and sounding basses) and I actually think the P-bass pickups from the 70's sounds better than the 60's, personally.

Blanket statements like that always piss me off. I actually hold the 70's Fenders in higher esteem than the 80's, 90's and 2000's MIA Fenders. The 60's ones are nice, but, I honestly wouldn't pay the price difference for a 50's/60's vs. a 70's as I buy guitars to play them, not collect them. From a collectors standpoint, I can see what you mean, but, man... I LOVE 70's strats. There used to be an overabundance of them in the Chicago market a few years back and I played a lot of them and they sounded and played so sweet. I've only played a couple of 60's strats and wasn't too impressed with them over the 70's for the price, but like I said, I look at it coming from a player's perspective and not a collectors perspective. I'm not saying the 70's Fenders are the best out there, I'm just saying that to categorize them in the same vain as the 90's and 2000's MIA standards is an insult to them, but that's also not saying that the 90's and 2000's MIA standards aren't good, just that they're not as good.

I think we can agree though, the 80's guitars really were terrible... I mean... god, CBS dropped the ball in 1979 and it took the company (even after being bought in 83) 'till 86 to even start picking up the pieces.

Man, I miss the days when you'd walk into Midwest Buy & Sell, Make'n'Music and GC Chicago and just see a plethora of whacky 70's strats all around. I remember one at Cremer Guitar Works in the antigua finish, frets still at 100% and the finish immaculate... that was an amazing guitar... ugly as sin, but sure was nice. Sold for around $2500 I believe.

but, yeah, I think we can agree that the 70's one weren't the best, but they're by no means poor instruments, just not as nice or collectible as the 60's and 50's Fenders.
Glad we could reach some sort of agreement. The neck on my guitar teachers Mustang was as round as a baseball bat. Really great feel, slim necks aren't always comfortable.

I recall being in a store a while back and they buy sell trade gear, they refused to buy 70's fenders. I guess it would be too hard to sell when they carry G&L and Suhr.

I like the 80's for some aspects and not others. Fender was trying to introduce new models or twists on models, a few of them, were alright. Where they tried to cut corners further some models were hard to avoid.

It's like all guitars though, if they weren't built well, they're not going to be a good guitar. The ones that you're going to find more of still around are goign to be teh well built ones. No matter what era you buy any guitar, a good one is a good one. The 70's just had less good ones around. Gotta inspect what you buy no matter what.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Personalizing a guitar is really cool. I like to see guitars looking so different.

The only way I would not change a guitar is if it had a very high resale value..
or if I was possibly going to sell it someday.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
As far as I can see, you paid for the damn thin so you can throw it against the wall and paint it pink if you want. But if I was gonna do that (though I'd probably never) I'd put meaningful decorations on it. Like stuff that says something musical about you. I.E. not dolfins... but a band that you really respect and has been a major influence in your playing. Think about it for a long time. Make sure that you really want that thing on there. Dont put a sticker on just to put on a sticker. Put it on only if you seriously think the guitar will look good with it (and you wont be embarrassed to take it anywhere public with said sticker.)
Equipment:
-Ibanez GIO
-Fender American Standard Strat HSS
-Acoustic Schneider Guitar
-ARIA STB-PB-DX Bass
-Vox VT50AD-XL
-Roland Cube-30 Bass
-Digitech RP-250
-Blue guitar pick
Proud Member of UG's 80's Rock Fan Club
Quote by KasanDude
As far as I can see, you paid for the damn thin so you can throw it against the wall and paint it pink if you want. But if I was gonna do that (though I'd probably never) I'd put meaningful decorations on it. Like stuff that says something musical about you. I.E. not dolfins... but a band that you really respect and has been a major influence in your playing. Think about it for a long time. Make sure that you really want that thing on there. Dont put a sticker on just to put on a sticker. Put it on only if you seriously think the guitar will look good with it (and you wont be embarrassed to take it anywhere public with said sticker.)

maybe dolphins are meaningful to him. Maybe he's all "green" and **** and wants to preserve the enviroment and save the whales and dolphins, you know? You can have stickers and paintings on your guitars that are meaningful and not about music.
Quote by Orcalinkinpark
I love my guitar,

But I want to make it more personal . I already added blue bird inlay stickers on the fretboard, but im thinking if I should add anything on the body or some place else... Im a big orca, dolphin, dragon, LP fan..but im totally open to ANY ideas-(except changing the color)

(i attached photos) dont mind my parrot..lol help?!

It would be almost as dumb as getting a tattoo. <g,d,r>