Right now im looking to buy either a Gibson or an Epi Les paul.
New ones costs way too much for me not to mention tax in Canada ..ugh.
So I've decided to buy one off craigslist or something.
What are some things I need to look out for when buying used besides obvious blemishes.
27mMoV31II7.a2
Pickups, mainly.
As long as the guitar is stock and isn't in bad shape, then you're alright.
Quote by conor1148
who cares if they're drawn,

boobies

Gear:
Peavey Supreme 100W head
Crate 4x12 cab
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
Modded Johnson Stratocaster
somethings to look out for are:
damaged necks, bad electronics etc

make sure that the frets are even but doing every note on the guitar. (open - 22 on all strings). also bend the notes and make sure they dont go dead as you bend.

those are some of the most important ones i can think of at the moment...
Look for obvious physical damage, play it (plugged in) and make sure things feel ok (they might have things set up differently then you so keep that in mind). Turn all the knobs, make sure they work, check the tuners, and make sure there isn't a lot of fret wear.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Quote by thsrayas
Look for obvious physical damage, play it (plugged in) and make sure things feel ok (they might have things set up differently then you so keep that in mind). Turn all the knobs, make sure they work, check the tuners, and make sure there isn't a lot of fret wear.

Couldnt i get it re-fretted? or does that cost a crap load
27mMoV31II7.a2
Quote by Antimage27

Last time I checked getting a guitar re-fretted isn't cheap, you could do it yourself but unless you're good with that kind of thing you're better off with somebody else doing it.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Quote by Antimage27

Refretting could cost you from 150 if you're very lucky, to max 250 (CAD, should be around 225-230 in US$, not sure)

If you do it by yourself, it's going to be very cheaper (from what I heard, around 80 and less). BUT, it's a very hard work that needs somewhat of precision.
Quote by kevC4
Refretting could cost you from 150 if you're very lucky, to max 250 (CAD, should be around 225-230 in US$, not sure)

If you do it by yourself, it's going to be very cheaper (from what I heard, around 80 and less). BUT, it's a very hard work that needs somewhat of precision.

O wow lol.
27mMoV31II7.a2
Counterfeits are an occasional problem in my area. I've seen two Gibson Grenada banjos ($5000) that were found to be fake, and a few guitars, though they were heresay reports that I never actually saw myself. One even had a legitimate label on it (blank ones were sold at one point), but it was in the wrong place, according to the one who told me about it. I'd double-check serial numbers. I have a business card from a vintage dealer that has serial number ranges on the back for Martin that I carry with me everywhere.
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

Quote by mrcrono
Rat hair and razor blades.

Quote by misterfarenheit
check for zombies and velociraptors

This is why these threads shouldn't be posted in the Pit.
Quote by wahappen

This is a guitar community not Romper Room.