Ive been looking to buy a Les paul and quite frankly I dont want to spend near 3K on a gibby one even if its better (who knows by how much).
So ive been looking for a higher end Epiphone les paul and a custom looks pretty good but how are the craftmanship compared to the standard..is it made in the same place? etc etc
thanks for any info
Epi custom goes for about 900 bucks new at Long and Mcquade...but i found a few ads on Craigslist that are about 500-600 bucks.

*prices are in Canadian dollars*
27mMoV31II7.a2
Quote by Oujou
It's Kinda an amazing deal really.

Serious?
27mMoV31II7.a2
Quote by _Sanitarium_
Don't self bump your threads.....

And $500 for that is about right if not a little less then what it should go for.

My bad dude.
Sounds about right but can someone tell me the difference b/w the standard and the custom...I mean is it better made by any means? is it made in the same place? etc
27mMoV31II7.a2
I've owned pretty much all the Les Paul offerings from Epiphone. The Standard sounds, and is probably made the same, as the Custom.

$500 for one in today's market is pretty good. I sold one a few months old early last year for $500.
Quote by ch0
I've owned pretty much all the Les Paul offerings from Epiphone. The Standard sounds, and is probably made the same, as the Custom.

$500 for one in today's market is pretty good. I sold one a few months old early last year for $500.
$450 for this MIJ Epi LP Custom:

That looks like a great deal to me.
Grab it before it gets taken.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by Ippon
$450 for this MIJ Epi LP Custom:

Are all epi customs MIJ? or just that one u lucky guy
27mMoV31II7.a2
I didn't realize Epi was still making LP's in Japan that weren't the "elitist" models or whatever they called them (kind of a snobby name...), is that an older model, like 80s?

Now-a-days, about 90% of Epiphone LP's are coming from China, a few are still popping up from Korea. Honestly, no big differance between the two, they go through the same QC.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
The Gibson brand name is owned by some other company in Japan. So for Gibson to move product there they brand everything Epiphone (they used to be called Orville). They're made in Japan and are supposed to be for the Japanese market only; naturally a few find their way off the island.

$450 for a MIJ Epiphone isn't going to happen anymore. Not like it matters though, who wants an LP custom with a rosewood fretboard?

Edit: The only things I like about that LP Ippon posted are the headstock and the nice white bindings. Other than that I'd rather just save harder and have a real Gibson LP Custom. Ebony fretboard and MOP inlays ftw.
Last edited by ch0 at Mar 4, 2009,
Quote by ch0
The Gibson brand name is owned by some other company in Japan. So for Gibson to move product there they brand everything Epiphone (they used to be called Orville). They're made in Japan and are supposed to be for the Japanese market only; naturally a few find their way off the island.

$450 for a MIJ Epiphone isn't going to happen anymore. Not like it matters though, who wants an LP custom with a rosewood fretboard?

Edit: The only things I like about that LP Ippon posted are the headstock and the nice white bindings. Other than that I'd rather just save harder and have a real Gibson LP Custom. Ebony fretboard and MOP inlays ftw.

They don't make any Epiphones in Japan, they haven't done for years save for the now discontinued Elitists - they're all made in China or Korea.

Epiphone were one of Gibson's mane competitors in the US and they bought the company years ago, the Epiphone brand has been used worldwide for cheaper versions of Gibson models for 20 or 30 years. The Orville thing was completely separate.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Mar 4, 2009,
well i would make sure about whether you're buying a real one or a fake one, ive seen a few adds on craigslist before that are selling fake epi customs, spi customs are honestly probably the most faked epi guitar there is, because its probably the most popular, specially the white one.
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.
Quote by MetaMegaMagic
I'd rather get an Agile, I've heard good things about the 200-300 dollar Les Paul copies. A lot of people claim for them to sound better than Gibsons, which I find unlikely.

I'm one of those people The week I got my Agile AL2800 baritone I took it to band practice and let our guitarist play it. He owns a Epi LP Custom and a Gibson LP Studio and was blown away by how mine played. I paid $359 brand new for mine.
Quote by steven seagull
They don't make any Epiphones in Japan, they haven't done for years save for the now discontinued Elitists - they're all made in China or Korea.

Epiphone were one of Gibson's mane competitors in the US and they bought the company years ago, the Epiphone brand has been used worldwide for cheaper versions of Gibson models for 20 or 30 years. The Orville thing was completely separate.

http://www.guitarsjapan.com/orvillegibsoninfopage.html

no, he was right. Epiphone Japan replaced Orville in Japan.

And Gibson didn't buy Epiphone, Gibson's parent company: Chicago Music Company bought Epiphone in 1957. Since the get go, there've been cheaper versions of gibsons being made by epiphone, just not as many as there are today. But, yeah, epiphones are still being made in japan, I just didn't think of a japanese market guitar.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
There are definitely still MIJ Epiphones, called the 'Elite' models (note: not 'Elitist'). They're intended solely for the Japanese home market and are made in the same factory ESP's LTD range are made in. They're supposidly pretty good, a little between regular Epi and Epi Elitist standards, though I've never gotten the chance to try one myself so I couldn't say for sure.

Anyhoo.

As far as Epi Standard vs Epi Custom goes, they're built to the same standard, with the same parts. The only differences basically are the finishes. When Epi were still made in Korea the Customs were made with two-piece bodies and the Standards were made with three-piece bodies, but since the move to China a couple of years ago they've all been standardised to be made in the same way.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Since you live in B.C, Look at some Sparrow guitars. Ie the Rat Rod
Gibson 1972 SG Pro T-Top Bridge, P90 Neck
Dean DBD T ML
Jackson JS30RR EMGs 85-81
Epiphone G-400 Goth
76 Mann Les Paul Custom
Fender f-230 Accoustic
Randall RG-180 DX
Line6 Spider III HD75 Head - Behringer 412
Saving for a Marshall JCM 800.
Quote by ch0
... $450 for a MIJ Epiphone isn't going to happen anymore. Not like it matters though, who wants an LP custom with a rosewood fretboard?

There's nothing wrong with Rosewood ... some prefer it to everything else. Also, Ebony doesn't necessarily mean Black as Black ... some are striped, some are light-colored, etc. That fretboard is striped Ebony, also popular with Gibson CS LPs.

That is also MOP ... the new Gibson LP Custom is Acrylic.
http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/Les-Paul-Custom.aspx

Quote by MrFlibble
... They're supposidly pretty good, a little between regular Epi and Epi Elitist standards, though I've never gotten the chance to try one myself so I couldn't say for sure. ...
It goes like this: Regular Epi < Elitist < Elite (the model I posted)

Eh, I find it hard to believe. The Elitists I've played have been incredible guitars (considering the price tags), and the two people I know who have lived in Japan for the last five years (I'm a weeaboo ******, I know) have told me their three 'Elite' models are just a bit better than the standard Epis. Unless Japan's standard Epis are also amazing, I would assume 'a bit better' does not equal up to the fantastic quality I've found in the Elitist series.

It also wouldn't make sense if the Elite were better than the Elitist, since the Elitist were made with higher quality materials.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Eh, I find it hard to believe. The Elitists I've played have been incredible guitars (considering the price tags), and the two people I know who have lived in Japan for the last five years (I'm a weeaboo ******, I know) have told me their three 'Elite' models are just a bit better than the standard Epis. Unless Japan's standard Epis are also amazing, I would assume 'a bit better' does not equal up to the fantastic quality I've found in the Elitist series.

It also wouldn't make sense if the Elite were better than the Elitist, since the Elitist were made with higher quality materials.
Not really. The Elite, which is made for the local Japan market, also has better finish than the Elitists which is for sale outside of Japan. The LE model I posted also came with Gibson BurstBusckers ... superior to the MIA Epi PUs on the Elitist. There are many reasons the Elite sells much higher than the Elitists on eBay. You need to audition the Elite LP, including the SG.