If I played guitar or bass in a band and I've written guitar and bass parts...

..to songs..could I teach, for example, the bass parts to a bassist if I play guitar in the band? Or vice-versa, teach the guitarist the guitar parts if I play bass? Because I want to get into a band but I've already written some songs on my own with the guitar and bass parts. Or if I've written a solo, teach it to the lead guitarist. I'm not a "lead guitarist" but I can write some solos.
Rock on
I don't see why not

Oh, Bandleading forum might be better BTW.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

yes, ideas are all there mate, generally what would most likely happen though the bassist may have something completely better to apply to it anyway
or
you give the bassist his parts to play and he changes it a fraction, but not losing its direction

as a band you are all members this is the way bands work, each contribute

sometimes my drummer doesnt even play an instrument hums stuff to me which i copy and apply. generally it fits

but remember you are a working machine
Last edited by Martindecorum at Mar 4, 2009,
Oh. Also, it doesn't matter if you can play the song forward and backwards and forward again, if you're a shit teacher nobody's learning anything. It's got more to do with how well you can teach the music than whether you wrote it. But like Martin up there said, be open to change (unless the change fux0rs a chord or something).

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

I play guitar and bass so obviously if I write songs on my own, they include guitar and bass parts. I also have the ideas for the drum parts in my head even though I don't play drums. That's why I want to get into a band..well, several reasons of course..to make new friends, to play music, learn to work with others in music, and improve and polish my songwriting and write more songs together with them. As far as what I write or would like to write, I'm into the hard rock/metal with catchy riffs and fantasy/sci-fi based lyrics a la Black Sabbath, Metallica and Iron Maiden..I am interested in other types of rock, though.
Rock on
See what they say, but be open to criticisms. They may not like the songs altogether or they may not feel it themselves.

Just throwing it out there, does every hardcore band need atleast 1 sweet ballad? I see many hardcore bands having that one song on their album w/ very softcore elements.
I've gotten a lot of LOLs in my time but I choose not to sig them to not look like a pretentious douchebag

remember im pretty much exactly like you mate i even do keyboard parts, generally the main concept that either i had, or was in my head generally disappears as a member goes this direction which generally would be better,
My vote is a Yea, as long as you're very clear they're open to interpretation and change.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

The problem I have is that the songs I have written are meant to be about certain things but for some I still haven't written the lyrics..I just have the lingering subject but I need to try to write the proper lyrics. That may seem kinda strange..but if I really tried, I could write decent lyrics if I can come up with the guitar riffs, basslines, and subject matter. I just want to start somewhere in some kind of band while I'm still young.
Rock on
So you think I'd be able to write lyrics to the songs or is that too odd? Can I have the title and subject matter linger in my head for a long time before I write the full body of lyrics?
Rock on
Oh yes. My first Celt/Rock band had a very talented fiddler who taught me several good guitar bits and same for our bass player. The fiddler did our band as 'time out' from classical double bass work.
You had to hate him when he started writing for us on keyboards.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

What about the lyrics thing? I've had the titles and music for a long time but you think I'd be able to actually get to writing the lyric bodies? I know it may seem strange. I have tried to write some lyrics.
Rock on
You'd have to ask the singer if s/he has a problem with it.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Most bands have the guitarist or anyone writing lyrics
Rush - Dream Theater - My band
basically in my opinion the best lyrics that suit the song wins

but check with your vocalist first but generally it would be fine