ok, before i post a link i'm going to say that i'm not interested in compositional or technical ability.
i'd like to know why the guitar sounds different. and how would i get my amp to sound like the sound in the first 50 seconds in the video... cuz i really don't like the overdrive texture/tone he gets.

my clip (details in track info):
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/sethp/music/all/play558477

what i want to sound like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJXfRP3c8sw&feature=channel_page

is this the difference between the whole "mesa vs. marshall" tone? its even more than tone. cuz my bass strings sound flabby and farty... not muddy, just not like in the video. seems like the bass notes on the splawn are sharper maybe? and the highs have a different quality too. i can't really explain it
Quote by sethp

is this the difference between the whole "mesa vs. marshall" tone?

Bingo!
The Splawn is definitely brighter. What kind of amp are you using in your clip?
oh, all the technical info is in the track notes. but here it is:

guitar: vol/tone wide open.

amp is:
mesa boogie 50 cal
all tone knobs: 5/10
living room levels, gain: 2, vol: 2 (out of 10)

Heavily mod'ed Jackson dkmg
tonezone: bridge
Super-2: Neck

recorded: direct out and mic'd (shure sm57)

the tone in the video has so much more punch on the bass strings
Well, I'm not a Mesa expert but I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to get some brighter tones out of your amp. What speaker does your combo come with and have you considered an EQ pedal?

PS - I'm assuming your onboard EQ is flat for a reason?

I have heard plenty of Mesa clips with a sparkly brightness so I know it is possible.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Well, I'm not a Mesa expert but I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to get some brighter tones out of your amp. What speaker does your combo come with and have you considered an EQ pedal?

PS - I'm assuming your onboard EQ is flat for a reason?

I have heard plenty of Mesa clips with a sparkly brightness so I know it is possible.

this is a demo for Jeff who makes High Order Pickups (i figure if i'm totally customizing my guitar, its gotta have custom made pickups, right? check out the project in my sig).
i wanted to record with all the amp's tone controls neutral and the graphic eq turned off in order to isolate the natural tone and response of the pickups without any tone shaping from the amp its self.
also, in real life the neck pickup is WAAAAYYYY more muted and dull than what is coming thru the recording.
speaker is a celestion black shadow
Well just turn up the treble and use the GEQ. I mean, yea, if that is just a sample of null settings, don't use it for your standard tone.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Sounds like you're tone knob was all the way down ... im sure thats not it, but just some mid and treble boost would help. Pickups also play a large part in how clear you're cleans sound...
Quote by sethp
this is a demo for Jeff who makes High Order Pickups (i figure if i'm totally customizing my guitar, its gotta have custom made pickups, right? check out the project in my sig).
i wanted to record with all the amp's tone controls neutral and the graphic eq turned off in order to isolate the natural tone and response of the pickups without any tone shaping from the amp its self.
also, in real life the neck pickup is WAAAAYYYY more muted and dull than what is coming thru the recording.

Yeah, OK. I guess that explains it.

Anyway, this may now be a bit off topic but I thought this preamp demo was the shiz. Posted last week by a UG'r.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1075665&highlight=Mesa+demo
Quote by sethp

Which HO wind did you get?
Try replacing your pots. If you have 250s get 500s, if you have 500s try 1 meg, that'll brighten things up.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by al112987
Which HO wind did you get?

haven't ordered them yet. i'm hoping that jeff can listen to my recording and get an idea.