just curious, about how much should it cost to replace the alternator in a 1996 ford explorer? and how long should it take?

i'm gonna go in to my auto repair guy tomorrow, and i just wanna know around what i should be expecting to pay. i figure around $300, but let me know if i'm wrong.
Quote by Jackintehbox
Pedophilia all the way man. Go for it.

Quote by deathbat831
hahaha i thought you wrote Philidelphia all the way, i was like yeah philidelphias cool i spose

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
I'm always too embarrassed to buy condoms. Saran wrap is cheaper, anyway.
No expert but that seems around the ballpark cost, u could always go to a Pick-a-part and get one for dirt cheap?
If its ford, they'll do it fast but you won't be able to af-ford it!
Quote by RU Experienced?
Go see U2, then you can say you contributed money to Bono's giant Irish tower built out of the blood, tears, and the hopes of African children.
just do it yourself. they are very easy to change. the only hard part may be if ford put it at a hard to reach spot where you have to take other stuff out.
Quote by TheAmericanRuse
just do it yourself. they are very easy to change. the only hard part may be if ford put it at a hard to reach spot where you have to take other stuff out.

That

If you can use a ratchet-wrench, you can do this.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Mutant Corn
That

If you can use a ratchet-wrench, you can do this.

i don't has one of those

and i'm sure it's in a really hard to reach place, cause i tried to take my battery out today (thinking it was the problem) and there is only one main screw holding it in, and it was in the most hard to reach place. i had to turn it with a wrench like 1/3 of a full turn each time and it took like 20 minutes.
Quote by Jackintehbox
Pedophilia all the way man. Go for it.

Quote by deathbat831
hahaha i thought you wrote Philidelphia all the way, i was like yeah philidelphias cool i spose

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
I'm always too embarrassed to buy condoms. Saran wrap is cheaper, anyway.
^ Yup, that's about what it's like.

You don't have to have a ratchet...it just makes things easier. As long as you've got something that'll turn the bolt, you're good. A pair of pliers would even work in a pinch, though I wouldn't recommend it.

As far as the price, a Ford dealer would probably charge that. You could probably get it done for a lot cheaper somewhere else, though.
Nope, no sig here.
Fords can have very simplistic engines.. That's why i like them. It shouldn't take you more than 30 minutes to replace an Alternator.
Last edited by Filter at Mar 4, 2009,