I have a little background playing guitar, but not much. Used to own an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus and a Peavey practice amp. Other than that, a few acoustics & the likes. But, I'm itching for the electric fun again.

I'd like to get an amp/guitar for about $900 if possible, leaving about $300 for the pedals, cords, picks, strings, case on my list.

I realize this is a tight budget, but this is just for fun - not playing in a band, nor do I intend to.

Guitar: I've pretty much decided on the Ibanez S320 S Series (weathered black finish). I picked up an ibanez awhile back and loved the feel and playability. This one has excellent reviews, and I love the look.

For an amp - wow, can't decide here. I have about $300-400 left on an amp. I'd like to stay at $300 but may be able to stretch to $400. Is this unreasonable? Saw the Fender Frontman 212, but the reviews were mixed - in fact, one review specifically said that the Frontman sounded better with his Squier than his Ibanez. What amp would you buy?
Go used man. Look on Craigslist or Ebay; I bought an old school Line 6 AX2 2x12 w/ the longboard footcontroller for 200 bucks.
I personally like Line 6s and 6506+... but that latter might be a little out of your price range. Hahaha.
I play guitar in a ska band.
Modded MIM Strat > Fender Tuner > Bugera V55HD > Custom built 2x12
I would get a B-52 AT-112. It's about $349.
A poor guitarist for two years' gear:
Dean Vendetta XM
Roland Microcube

Getting/Saving up for:
Jackson Dinky MG Series (Transparent Red)
B-52 AT 112 - Amp choice still deciding but I have about $140 towards an amp.
that B52 looks very nice. Would that, paired with a distortion pedal like the Metal Muff provide a good mix for general clean/distortion switching?
Actually, the built-in distortion on B-52's are great, I'm sure using the channels will be enough.

What genres are you planning to cover?
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
I left off playing grunge/heavy, learning a few scales. The first thing I'll do once getting this setup, is attempt to learn some clean Jack Johnson tunes.
That guitar is very good for the price. I wouldnt get the Frontman though. The B52 BleakHarvest suggested would be a very good amp though. I think its cleans are decent enough, and the gain is good too.
Also try out the classic 30, they sell used on craigslist for $300 all the time. Quality amp for that price, also 2 channels. The B-52 is a bit more modern, and a good value at $360 right now on musiciansfriend. Keep an eye on your craigslist, all kinds of good stuff comes up cheap.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
Also try out the classic 30, they sell used on craigslist for $300 all the time. Quality amp for that price, also 2 channels. The B-52 is a bit more modern, and a good value at $360 right now on musiciansfriend. Keep an eye on your craigslist, all kinds of good stuff comes up cheap.

Yeah, I used to have a C30. Only problem is it wont have enough gain for grunge/heavy stuff. Its good for prettymuch classic rock/metal (Maiden) levels of gain. Not very much.
Quote by littlephil
Yeah, I used to have a C30. Only problem is it wont have enough gain for grunge/heavy stuff. Its good for prettymuch classic rock/metal (Maiden) levels of gain. Not very much.

Did you boost the gain channel? Go check MatrixClaw's and Highwaytohell's clips. Boost the gain channel and it's more of a metal machine than you are giving it credit for. On it's own, it's old school metal. I had the Delta Blues, which is essentially a classic 30 with tremolo and bigger speaker options. Great clean tones, nearly as good as my fender.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
Did you boost the gain channel? Go check MatrixClaw's and Highwaytohell's clips. Boost the gain channel and it's more of a metal machine than you are giving it credit for. On it's own, it's old school metal. I had the Delta Blues, which is essentially a classic 30 with tremolo and bigger speaker options. Great clean tones, nearly as good as my fender.

Yeah I was boosting it. The gain still didnt sound as good as a naturally higher gain amp. The cleans were great though.
Quote by keith204
I have a little background playing guitar, but not much. Used to own an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus and a Peavey practice amp. Other than that, a few acoustics & the likes. But, I'm itching for the electric fun again.

I'd like to get an amp/guitar for about $900 if possible, leaving about $300 for the pedals, cords, picks, strings, case on my list.

I realize this is a tight budget, but this is just for fun - not playing in a band, nor do I intend to.

Guitar: I've pretty much decided on the Ibanez S320 S Series (weathered black finish). I picked up an ibanez awhile back and loved the feel and playability. This one has excellent reviews, and I love the look.

For an amp - wow, can't decide here. I have about $300-400 left on an amp. I'd like to stay at $300 but may be able to stretch to $400. Is this unreasonable? Saw the Fender Frontman 212, but the reviews were mixed - in fact, one review specifically said that the Frontman sounded better with his Squier than his Ibanez. What amp would you buy?

Instead of investing in an amp, pedals, etc, have you considered something like the Line 6 Pod Studio UX2 and a decent set of headphones? That's what I did, and it's saved me a lot of space and clutter. I can also play it through my stereo. I'm just getting back into guitar after a 20+ year lull, and it's such a different world than the 70's and early 80's.
Vox Valvetronix. (Just dont play the presets and it can get amazing sounds, not too expensive either)