I have recently saved enough money to buy a flat screen TV. I'm not technologically inclined I need help.

I'm looking at four televisions, all of them 46", the brands are Philips, Sony, Vizio, and Sharp.

I want to know in terms of quality, which would be the best investment. All of them are aesthetically pleasing, especially the Sony, which I have noticed to be more clear in terms that the black that shows on the screen is darker than the others. But this alone is not a deciding factor.

Also another dilemma: LCD or Plasma?

Your take.
Quote by FbSa
^That's it! No other idea will even come close to that one. Joetime get's a pizza!
well all the brands have high and low end stuff. even though plasma has a better quality picture i would say get the LCD and save on the electricty. from what i have heard the top of the range Phillips are pretty much the best when it comes to plasma. not sure which is the best for LCD though.
Doesn't LCD last longer? I think I've heard something of the plasma screens being fragile.
Quote by FbSa
^That's it! No other idea will even come close to that one. Joetime get's a pizza!
If you plan on doing any gaming, go with the LCD. As i understand it, plasma doesn't do too well with video games. As far as brands go, i cant help you
Whatever you do dont go with vizio they suck...imo you should go with sony they make quality products and i have never been disappointed in any sony product that i have ever bought
i have a 42" Sony Bravia LCD and it looks kick ass. they're a bit expensive but they're worth it.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
I was mainly going to use it for my XBox 360, I plan on getting an XBox Live account and all. So if what Nirvanaguy says is true, LCD it is. Sharp seems to be moderately priced, at like $1048, and the Sony is about $1220 I think. The Philips is about the same as Sony.
Quote by FbSa
Sony is good (I have a 32" Bravia), Philips too. I would also recommend taking a look at Samsung.

But, yeah... Go LCD.
Quote by Article
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying "That's yours"

Wii Is For Queers! Co-Founder Of The "We Hate Wii" Club
Return to a Condition of Being...<-Band. Add plz!
I'm also assuming getting a warranty on it as well isn't a bad option either. I'm getting it from Wal-Mart if that may help add some detail.
Quote by FbSa
I bought a Sony bravia 36 inch LCD and I couldn't be more pleased with it. Definitely sony.
DOESN'T REALLY CARE ABOUT RON WILSON
I have a samsung...they are nice but i have how they make noise when you turn them off or on and its always at the same level you cant turn it down so late at night its really loud...i was gonna get a sony but circuit city went out of buisiness
I am TV salesmen. I would advise that you get a Samsung. The Vizio is probably your second best bet.

The Sharp have ****ty contrast ratio's. Sony is over priced. Phillips are just junk.

Avoid Plasma's, it's a nice picture, but if your plasma lasts more than 5 years your lucky.

And when the sales guy pitches you the Protection Agreement/Extended Warranty. I would recomend that you get it.
Quote by Nirvanaguy007
I have a samsung...they are nice but i have how they make noise when you turn them off or on and its always at the same level you cant turn it down so late at night its really loud...i was gonna get a sony but circuit city went out of buisiness

You can turn that off in the settings(annoyed me too)
^^ I dunno off the top of my head, just look around in the settings(or the owners manual), you can also turn that blue light off too if you don't like it.
yeah im going to go do that right now because it annoys me so much
Last edited by Nirvanaguy007 at Mar 3, 2009,
The best one is the Samsung ones, in terms of quality its pretty much the same thing it depends more on the model as you might already know there are certain characteristics in them, just make sure its "full hd" has "hdmi" and "1080 p's".
LCD is much more better than plasma because: it last longer, it has better definition, it wastes a lot less energy and they are cheaper.
Other thing "image softener" it's really cool if you watch blue ray dvd's.
I own a LG with image softener plugged to my PS3 and with blue ray dvd's is an other deal really.
Member #? of theVIVA MEXICO CLUB

Beware of the Lawyer: the Dog is Harmless.