So am an good guitarist, and can play the solo to this song... but the damn intro riff, I remember learning it a year or two ago and I just cannot play it cleanly... theres something tricky about it. Most riffs I can just... play. But this thing is weird. Does anybody have this same issue? Whats going on?
Quote by Johnljones7443
Shredding is having control over your instrument and being free of technical obstacles so your music is not limited by your playing ability.

Quote by Aidy Damage
Classical Gas is when you fart and it smells like the inside of a violin. EVERYONE knows that. n00bs...
Quote by crzywhiteboy
i don't know any tricky intro parts. The song actually simple up to the tapping solo.

It depends I guess.

I find the Pre verse classical alternate picking like harder then the sweep taps, because I can do sweep taps better in general.

TS just re-learn the song, start out slow again. If at one point you could play it up to speed perfect, then it will come back again in less then a week or so.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by crzywhiteboy
i don't know any tricky intro parts. The song actually simple up to the tapping solo.

Different strokes and all that...different people practice different things to different standards remember.

TS: Don't worry about it, the problem is almost certainly that you're either noticing your mistakes more as your ear has developed more or that you're just out of practice. Just get back into the habit of playing it and you'll get it soon enough.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I assume you mean by Symphony X, if so halve the tempo man.

I got it by playing at 50 then 75 then 100%

Please use tags for tabs....
The intro? The little neo-classical sounding lick? That part was actually not that hard for me. I just recognized that the fingers do the same thing for every part, and just move around.

The tapping, now, is alot easier than it was when I first learned it xD But the little tapping licks are what get me.
hardest lick for me #1:

T        T     T     T     T          1
|-------------------13h19p16h19p16----------------------------------------------|
|-12h15h18----------------------------------------------------------------------|
|----------13h16h19-----------------19p16p13--14b~---------------------13-14-16-|
|--------------------------------------------------------------12-14-15---------|
|-----------------------------------------------------12-14-15------------------|
|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

#2:

T        T        T                      T                    T
|------------------------------------------14h16p14p11----------11h16p14p11h18p11|
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|--------11h13h16p13p11-------------11h13--------------13p11h13------------------|
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-h14h21----------------18p14p11h14----------------------------------------------|

#3:

|-h14p11-------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|--------13p11\----8-9-6~---8h9p8----------9-8-----------------------------------|
|---------------------------------9~--9-11-----9------------------------[color="RED"]14-13-11-|[/COLOR]
|------------------------------------------------11-9~------[color="RED"]12-11-9--------------|[/COLOR]
|-------------------------------------------------------------------[color="RED"]12-----------|[/COLOR]

[color="RED"]|----------------------------17-16-14-------------------------------/21~---------|
|----------------17-16-14-------------17-16-14-----------------------------------|
|----14-13-11-------------14-------------------16-14-13/-------------------------|
|-------------14-----------------------------------------------------------------|
|-12-----------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------|[/COLOR]

those are harder than the solos or tapping interlude to me
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
Last edited by Colton165 at Mar 5, 2009,
Yup those can be tricky.

They are written in patterns of 4, but they are grouped rhythmically in fives (quintuplets)

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
The tapping bits arent that hard if you watch Gustavo Guerra's video of it on YT

edit:

and incase you didnt notice the intro is the exact same motions over and over just in different spots on the keyboard

Please use tags for tabs....
Last edited by Camdon at Mar 5, 2009,
the intros the easiest bit lol erm
i cant do most of the solos im not amazing but erm i think maybe because you practice more solo techniques you forget to practice rythem techiques too? if so always do both
Quote by metallucas
the intros the easiest bit lol erm
i cant do most of the solos im not amazing but erm i think maybe because you practice more solo techniques you forget to practice rythem techiques too? if so always do both

well the pattern is very stylistic for neo classical (metal) and paganini used those patterns.

e|-12-15-14-15

I never played classical neo metal before learning the song, so I found that tricky, while I practiced the taps because First guitarist I loved was EVH.

If you play neoclassical it's standard.

It depends, there's not really "harder" stuff.

I can't play country, but I can sweep, while country guitarist can play country if it's their job, but can't sweep.

You can only measure difficulty within the technique.

Like a tapping lick on 1 string is obviously easier then a tapping lick with a stringskip in it.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Mar 6, 2009,