what pedals would give me good ska tone? I have Distortion and Delay already. I like Reel Big Fish kind of tone.
i mean, a clean channel is really all you need.
ive never had to use pedals to play ska.

just staccatto the hell out of your chords, go crazy with upstrokes, and keep time in funky rhythm and BAM

ska.
Ibanez S520ex
Epiphone G-400
Roland Microcube
Alvarez MC90
ska tone doesn't exist
find something you like
distortion for the punk/rock portions of reel big fish

otherwise a good, punchy clean is all you need for the upstrokes
delay would come in handy for slower reggae-ish songs
I want Super Saiyan abilities
compressor wouldnt hurt, yeah it would probably sound good, buts not totally necessary you know?

still....
its more in how you play than what pedals you're running it through.
Ibanez S520ex
Epiphone G-400
Roland Microcube
Alvarez MC90
i think you want to look at amps and guitars to get the tones you want rather than pedals. i wanna say orange or marshall amplification, but idk? maybe you can search guitargeek.com for some rigs of artists you like.
any amp with a nice, clean, bright sound is what you want. Pedals and guitars are "whatever" for "ska" tone, but you need a nice, clean bright amp for a good "ska" tone.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
mod your guitar's pickups to go out of phase, there's your ska tone.

also compressor and maybe light drive (built in drive from almost any amp will do)
Quote by reelbigfish2020
i think you want to look at amps and guitars to get the tones you want rather than pedals. i wanna say orange or marshall amplification, but idk? maybe you can search guitargeek.com for some rigs of artists you like.

Uhh no. The generic 'ska' tone is all clean guitars. Marshall is known for hi-gain British overdrive and Orange for the mid gain-crunch.

Basically a clean amp (doesn't really matter honestly, Fender if you want a brand) through a single coil guitar played with staccatos on the offbeat.
Quote by Siren Silently
Uhh no. The generic 'ska' tone is all clean guitars. Marshall is known for hi-gain British overdrive and Orange for the mid gain-crunch.

Basically a clean amp (doesn't really matter honestly, Fender if you want a brand) through a single coil guitar played with staccatos on the offbeat.

I believe you have Marshall and Orange backwards. Orange has always had more of a bite than Marshall. To say Marshall is a high gain amp proves you haven't played many, if any Marshall tube amps.

The JCM800, 900, and 2000 have about as much gain as AC/DC or GnR. Not too much. They are overall bright, spanky, and a little gritty.

For a punk sound, Marshall IMO is ideal. It gets dirty enough to give your tone that edge, and clean enough to remain unsaturated and fizzly.

A compressor is a good pedal to have for playing clean. It keeps your loud notes from being too loud, and it boosts your lighter playing to make it louder.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
The ska sound is mostly from the kind of chords you use (ska chords. Duh : D) and your strumming style. Get those down before you start pursuing the sound with equipment. (This is coming from a huge ska fan who has spent a very long time studying the style of guitar playing)

(As a side note, single coils are said to work better, but Tomas from Streetlight Manifesto and Chris from Less Than Jake both play humbuckers. The guy from Reel Big Fish might too, I'm not sure.)
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by MESAexplorer
I believe you have Marshall and Orange backwards. Orange has always had more of a bite than Marshall. To say Marshall is a high gain amp proves you haven't played many, if any Marshall tube amps.

The JCM800, 900, and 2000 have about as much gain as AC/DC or GnR. Not too much. They are overall bright, spanky, and a little gritty.

For a punk sound, Marshall IMO is ideal. It gets dirty enough to give your tone that edge, and clean enough to remain unsaturated and fizzly.

A compressor is a good pedal to have for playing clean. It keeps your loud notes from being too loud, and it boosts your lighter playing to make it louder.

I consider Marshall hi-gain (or high-er gain, god forbid someone get offended) because I play a DRRI. Sure JCMs are not metal machines, but the gain is enough to cover just about every rock style.

Where did I say Marshall had more 'bite'? Both do about the same Vintage Brit crunch anyhow, just Marshall has a looser sounding gain while Orange is throatier. Neither would work for ska, which is my point, not sure why you are trying to pick an argument with me.
Quote by Siren Silently
I consider Marshall hi-gain (or high-er gain, god forbid someone get offended) because I play a DRRI. Sure JCMs are not metal machines, but the gain is enough to cover just about every rock style.

Where did I say Marshall had more 'bite'? Both do about the same Vintage Brit crunch anyhow, just Marshall has a looser sounding gain while Orange is throatier. Neither would work for ska, which is my point, not sure why you are trying to pick an argument with me.

I'm not trying to pick a fight, I'm trying to figure out where you find Marshall's have high gain. On the Ska topic of having amps that are rather bright, having a good deal of bite in the amp helps it out a good bit. Bite = Pick attack dynamics.

Either amp would do ska well. Don't need to have the guitar plugged into the high gain input or have the gain channel running. Just having El34's is suitable.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
I'm not trying to pick a fight, I'm trying to figure out where you find Marshall's have high gain. On the Ska topic of having amps that are rather bright, having a good deal of bite in the amp helps it out a good bit. Bite = Pick attack dynamics.

Either amp would do ska well. Don't need to have the guitar plugged into the high gain input or have the gain channel running. Just having El34's is suitable.

Marshall can do early metal; thats pretty high in my book (BROOTAL DEATH METAL would be classified as 'obscenely high gain').

I just think spending that kind of money on amp that is known for its gain is trivial when you want a sound that's pretty much all clean.
actually, a marshall would be a good choice. Marshall's can do cleans, as well, and with the volume they get, you can get effin' loud cleans out of them. They're bright and spanky, too, so they'd work well. Just because an amp is known for something, doesn't mean it can't do other things. I mean, Fenders are known for their sparkling pretty cleans, but that doesn't mean they don't get dirty just as well. Voxes are known for their bright, jangly voice, but when you push 'em, they nasty up nicely.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
rx bandits use mesa triple rectifiers
streelight manifesto uses marshalls
lots of ska band use marshall

don't judge an amp based on what it's "known for"
According to Sid McCall, who I believe whole heartedly, Tomas of Streetlight Manifesto uses a Mesa Rack and a Single Rectifier into a Marshall 1960A Cab. So Mesa mixed with Marshall. I trust Sid to know what he is talking about.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
Yeah, Streetlight is a Mesa, not sure which though

But what I've got works nicely, err, well enough for practice/small gigs lol
Fender Deluxe Player's Strat
Fender FM 65 DSP
Line 6 UberMetal distortion
Danelectro Fish N' Chips EQ
Punchy cleans with no bass and going crazy with the upstrokes.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']
There are people in this world who don't feel it necessary to vomit sunshine 24 hours a day. I'm one of them.

Current Gear
Yamaha EG 112
Esteban American Legacy
Jay Turser JTB-400M
Fender Frontman 212R
Effects
DigitTech RP50
Quote by Siren Silently
Marshall can do early metal; thats pretty high in my book (BROOTAL DEATH METAL would be classified as 'obscenely high gain').

I just think spending that kind of money on amp that is known for its gain is trivial when you want a sound that's pretty much all clean.

They can do early metal...if you crank the master volume and run the guitar into the high gain input and jump the leads...

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
my mistake
i just saw the marshall cabs at the last show i went to
Oh by the way.

Typically when I play ska, I use a hell alot of bass. I don't like a very trebley sound. Roll off the tone and volume, and I usually keep my gryphon on the humbucker setting using the bridge for riffs, both humbuckers or the neck for rhythm work. TS find your own settings, play what you think sounds good, otherwise you might end up sounding like everyone else.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
If that's the case, VOX ftw.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by JF-SH1
According to Sid McCall, who I believe whole heartedly, Tomas of Streetlight Manifesto uses a Mesa Rack and a Single Rectifier into a Marshall 1960A Cab. So Mesa mixed with Marshall. I trust Sid to know what he is talking about.

Hahaha you beat me to this thread with exactly what I was about to say (other than the praising myself part).

Ska tone isn't a set tone. Just play on a clean channel of an amp that isn't exactly known for its cleans (for 3rd wave ska which is what you want).

Aaron Barrett plays a JCM900 which is not known for an awesome clean channel, and he has that little bit of grit. In fact on their tours around 06-07 he used a volume pedal on the gain channel, and would roll it back to get his clean tone.

There really isn't a science to this sound unless you're trying to emulate the guys with their slapback delays and tape echo (a la new Big D and the older cats in the first and second waves) then you need to spend some time with a good delay pedal.

There you go.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Ha ha, sorry for stealing a tad of your thunder Sid. Couldn't help myself. Ha ha ha.

Quote by JF-SH1
Ha ha, sorry for stealing a tad of your thunder Sid. Couldn't help myself. Ha ha ha.

Are you stalking me? Hah it's all good, I'm glad someone finally took my advice to heart around here.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
More than happy to my good sir. And no I'm not stalking you. I haven't put banners up outside your house or tried to blow up your car. Yet... Ha ha ha.