I was just wondering if you really need to use a special "string cleaning" spray to clean strings. like is there something more common you could use? like water or something? Thanks!
umm I'm pretty sure using water would rust the **** out your strings, its happened to me before
I'm FAT!
I know that cleaners for the strings are used to keep the fresh "bark" out of the strings, and extends life. But I know alot of players are attracted to that old string sound.

The best way to keep the strings good is to use a dry cloth before and after playing. And once a while use a cleaner. Water like the guy before will rust the string.

You don't need string cleaners... But it won't kill ya to have it in your guitar case
From a guy named Mike
Originally posted by justinhawkins

id knock boots with paris any day, but i bet robert plant has a better-sounding orgasm
FastFret costs less than ten bucks and lasts for two decades.
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

The easiest way is just to wipe after you play. I also have fast fret and it does work a bit as well.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Oh, I forgot a disclaimer: it seems like with FastFret it makes the strings squeak worse when sliding. I mean, if you can live with the squeaks, its a great product, but it drives me insane.
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95

Quote by Basti95

Alright Thanks guys! besides the fast fret thing is there any other brands that are good or bad?
Quote by fire_fret05
I was just wondering if you really need to use a special "string cleaning" spray to clean strings. like is there something more common you could use? like water or something? Thanks!

This is bound to attract a load of flak, I suppose.

Well here goes nothing - I use KYSER brand, Dr Stringfellows Lem-Oil on the fretboard, AND I don't remove the strings each time.

I just follow the instructions and it seems to keep everything clean and fresh?

Dave the Rave - "You can't sack me! - I'm Sack-less!"

Yamaha FGX412
Takamine CEB
Roland Cube
Korg Tuner CA-30
Couple of 1960's Echo Super Vampers mouth harps.
(. . . plus a cheap Rogue black Dread'nt 6 String and a black Mandolin in USA)
I'm wondering if this stuff might be more effective if your acoustic is going to be sitting for a time without being played. If you only pick it up once or twice a week sort of thing.

I've tried Elixer, Ernie Ball coated etc and find they all still sound dead in 2-3 weeks for me. My guit gets 3 hours minumum per day of use, so I don't think in this case the cleaners will add much life.
2001 Gibson USA Les Paul Studio Black/Gold
2008 Alvarez-Yairi DY40C
2004 Taylor 310
Marshall AVT275

Ex guits 2002 Ovation Elite, 1995 Seagull 12 BC Rich Gunslinger Snakeskin Various Yamaha Various Sammick Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone ES
Quote by Milez5858
I'm wondering if this stuff might be more effective if your acoustic is going to be sitting for a time without being played. If you only pick it up once or twice a week sort of thing.

I've tried Elixer, Ernie Ball coated etc and find they all still sound dead in 2-3 weeks for me. My guit gets 3 hours minumum per day of use, so I don't think in this case the cleaners will add much life.

lets say guitar strings are designed to last for x amount of hours of playing on average conditions (someone who doesn't wipe their strings down and only cleans the fretboard not very often). say an average set of uncoated strings last about 30 hours, so an hour a day.

most people don't play an hour a day, so when someone like you plays 3 hours minimum a day, your strings will wear out insanely fast, no matter which kind you use.

it might help to wipe your hands down every time they feel sweaty.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
Quote by fire_fret05

Nope. You don't need them. Some people swear by string cleaners and some, like myself, don't bother with them. Regardless of your opinion, don't use water. That will only cause more problems.

I should also add that I replace all my strings bi-monthly or so.
Last edited by GC Shred Off at Mar 4, 2009,
Quote by about
lets say guitar strings are designed to last for x amount of hours of playing on average conditions (someone who doesn't wipe their strings down and only cleans the fretboard not very often). say an average set of uncoated strings last about 30 hours, so an hour a day.

most people don't play an hour a day, so when someone like you plays 3 hours minimum a day, your strings will wear out insanely fast, no matter which kind you use.

it might help to wipe your hands down every time they feel sweaty.

LOL... there's about a dozen sweaty palms jokes that came to mind when I read that last line. Good advice, just funny too.
2001 Gibson USA Les Paul Studio Black/Gold
2008 Alvarez-Yairi DY40C
2004 Taylor 310
Marshall AVT275

Ex guits 2002 Ovation Elite, 1995 Seagull 12 BC Rich Gunslinger Snakeskin Various Yamaha Various Sammick Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone ES
a friend of mine told me that you can boil your strings, he swears by it, but ive never tried it. he says it cleans them all off like new and brings the tone back to almost like new. its worth a try i guess, nothin really to lose, if it works then you wont have to buy new strings all the time, if not oh well..........

i just buy 12 packs of strings so i dont bother.
^ Many people claim that it works. If you ever try it, don't use the same pot to cook food again. The only problem with boiling idea is that the strings will tend to weaken at the top where they're tied around the post.
Equipment:

Quote by captivate
...don't use the same pot to cook food again.

Brunswick stew, with a hint of Ernie Ball, served with Dean Markley potatoes and DR macaroni...

I tried it once. Didn't really seem to do anything except bring back that orginal shine on the metal windings. To me, the tone difference was a bit noticeable but minute, not worth the bother...
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95

Quote by Basti95

Quote by roguesound
a friend of mine told me that you can boil your strings, he swears by it, but ive never tried it. he says it cleans them all off like new and brings the tone back to almost like new.

Utter nonsense. It may take a bit of the residue off, but otherwise is a total waste of time.
I just wipe my strings down at the end of the day. I like my strings to sound well worn in.

String cleaners are a waste of money if you ask me.

Water, will ruin your strings.
You have enemies? Good. That means
you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Badger Land at Mar 5, 2009,
Quote by GC Shred Off
Utter nonsense. It may take a bit of the residue off, but otherwise is a total waste of time.

Ya thats what i figured, thats why i never did it, seemed silly to me.
I keep getting myself some alcohol wipes from the hospital - they're used for swabbing injects and the like. They're pretty effective.

But yeah, wash hands, wipe down guitar
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
It's an acoustic, slow it down, get some lemonade, go to the beach, play "i'm yours" by jason mraz, get women...
^ Just be careful with alcohol, it can ruin certain finishes, if i'm not mistaken.
Equipment:

Quote by captivate
^ Just be careful with alcohol, it can ruin certain finishes, if i'm not mistaken.

...oohh ****.
I've been using this for half a year on my 12 string. Do you know which finishes they are?

Will it make a big impact?
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
It's an acoustic, slow it down, get some lemonade, go to the beach, play "i'm yours" by jason mraz, get women...
Quote by tom the taffer
...oohh ****.
I've been using this for half a year on my 12 string. Do you know which finishes they are?

Will it make a big impact?
Well, have you noticed any change on the finish of your guitar? I'm pretty sure you'd be able to tell if you've been doing it for half a year.
Hmm, not really. Although i'll check properly when i get home tonight. Mind you, its only gently touching the strings - we're talking about a tiny patch coated in alcohol, thats used for swabs. It just glides over them, then it evaporates and i wipe it.

Still think i should be careful?
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
It should be ok as long as it's only touching your strings. I'm not sure which type of finish is affected by it, but it's most likely some sort of high gloss finish. Can anyone else confirm this? Again, i'm not 100% sure.
Equipment:

Thanks, i'll have look myself if i dont get an answer on here.

I feel all the wiser now...kind of.
Quote by FightinIrishPJ