My trade includes my Geddy Lee signature, Fender 24 Maple Quilt Jazz Bass 24 fret, and Squier Fretless. Go for it? All for a 78 Ric, my dream bass in blue.
Quote by FbSa
^That's it! No other idea will even come close to that one. Joetime get's a pizza!
Well... that really depeneds man. Do you gig frequently? If you do, do you play in different tunings? Because if you do, then you should either keep your basses, or trade for the Ric, but make sure you have enough cash to buy a second bass or so.
I play guitar in a ska band.
Modded MIM Strat > Fender Tuner > Bugera V55HD > Custom built 2x12
I used to play in a band, not anymore its more of a hobby. I've wanted a Ric since I started to play when I was 14. I don't really do any other tunings besides standard. He said for those three and $300 I could have it.
Quote by FbSa
^That's it! No other idea will even come close to that one. Joetime get's a pizza!
I don't know, like the guy said try to keep the Squier, but can you really pass up a 78 ric?
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
Quote by solid_moose
I don't know, like the guy said try to keep the Squier, but can you really pass up a 78 ric?

No, I don't really think I can

But the Squier was cheap enough, I can always get another, I have a steady job to get another better bass than a Squier after about a month or so. I feel like I don't have too much to lose.
Quote by FbSa
maybe throw in an extra $150 or so and keep the fretless, just cause its nice to have a spare bass every once in a while?
True, but truth is I don't really play the Squier, as decent as it is. Fretless isn't really my thing, I don't sound good with it at all.
Quote by FbSa
Just the Geddy.
Quote by FbSa
Hmm, well, a '78 Ric most definitely sets my epic-meter off a lot faster then a mere Geddy Lee. Go for it!
Sweet. I will try to make a deal to at least keep one, even if it means hawking up a little more cash. Thanks for the opinions. I'll post pics if I get it!
Quote by FbSa
What for? If you want it, get it!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
No, don't do that is a ripp off. 3 basses and $300 for just one Ric is just too one sided. Keep your basses. Rics arn't for everyone either alot of people find them akward and uncomfy.
I own a ric (a 2007 model, but a ric nonetheless) and I can't say I've ever regretted anything less in my life. They really are beautiful instruments, physically and tonally and you'll probably feel honoured just to be playing one.
Of course they have their downsides, most notably a lack of versatility, especially in earlier models, so bear that in mind before you give all your jazz basses away. The feel is also quite strange, but that's more something you have to get used to. However, the ric tone is, in my opinion sexiful enough to suit any genre anyway, so if you feel similarly, this is less of an issue.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
I say go for it. it's your dream bass, and as you say have a steady job so you can buy a more versatile bass down the line. make sure you try before you buy though, if you haven't played a Ric before.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
I shall point out that there is a massive market for used ricks in comparison to getting them new for a reason. A lot of people get them and then don't like them, after getting hyped up about them as as fantasy bass, then finding it isn't for them. Make sure you can spend some time with the bass first to see if you like the tone and feel/
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Geddy Lee- $400
Jazz 24 - $350
Squier FL- $200
cash- $300
--------
$1250 (+/- $100)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-78-Rickenbacker-4001-Bass-Chris-Squire-story_W0QQitemZ150328773911QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item150328773911&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

not a rip off but, top dollar for sure. btw, notice there are no bids, interesting?
i personally wouldn't trade all my basses for one Rick. but thats just me.
good luck.
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
Geddy Lee- $400
Jazz 24 - $350
Squier FL- $200
cash- $300
--------
$1250 (+/- $100)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-78-Rickenbacker-4001-Bass-Chris-Squire-story_W0QQitemZ150328773911QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item150328773911&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

not a rip off but, top dollar for sure. btw, notice there are no bids, interesting?
i personally wouldn't trade all my basses for one Rick. but thats just me.
good luck.

Seymour Ducan, rather than rickenbacker pickups will be why there are no bids. As good as they may or may not be, people getting a Rick will want it as close to factory as possible.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Ive heard bad things about older ricks, arent the nekcs supposed to be fragile and other problems, i dont think i owuld swap all those bass's for the rick.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by Sergeant Madd
No, don't do that is a ripp off. 3 basses and $300 for just one Ric is just too one sided. Keep your basses. Rics arn't for everyone either alot of people find them akward and uncomfy.

You have to keep in mind it's vintage or will be soon don't know the cutoff for vintage instruments so really it can be used as a huge investment. If he doesn't like it, he said he has a steady job so he can buy a new bass and keep the Ric for a few years. After that he can get a great deal of cash for selling.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Well if it's for vintage reasons you want it then make sure it has all original parts and doesn't have any neck issues.
I have played it before, the only two things I don't like about it are that the strings are dead, and it has a large neck (the neck stays the same width on these all the way down, at the higher frets, its no problem, but the lower notes, not the most pleasant thing to handle.)

I'm a small guy I'm only 5'4" so the Ric does feel huge on me. I'm used to the slim Geddy neck, and standard Jazz, despite their 34" scale. The size is the only turn off for me. I'm not getting any bigger, and I'm starting to wonder if it would be a wise investment. If it is vintage, it will always carry a good price with it if I ever wanted to get rid of it as one of you pointed out.
Quote by FbSa
If you don't like the way a bass feels then don't buy it because it's got a hyped up name.
If its uncomfortable to play, dont get it, i always look for comfort over sound, when i first try an instrument.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
i think almost everybody in this forum has a Rickenbacker fantasy. just not as a primary player. as i've said before, if a Rick could sound like a Jazz, it would rule the bass world.
if I was you I'd keep your basses and leave the Ric, do what you feel right though, get it if your heart is set on it.
Quote by gm jack
I shall point out that there is a massive market for used ricks in comparison to getting them new for a reason. A lot of people get them and then don't like them, after getting hyped up about them as as fantasy bass, then finding it isn't for them. Make sure you can spend some time with the bass first to see if you like the tone and feel/

that would be a perfectly valid theroy if rickenbacker MADE enough basses for there to be a sizable market for newwer models
when you have a 3 year backlog it's hard to judge things like that

also, dont do it, 3 basses for one is ALWAYS a bad deal, hell find a chump and your probably half way there just by selling the geddy.

but ricks are totaly sexy