not exactly an advanced technique, but whatever.

i want to start playing electric guitar (particularly hard rock - metal) with *drum roll*

fingers. thats right, metal, played completey fingerstyle. not unheard of, I know, but uncommon.

I'm doing this for a variety of reasons: chord formation, etc... will become easier without a pick, and it opens up your hand to a variety of new things, etc...

SO i'm thinking of getting thsoe, long, creepy, fingerpick things to put on. does anyone have any experience with these?

will they stop me from tapping (considering they're long, extra curled nails essentially)?

would i still get that 'sweep picking' sound? (I assume if I hold a chord position down, and play them one at a time quickly while muting each one afterward I would)

EDIT: and how would I be able to do pinch harmonics?

etc. any help would be appreciated.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
Last edited by Shadow_Hawk at Mar 3, 2009,
lol you might be able to do a pinch harmonic.
and as far as sweeping. you will get a strumming sound if you strum and you will get a sweeping sound if you sweep
Quote by I Be Andyy
That gives you rank of -10 out of 10. You fail. Go play the flute.

----GEAR----
Gibson voodoo sg
Schecter hellraiser c-1 fr (07' model)
Fender american strat
Martin 000-28
Peavey bandit 112
Mesa mark 5
Mesa stiletto 4x12
Last edited by sexothemonkee at Mar 3, 2009,
Quote by sexothemonkee
you wont be able to do pinch harmonics. you need to clip you fingernails. and you could play alot faster with a pick then your fingers

16th notes at 220 bmp on bass tremolo and speed wont be a problem lol. but I wont be able to do pinchs, I just realized that.

So.... should I do hybrid picking?
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
Using your fingers isn't going to open up a new world of chord opportunities for you. You won't really get the bite and pick attack you need for hard rock. I don't know. It's not worth the effort in my books to attempt a hard style of playing with your fingers.
i would try whatever you want its all personal preference really and you will never know if you dont try
Quote by I Be Andyy
That gives you rank of -10 out of 10. You fail. Go play the flute.

----GEAR----
Gibson voodoo sg
Schecter hellraiser c-1 fr (07' model)
Fender american strat
Martin 000-28
Peavey bandit 112
Mesa mark 5
Mesa stiletto 4x12
You can give it a try, but as for speed, I don't think you could go faster than with a pick (and years of practice) with a single string, but for arpeggios, I guess you could go much faster. Also, I believe that you would be better off with your real nails then using fingerpicks, but you can always try them. It shouldn't cost too much, so even if you don't use them, it's not too much of a waste of money ... Good luck on your quest to beat the Pick of Destiny.
Hello, Mirror - so glad to see you my friend, it's been a while

Help me - I can't break out this prison all alone
Save me - I'm drowning and I'm hopeless on my own
Heal me - I can't restore my sanity alone
I think I'm gonna do pick predominantely, and throw in fingers for chords and arpeggios and stuff. And instead of the actual fingerpicks, grow my nails out a little longer.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
i dont think it will work. I have been playing classical guitar for 3 years, and believe me, it's really hard to try to get that sweep style sound with fingers, i can kinda do it with 4 string arpeggios, but 5 or six ir almost impossible, and you must play really, REALLY clean, because the distortion on top will eat your ass if you have a single wrong note.

also. about tapping, since i've got long nails for the classical, i tap with my nails, and it sounds like tapping with a pick.

Pinch harmonics with fingers are difficult, but there are two ways of doing it:
1.- place your midlle or index and your thumb like if you were holding a pick, and pluck the string with your index finger's and make the thumb touch the string. It's like using the nail as a pick.
2.- this is really hard: pluck the string with your thumb, and touch it with your middle/ring finger afterwards, so you get the harmonic. you need practice a lot to do this.

oh, and about the chords, you wont make a lot of difference as with actual picking style.

and good choice on growing your nails.

To the dude who said you can't be as fast as a pick with your fingers: it's not that hard to learn trem picking on guitar with your fingers. once you get it right, you can go as fast as any other picking guy.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Last edited by ldnovelo at Mar 3, 2009,
For pinch harmonics, I might have found a way to do them without a pick. If I can find and explain it ill edit this post.
If you get sweeping right with fingerstyle you can do some cool stuff. Thanks for reminding me to try that some more.
Brett Garsed uses hybrid picking for sweeping. Jeff Beck gets a ton of agression out of his fingers.

The only problem I'd see would be how to palm mute properly.
Call me Batman.
palm muting will be ****ed up and fast string skipping runs will sound too dull without the pick attack, unless you play everything legato, but why limit urself?

Just learn to play with a pick it opens far more possibilities for metal styled.

Also sweeping at high speeds without a pick will be harder and probably sound "weaker". If you want plucked styled sweeps learn to alternate pick sweeps.

You can play with a pick and do hybrid picking and you have the options of both.

It doesn't affect chords at all. The notes you choose in ur chords are based on ur left hand and not ur right hand.

What you want to do is lame and limiting.

You want to saw a plank with a kitchen knife sorta speak.

I must be blind, but I only see con's in what you want to do

I can name dozens of lick which would takes years to master finger styled to get the exact sound.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Mar 4, 2009,
i never use a pick and it works fine for me, but i played acoustic long before i started playing rock/grunge/metal
Quote by Cockpuncher 2.0
Congradulations, you are a genious even if you are intoxicated.

Quote by Godsmack_IV
lucky bastard and your knowlegde of chemical engineering...

Quote by FortuneFaded
you guys are geniuses.

Quote by tonedeafidiot
^That is genius!

:stickpoke why dose yellow hate blue? WHY!