I'm working on a DIY pedalboard, but I can't decided which side of the velcro to attach to the bottom of my pedals. Do I use the soft (fuzzy) side or the thinner, plasticky side on my pedals?
"In Power Trios I Trust..."
Gibson SG Classic, Fender CP Jaguar Special HH, '65 RI Mustang
'65 Ampeg Gemini I G-12 Combo, Orange Tiny Terror
Generally the carpet goes on the board and the plastic on the pedals. That's how I did it when I had a board and I believe that's how most factory board are made.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
If you do it the carpeted way, like kevin stated, you would be better off putting the sticky side on your pedals.

If you plan on taking your pedals off, and you have hardwood floor, you might consider using the soft side, or at least keeping the soft side stored conveniently to put back on the pedals to keep the floor scratch free if you plan on removing them from the board.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Kevin Saale
Generally the carpet goes on the board and the plastic on the pedals. That's how I did it when I had a board and I believe that's how most factory board are made.

That's what I thought. But then I took a look at my EHX Deluxe Memory Man, and I noticed that it had 6 circles with the soft (carpet) side on it.

I bought the unit used, so maybe the previous owner did this...or maybe this is just EHX being different...
Damn it! Now I'm more confused than ever.

Maybe I should have done this as a poll, then gone with the winner!
It'll work either way, so I wouldn't be too concerned.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Use the hook side because the woolly side wears down. IMO.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Use the plastic side.
just as said before, you can cover your board with carpet.
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
Use the hooks (thats the hard plastic one) on the pedals and the loops (carpetty) on the board. If you buy a board later then you don't have to redo everything. Also, some pedals like the digitech hardwire series comes with velcro (hooks). And having your pedals stick to your carpet should be considered a benefit
Ibanez SAS32FM
Dunlop Crybaby
Korg Pitchblack
Boss LS-2
Boss SD-1 + 2 x Clones... all modded of course
Fulltone GT2
Hardwire DL-8
Big Muff (Russian)
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Vox AC30CC2
I actually like the other way around. Think about it, you get:

>No sticking to your bedroom carpet
>No scratching up your hardwood floor
>The soft velcro eventually wears down, and it's easier to replace the relatively small amount of velcro used on pedals

against the pros of the other way around:

>Convention

Quote by bartdevil_metal
I actually like the other way around. Think about it, you get:

>No sticking to your bedroom carpet
>No scratching up your hardwood floor
>The soft velcro eventually wears down, and it's easier to replace the relatively small amount of velcro used on pedals

against the pros of the other way around:

>Convention

I was starting to feel like an idiot for thinking about doing it the other way around .

Glad to know someone else knows how much work it is to lay hardwood floor.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I've already headed down the "conventional" path, so I'll be going with the hook/plastic side on the pedal bottom and the soft/carpet side on the pedalboard.

But there's another advantage to doing it the other way around, especially if you have a lot of EHX pedals. The soft/carpet side of velcro is thicker and more padded. For pedals that have small screws around the base plate or even a screw-in battery cover, using the soft side would tend to even out the bottom of the pedal.

This isn't a problem with a typical pedalboard because its surface tends to be completely flat.

...Damn...I'm half inclined to redo things the unconventional way. So far, I've only wasted about an 18" x 2" strip from a 15-foot roll covering my pedal bottoms with the plastic/hook side.

I also like the option of having a soft bottom on the pedal if I decide to temporarily move it to a tabletop. And as noted, it'll be *much* easier to replace the velcro on all my pedals (only about 35 to 40 square inches) for 8 or 9 pedals versus replacing the velcro on my DIY pedalboard.
Last edited by Armchair Bronco at Mar 4, 2009,