Hey, I was wondering if I should pick the Peavey Classic 30 or ValveKing 112.

I like to play Pop punk (blink-182, Green Day, Sum 41, etc.)

I want good natural tube amp overdrive, and I also want to be able to switch over to some nice cleans too.

Which amp would be better for what I want to play?

EDIT: I have a Boss-OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion pedal too
Gear:
*Mexican Strat with JB pickup
*Focus by Krame with Invader pickup
*Peavey ValveKing 100 half stack
[img]http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/9028/forumsigzz4.jpg[/img]
Last edited by Andyrew004 at Mar 3, 2009,
ValveKing with a distortion pedal. The inbuilt distortion on both those amps will suck balls for modern gain tones, seriously.
Quote by danrawkz
ValveKing with a distortion pedal. The inbuilt distortion on both those amps will suck balls for modern gain tones, seriously.

oops I just edited my post, I have a Boss OS-2 Pedal. would that be good?
Gear:
Might be alright, I'm not too familiar with the OS-2, does it pump out enough gain? I found the lead channel on the VK to be way too icepicky and harsh for a smooth pop-punk type gain.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Classic 30 no question.

For anyone who thinks the C30's distortion sucks needs to listen to MatrixClaw's clips from today and a whole bunch of other clips that are out there.

Yes, that OD pedal should be fine.

+1. I have one, and it's great but my style shifted slightly and now I play Orange Amps. Actually trying to sell it locally right now.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Classic 30 no question.

For anyone who thinks the C30's distortion sucks needs to listen to MatrixClaw's clips from today and a whole bunch of other clips that are out there.

Yes, that OD pedal should be fine.

yup, that's my baby i traded him

trust me AND matrixclaw, we both have first hand experience. the classic 30 sounds MUCH better than the VK and it takes pedals very well. hell, it's quite capable of doing metal. yes you heard right, it's quite capable of doing metal
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
Classic 30 for sure, should nail those tones perfectly.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
well the C30 is $200 more so I dont see how it shouldnt be better but the VK has really good cleans when you put it on Class A and thats using my hellraiser
True - It should be better for the extra money. For the record, it's IMO that the Valveking is not a bad amp by any means. It has a great tone stack, it just doesn't have great tone out of the box. It needs a new Speaker and some tricks with the jacks to get it up to speed. An OD pedal and/or EQ pedal may also be in order. Lastly, it doesn't have the greatest tubes in the world.

Some of the most recent clips put up by UG'rs (not me) are pretty good and worth a listen (see page 1 of VK thread). The VK can get some good tones with upgrades and has a good clean channel. More XXX'ish.
Quote by Andyrew004
Hey, I was wondering if I should pick the Peavey Classic 30 or ValveKing 112.

I like to play Pop punk (blink-182, Green Day, Sum 41, etc.)

I want good natural tube amp overdrive, and I also want to be able to switch over to some nice cleans too.

Which amp would be better for what I want to play?

EDIT: I have a Boss-OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion pedal too

The Classic 30 out of the box will be far better then the VK. With your distortion it should do pop punk fine.

However ultimately if you buy a valveking and get it's speaker swapped out with a celestion it would probably be a better amp - paticuarly for pop punk.

edit: soz my bad - meant to say classic, got mixed up..yeh I know

The classic 30 is voiced for classic rock, yes with your pedal it would do pop punk ok but the VK is much more modern and has a lot more gain on tap in the first place.

When you think about the price difference VK+Speaker Swap = Classic 30.

So ideally VK+Speaker Swap is better.

Talk to some of your local guitar shops to see if they'd swap it for you.
The gear:

* Epiphone Les Paul Custom
* Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 String
* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
Last edited by hendrixftw at Mar 4, 2009,
Quote by Siren Silently
what?

i know i think it's called a "Classic 30" instead of " Modern 30" for a reason.

and to HendrixFTW, if you get a used classic 30(about the same price as a new VK) and do the speaker/tube swap, it'll still beat teh VK in tone and price IMO.
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
that was my fault guys

seriously, #1 a VK with a new speaker does not necessarily > a Classic 30.
#2 Blindly spending $120+ for a Celestion in a VK is not good advice. There are actually better speakers at a lower cost that work better with the VK...
#3 The speaker swap is extremely easy. My cat could do it and she's a lolcat. Taking it to a tech to do that is again not very good advice imo.
Class 30 is much better. The valveking sucks dude. Most people with valvekings are people that were not patient enough to save up for a better amp. I understand being on a budget and all but honestly it's not worth it to rush into it. The classic 30 is a fine amp but you need to play it first. You may not like it with your style.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
that was my fault guys

seriously, #1 a VK with a new speaker does not necessarily > a Classic 30.
#2 Blindly spending $120+ for a Celestion in a VK is not good advice. There are actually better speakers at a lower cost that work better with the VK...
#3 The speaker swap is extremely easy. My cat could do it and she's a lolcat. Taking it to a tech to do that is again not very good advice imo.

Ok, but I was just saying that a VK with a speaker change is going to be better at pop punk even if you get a speaker change in the classic 30.
The gear:

* Epiphone Les Paul Custom
* Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 String
* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
Quote by hendrixftw
Ok, but I was just saying that a VK with a speaker change is going to be better at pop punk even if you get a speaker change in the classic 30.

I agree with that to a degree. The 30 is a better amp though but for that style the VK might suit more. But the Vk tone is just CRAP. I mean I'd rather have a bugera honestly. The bugera might be cheaply built but atleast the tone is doable.
Quote by hendrixftw

still, a used C30 goes for 300-400. with a speaker change it'll still blow away the VK IMO.
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I had a Valve King 212 once and the OD/distortion tones were HORRIBLE!!!!!! Harsh, brash, raunchy, nasty.

I gigged with it one time and that night realized I needed to get rid of it.

It's a perfect example of how even a tube amp can be pure crap.

I also have a Classic 30 and I hope to keep it forever! It's a great blues/rock amp. It's a complete gem!

Quote by dcooper830
I had a Valve King 212 once and the OD/distortion tones were HORRIBLE!!!!!! Harsh, brash, raunchy, nasty.

I gigged with it one time and that night realized I needed to get rid of it.

It's a perfect example of how even a tube amp can be pure crap.

I also have a Classic 30 and I hope to keep it forever! It's a great blues/rock amp. It's a complete gem!

Oh... my... god...

That is one DAMN sexy ass amp.
All of our days are numbered
I’ve taken some comfort
In knowing the wave has crested
Knowing I don’t have to be an exception
That's one nice classic 30. Nice amp dcooper.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
True - It should be better for the extra money. For the record, it's IMO that the Valveking is not a bad amp by any means. It has a great tone stack, it just doesn't have great tone out of the box. It needs a new Speaker and some tricks with the jacks to get it up to speed. An OD pedal and/or EQ pedal may also be in order. Lastly, it doesn't have the greatest tubes in the world.

Some of the most recent clips put up by UG'rs (not me) are pretty good and worth a listen
(see page 1 of VK thread). The VK can get some good tones with upgrades and has a good clean channel. More XXX'ish.

ME!!?!?! LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN!

but yeah a VK is going to take a some time/money if you want it to sound good.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Yeah, isn't the whole negative about the VK is that by the time you've upgraded it you've negated the bargain pricing?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
^yeah, i mean im not too worried about a speaker swap (i have a avatar 2x12 back at home) and it sounds fine still. But i do have to run 2 tubescreamers, an eq pedal, and i had a tube swap. The tube swap wasnt necessary i just had the amp for a while. so that comes to be a grand total of about 400 bucks.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
^you def have some nice clips sg622 as do some others.

the amp does not sound very good stock and the Classic 30 can do punk rock out of the gate, to whomever said it couldn't.

If that blue C30 popped up on my craigslist I'd be selling pedals, CDs, pets, whatever I could get my hands on to buy it.
Quote by dcooper830

They make C30s in blue!?!

Holy hell! Do want!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
thanks everyone. looks like I'm gonna go for a C30. =)

and damn that Blue C30 that was posted is sexy as hell! and blue's me favorite color. I gotta get my hands on one of those =O
Gear:
Quote by MatrixClaw
They make C30s in blue!?!

Holy hell! Do want!

Those Blue peaveys are limited edition ones that are on sale on ebay. there's Aztec Red, Blue, Dessert Yellow, camouflage, and some other colors . some seller on Ebay is the only one that i've seen that sells these custom colored Classic 30's.
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock