Hey there everybody!

I am thinking about purchasing a bass, but the deal is... Well... This will be my first one!!! hahaha

I am a 6 string player... But I can play alot of bass riffs (Schism - Tool), (Dazed and Confused - Led Zeppelin), (War Pigs - Black Sabbath), etc. Plus I write alot of bass riffs for my old band and for my solo project. (I can play them on the bass as well)

But my problem is, is when I hit the market to look for one... My mind goes absolute blank and I have no idea what I am doing.

I would love to give a price... Plus some suggestions! But usually when ppl ask those type of questions their mind goes right to their belief. And thats not what I need. I just need info.

Sorry for any noob questions fellas... But I know you guys usually get a good kicker out of these threads!

Thanks in advance!
From a guy named Mike
Originally posted by justinhawkins

id knock boots with paris any day, but i bet robert plant has a better-sounding orgasm
if you gave a genre that might help or are you looking for versatility between genres? people will say fender jazz for versatility but if you're not a fan of the feel of them(as i am not) then I simply suggest trying many basses through many amps at a local store and decide for yourself.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Head to the FAQ- a good selection of beginner basses and beginner amps, whilst trying to be as impartial as possible.

Ok... Well, I don't think I am asking the proper question...

What are some of the key points that goes into a good bass.. Like, Why is the geddy lee signature 1100 and the Squires are 400? Are there any similarities in bass as there in guitar (Of course with brand names and what not)?

I am not a begginer musician, but morely a noobie buyer... And the worst feeling is when I am guided around by a 17 year old "know-it-all" at the music store.
From a guy named Mike

id knock boots with paris any day, but i bet robert plant has a better-sounding orgasm
Quote by Revelation
if you gave a genre that might help or are you looking for versatility between genres? people will say fender jazz for versatility but if you're not a fan of the feel of them(as i am not) then I simply suggest trying many basses through many amps at a local store and decide for yourself.

Versatility is what I am after. Sorry, Should have put that on there... I guess I am a noobie poster too! hahaha
From a guy named Mike

Ibanez makes some incredibly versatile basses that hardly cost anything compared to their contemporaries. The best beginner there is probably the GSR200 (proud to say I started on one).
Everyone here seems to love the Squier VM's, lots of bang for your buck, and I find Trabens to be excellent lower-price-range basses if you can get past their awkward feeling.
and you arnt supposed to double post.... edit your old post.... and by 6 string do you mean guitar? also i would do what revelation said. its all preference... also not having a price range isnt good.
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
The one thing I have been having my eye on if you guys SOOO desperatly need is the geddy lee sig. fender a mark bass combo. So there you go... Let your mind have at it
From a guy named Mike

Excuse me whilst I clean the saliva from my dropped jaw. I'm pretty sure I've tried to sell my soul at one time or another for a bass/amp combo like that!
The combos by Mark Bass are pretty good from my experience, but like always, their real quality lies in their separate heads and cabs.
And you can't really go wrong with the Geddy Lee sig. Sounds good!
So as you can see... I am just looking for quality... And why it is quality. See, I just went with that because I know Geddy lee is a god at bass and Markbass is supposively very good. But I have no idea why! Like I said... NOOB! LOL
From a guy named Mike

Haha, ok, well, the Fender Jazz's are great basses already. The Geddy Lee is the god of all Jazz's. Its pretty much a Jazz bass of the highest quality parts Fender will offer you, with nice wood, better pickups, and some nice active circuitry to boot, so you can have more knobs and switches to play with. As for Mark Bass, they're just generally manufactured with good quality control, and are built to high standards, and at least in the more expensive price ranges, the "quality for price" ratio is generally better then other brands like Ampeg
Ya it seems like ampeg would be the "marshall" of bass amps... My last bass player had one and even with the EQ it never sounded good.

Now I know you were saying that the head and cab's of Markbass are better than the combo... But I never would gig with a full out stack. Is it still a good choice to go with markbass or would there be something out there that is better or more suited for my needs
From a guy named Mike

First off, I didn't mean to disparage Ampeg, I love the brand to death, and they make some of the best stuff if its set up right, I was just speaking out against the ridiculous prices.

First off, how are you gigging? Are you gigging often, and if so, how big are the places?
Its just for studio and home purposes. But for studio I want something that can compete with them big rigs out there.
From a guy named Mike

hmmm, well you wouldn't need a ridiculously huge rig, of course it all depends on how much you want to spend.
My friend has an Acoustic 8x10 that sounds pretty good, seeing as it only cost him $750 or $800, and he just canceled his order on a new Ampeg head in favor of a cheaper (and IMO much better sounding) Mark Bass head. My advice on amps is go to Guitar Center, try some combos, then ask the guys at the counter to hook up some different head/cab combinations, see what you like. An 8x10 might be a bit much, but maybe a 4x12 would be better suited to your purposes
i imagine he means he would be gigging in time as he's new to buying a bass but who knows. Ampeg tube amps are nice but i feel like their solid state amps are a poor try at getting the ampeg tube tone into a SS head.

anyways, the same things apply to good basses as in good guitars in construction such as fretboard radius and low action and such. better basses are built to higher standards and with better electronics and pickups. In bass the point of a full stack isn't always to get more volume like with guitar. It's to mix and match speaker sizes and cabinet constructions to get your personal tone. The volume is usually just an added benefit. That said my 2 4x10's put together have a much better low end than either single 4x10 alone simply because you are pushing more air.

If you play and like the feel of the geddy lee jazz I'd say go for it. If you've got that kind of budget why not. You're obviously already very interested in bass and have been for a while. To me the point of lower end basses are that they're easier on your budget and if you decide you're just not into it at some point you didn't waste as much money. See if you can find a local shop with both the bass and the amp and try them together. Also try the bass with different amps and the amps with different basses. works just like guitar. If you find that's your best fit. get it.

EDIT: thought i'd throw in my two cents on differents speakers and their uses.

10's: great high end and punch. can be lacking in low end but when used in large numbers they definitely get the job done without losing punch and clarity.

12's: The best stand alone speakers IMO. They are almost as punchy as 10's and cover the highs as well as the lows pretty darn well.

15's: great low end. can be flabby. usually used in conjunction with a 4x10 or 2x12(depending on your tastes) Certain 15's will be much more punchy than others due to the speakers themselves as well as cab construction but will not be as punchy or have as good of high end as 12's or espcially 10's.

18's: for serious bottom end. If you wanna rumble get an 18" speaker. But you will lose definition and punch. especially on the high end. 18's are almost always used for biamping(with a crossover, just like how a car stereo sends the lows to the subwoofer in the trunk and the mids and highs to the regular car speakers) or in conjunction with a 2x12/4x10 to help with the loss of punch/clarity and treble range.

anything bigger: Seriously? bigger than 18? ya. I saw a 21"...i think it was from bag end or something like that. I don't think you can get bigger than 18 without going with boutique gear. obviously bigger than 18 will do even better bottom end for things like extended range basses(7 strings and more is all these cabs should be used for imo) If you have a low F# these babies will make them rumble real nice.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu