ok so i got this cheap pawn shop classical guitar from my parents about a month ago for my birthday and it sounds like crap lol but ive been taking lessons pretty much since i got it and my instructor let me try his electric guitar a lil bit and it was so much easier with the smaller neck and i could play chords on it a lot easier. so im thinking about getting an electric guitar because thats what i want anyways. so i did some research and i was thinking about getting a fender standard stratocaster ($360.00) and a Fender Pro Mini Amp ($460.00). so do u think this is a good move and is there anything else i should get with this? any suggestions would help me greatly
if you haven't been playing that long i would keep going on the acoustic until you can play better on that one first. THEN i would buy an electric. If you play ok on a crappy guitar you will play better on an ok guitar.
But hey, if you have the money i would totally get it.
That's a MIM strat, right? Not some knock-off? That's a good deal on a great guitar, just got one myself about three weeks ago but I immediately traded for a MIM tele.

Can't help much with amps; I don't really deal in them and at home for personal use I have a sim.

It would definitely be easier to play. Most important question here is your personal level of dedication. No point in spending the cash if you feel you might give it up after a couple of months when the "new" wears off. If you are serious about learning, and you are more interested in electric guitar music than classical, I would say go for it.
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

Quote by millerdrr
That's a MIM strat, right? Not some knock-off? That's a good deal on a great guitar, just got one myself about three weeks ago but I immediately traded for a MIM tele.

Can't help much with amps; I don't really deal in them and at home for personal use I have a sim.

It would definitely be easier to play. Most important question here is your personal level of dedication. No point in spending the cash if you feel you might give it up after a couple of months when the "new" wears off. If you are serious about learning, and you are more interested in electric guitar music than classical, I would say go for it.

yea im pretty dedicated i play it just about every day and im hooked. i just want to get a halfway decent guitar that i will enjoy and just looking for a second opinion. do u think i need to get a distortion pedal or etc.?
Distortion you can get on the lead channel of the amp. Turn the "pre" setting up and the "post" setting down. I'm not familiar with that particular amp though. I use a GNX4 workstation from digitech that cost about what that amp does; it has 80 presets that come somewhat close to simulating tones from steve vai to brian may to country to surf--you name it. Also, each one is adjustable and you can save an additional 80 presets any way you want to customize it. Got a pretty good built in drum machine and metronome, and a multitrack recorder. I plug headphones directly into it and jam for hours without disturbing a soul. It has a pedal on it.

Boss and other manufacturers make similar products. To a purist, the amp and some pedals would be the route to go, but since I'm not a touring pro, a modeler works fine, for a tiny fraction of the cost. Heck, I don't even remember right offhand where my amp is actually located, since its a cheap practice amp (Rage 158) and I've moved twice since I last used it.

But, I have to admit, if money space and volume was not an issue, I'd love to get a Marshall stack and a Fender Twin.
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95

Quote by Basti95

What kind of music do you want to play? Clean stuff and rock? Metal?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_amplifiers/fender/pro_junior/index.html

Hmmm....this one only has one channel. If you really like that amp but need distortion, I'd try out different pedals. On the amp that you buy. Make sure you use the same amp! And don't be embarrassed to turn it up, the store will tolerate it for a few minutes to sell the pedal, particularly if you got the amp there.
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95

Quote by Basti95

Well my advice is for u to stick with the crappy guitar for a little while longer... u will be supprised at how much better u are when u do make the switch because the accoustic/classical guitar is alot harder to play and requires proper technique more then electric... that is what i did... and in all honesty i dont think u should start out with a pretty decent guitar and an almost 500$ amp... save your money because its going to be a long while until you need it... i HIGHLY recommend a Pevey Vypyr 15/30/60 any of those models, and for a guitar u should get something cheaper to start with because it will give you something to work for and when you do goto the guitar shop in say (a year or so) you can think to your self that you have worked your ass off to earn a better guitar... and it will make it alllll the sweeeeeter for you.

just my 2 cents. I personally recommend a ESP LTD F-50... and with one of the Vypyr amps you can really really get a good variety of tones from it, i can switch from a nice crisp clean to an evil from hell sound in seconds, and then for ****s and grins i ALWAYS switch it to what i call my ac dc setting and i rock out to some hells bells...
I'm the noob that takes everyone as his teacher.

ESP LTD F50 in black

Pevey Vypyr 15 Amp
well, if you want to risk getting a poor quality guitar from ebay go ahead... but u should never ever buy a guitar before playing it... goto a local shop and you wont regret it, plus it saves on shipping witch can cost a fortune. i honestly would not spend that type of money on it ONLINE, and i certainly would never of spent that for my first electric... i highly highly recommend the advice i listed above... and considering the music you like that guitar/amp combo would give you all of them ranges, u can make your own presets and everything so press a button and bam u can change tone instantly

ESP LTD F50 in black

Pevey Vypyr 15 Amp
well the shipping would be free and i wouldnt be buying from an individual its from an actual company that sells their stuff on ebay. but your right i think im gonna go hit up some guitar shops 2marow and try some stuff out first and i might find something better.
yeah, and remember its your first electric... you want something you can really learn the basics on... personally i love the neck on my LTD F-50 its so smooth and plays really really nice... and not to mention the looks of the guitar is awesome. buy something that is moderately cheap and then later in the long run you can reward your self with a higher end guitar

ESP LTD F50 in black

Pevey Vypyr 15 Amp
That guitar can be had for that price at a guitar center. That link was for a new guitar from a music store, but even so, with shipping charges and the inability to play it first, I'd knock a MIM strat down to $250 from ebay. Just a personal thing I have against mail order...I tend to trust Fender guitars MIA or MIM, but, mail order...I gotta get a killer deal, and that deal in that link is pretty much what the guitar is worth. Most stores charge about $50 more, but GC doesn't, and even if they do they will match any offer FROM AN AUTHORIZED DEALER within 30 days, no questions asked.

Really can't tell you much about the amp, but it seems like that one is pretty weak with limited features for that price. Similar brands in that size run less than a hundred used.

EDIT Free shipping? Hmmm...that's better. Not spectacular, but not bad...
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95

Quote by Basti95

Last edited by millerdrr at Mar 4, 2009,
One good thing about that guitar that I forgot to mention: its a MIM strat.

In other words, you can probably sell it for $300 (not to a pawn shop). So if you aren't happy with it, you won't get reamed too bad like you might with a Squier or other brand. It's a great guitar, especially for the money. I'd ask the shop to handle the setup for you, if it needs anything. It's a fantastic instrument, and i'm not sure it's worth playing a guitar you don't like for any length of time. I started on an Epiphone acoustic with an enormous neck when i was nine; i barely touched it til i was fifteen. It has a great tone, and sentimental value, but even as an adult that thing is tough. Some kind of medieval torture device.
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95

Quote by Basti95

Quote by millerdrr
One good thing about that guitar that I forgot to mention: its a MIM strat.

In other words, you can probably sell it for $300 (not to a pawn shop). So if you aren't happy with it, you won't get reamed too bad like you might with a Squier or other brand. It's a great guitar, especially for the money. I'd ask the shop to handle the setup for you, if it needs anything. It's a fantastic instrument, and i'm not sure it's worth playing a guitar you don't like for any length of time. I started on an Epiphone acoustic with an enormous neck when i was nine; i barely touched it til i was fifteen. It has a great tone, and sentimental value, but even as an adult that thing is tough. Some kind of medieval torture device.

thanx man. this is very helpful
buy an electric guitar if you like electric music, and wish to play that in the future. i made the mistake of playing acoustic for 8 months and almost lost the pasison for guitar, but theni bought my electric and i've played an hour and ahalf a day since, and that's been about two years. if you like musci wtih electric guitars, just get it.
If you can afford it, also buy the electric. Use the acoustic for most of your practicing because it's more difficult. That way when you do play the electric it will sound and feel great. Playing both will also help you stay interested in playing and will improve your versatility. Have fun!!
The amp issue hasn't been addressed, and I, for one, believe it should. I strongly reccomend the Fender Super Champ xd or the Roland Cube 30x (I think I'm starting become known as the washburn/cube guy in the forums) Both are amazing amps I can personally say that the cube 30 can handle anything that the teenaged guitarist needs and the super champ xd is just a great amp I play when I go into shops. They're about the same price and a lot cheaper than the amp you were gonna get.

Best of luck

EDIT: I play a MIM strat and love it (its a 60s reissue) I strongly urge you to get one
UG's Prodigal Son
Last edited by lunaticfringe93 at Mar 5, 2009,