Got a few questions:

Shielded hookup lead or the wire you use to wire up a pickup job and wire pickups to jacks and what not is actually what? As in where do I buy it and what does it actually mean to be useable in a guitaresque situation.

Are piezo tabs ok?

http://www.windworld.com/products/catalog.htm#hardware

Saw the 1" x 3/8" with leads and what not all ready for me.

Or should I do it the way it seems to be done more often, which is the radioshack piezo method

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062402&numProdsPerPage=60&retainProdsInSession=1

Do I mount the piezo on foam? I saw a youtube video of that being done where the inner element was glued face down onto foam, this worth it?

I'm putting it on an acoustic guitar, so it should be placed what... underneath the bridge INSIDE the guitar?

I should buy an end pin jack correct? I'd rather not drill any holes into a guitar I like being in one piece.

Where do you buy your jacks? I've heard of cliff.com.au but I'd be unsure on what to get.

Any tips on buying a simple easy to use solder? And I should use rosin cored non-plumbing solder correct?
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
I ummm, did check it, no answers about foam, no answers about solder equipment, no answers about where to get endpin jack, no answers about piezo tabs.

That thread is just a bunch of people posting what they did.
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
Well, maybe your learn something reading what people did

BTW: Placement is the most important thing in the final results you get. Sticking it to foam will dampen the vibrations, thus youll lose frequencies and output. Your best bet is to manage to have direct contact with the wood.

Idk about piezo films, id like to.
Last edited by bazuriya at Mar 4, 2009,
Why do I always get ignored on this forum?
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
I used a piezo element out of an old smoke detector. It works great. I put mine under the bridge of my washburn. It has a tune-o-matic. Remember that the piezo can be cut to size as long as the top and bottom discs don't become seperated. I wired the piezo in series with my other pickups so it can be turned down without turning down my guitar's pickups.

If you are putting it in an electric, I don't know how well the foam will work. The top doesn't vibrate as much in a solid body as compared to an acoustic.
Do you know any thing about piezo tabs? On that website his looks WAY more professional (No offense) than some of the piezo circle ones i've seen.

Not demeaning those by anyway, but I want to try something different and give back my results to the community.

Also its for acoustic, so I was thinking either on the top, right next to the bridge or underneath the soundhole bridge side.
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
The tabs are the same basic principle. They just package it neater. It cut mine so it is not visible. It is about 1/4" by 1/2" which is easily concealed by my bridge.

Since yours is for an acoustic, then the foam should be fine. And as for locating the jack, well that is up to you. You may not want it to be a perminent thing so you can just tie it you your strap button or tape it to the body. If you find you like it, you may want to get a strap button with the jack built in so you won't have to drill your guitar.
Two last questions. I bought the copper shielding (which will be useful in the future) and I have electrical tape, and I know now that the tabs are fine.

So my questions are the following three:

1. Where does one buy 24 guage shielded 2 conductor cable?
http://www.skygeek.com/m27500-24tg2t14.html?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_content=m27500-24tg2t14&utm_campaign=froogle is this ok?
2. What type of solder is the best to use on guitar electronics? I keep hearing about rosin cored.
3. Any ole solder gun will do? Even the 3.99 ones at my hardware store?
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
Bump?
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
1, Maplins, Radio Shack, Tandy. Depends where you are
2, Best solder is old fashioned multi-core and use a decent flux. BUT that is hard to get now so the alloy version is the best you may find. It needs a bit more heat but makes a stronger join.
3, Might do. Check it where you buy the solder or use an electric soldering iron of about 25w or more.
Heavens, I learnt soldering with a copper iron that you heated in a gas flame. Too long and you burn the surface of it and have to file it clean and re-flux it. After about a minute of use it is too cool to melt the solder. Modern stuff is a doddle.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Pain is an illusion.