Hey guys,.

recently a guy at my school told my buying an es-335 and not necessarily playing a lot of blues was a stupid idea becuase you can only play blues on them (its an epiphone dot btw, not a real es 335). firstly, i've seen tom delonge playing a very similar guitar (the es 333 but its pretty much the same), and paul gilbert plays a similar es 335 but its ibanez and he plays bluesy scales sometimes but its nothing like blues. i think the sound you get out is more dependant on the amp and the pick ups, and i have a dirty fingers in there like tom delonge.

is this guy stupid saying its only meant for blues? or did i make a stupid mistake buying it. to me it sounds fine for anything and can even do metal with dirty fingers in.
You didn't make a mistake buying it.
Semi-hollow and full hollow body guitars aren't common and have a very distinctive sound.
Andrew stockdale from wolfmother uses a semi-hollow on one of their songs and thats certainly not blues.
Or maybe you can prove to him that they aren't just for blues.
Either way I wouldn't mind a nice semi hollow myself.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
ive got the guitar myself, it can be used for way more than blues, tell that guy the shut the **** up unless he's actually played one and not just seen BB king bust out on a vid
Quote by Ian hawkins
Semi-hollow and full hollow body guitars aren't common and have a very distinctive sound.
Andrew stockdale from wolfmother uses a semi-hollow on one of their songs and thats certainly not blues.

thanks dude, i love the look of the guitar, and i love the sound (even though my amp sucks ass) and its great for effects. this guy's just a dick because hes rich enough to have a gibson and a fender so epiphone is somehow inferior compared to him. ahhh, the perils of going to a school full of rich kids that get stuff from their parents.
Quote by Veritas69
ive got the guitar myself, it can be used for way more than blues, tell that guy the shut the **** up unless he's actually played one and not just seen BB king bust out on a vid

he's the kinda guy where everyone is inferior to him, luckily everyone hates his guts lol.
Quote by Ian hawkins

hell, andrew stockdale used as es-335 on most of the recordings on wolfmother's discs. the sick puppies guitarists uses an es-335, and he can get a wickedly heavy sound out of it. bottom line: its not just a blues guitar. experiment with it and see what cool sounds u can make with it. good luck
Gear:
PRS SE Custom
Takamine G Series Acoustic
Peavey Vypyr 30
Digitech RP 250

Quote by voodoochild23
The only time I'll dance is if Nickelback caught fire and no one helped.
yeah I've got a dot too...

the neck sucks but I love the sound...bright and still chunky...I'm not satisfied with the sound however might chuck in a jb jazz set or something with more balls.
yo.

I BELIEVE
first of all semi hollows are awesomley cool....end statement

the guy from wolfmother sucks so much dong that its unfathomable...
Chris Cheney and Reverend Horton play semihollows and they play old school rock, to rockabilly to psyche out rockabilly (psycha-billy)
Quote by Veritas69

BB king doesn't even play a proper 335. His lucille has no f-holes.

Tell that noob to go **** himself.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Well if you bought them for death metal..then maybe you've made a mistake...if not then I think your fine.
Plus its not like its the only guitar you'll ever own.
Personally im thinkin about getting the same one because i like the tone.
27mMoV31II7.a2
It's an all around guitar (like all other semi-acoustics)

...but I know your not dissin the blues
My es-355 is a kick ass guitar! I absolutely love that thing when my amp is fully overdriven and cranked the hell up!
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
Quote by willwelsh816
It's an all around guitar (like all other semi-acoustics)

...but I know your not dissin the blues

im not dissin the blues lol, i love the blues. in terms of playing the blues im not a great fan but it is fun and i enjoy it. i just hate that this guy says i've wasted 680 bucks when the guitar i own can be used for a whole range of stuff
Quote by sum_41_1942
Hey guys,.

recently a guy at my school told my buying an es-335 and not necessarily playing a lot of blues was a stupid idea becuase you can only play blues on them (its an epiphone dot btw, not a real es 335). firstly, i've seen tom delonge playing a very similar guitar (the es 333 but its pretty much the same), and paul gilbert plays a similar es 335 but its ibanez and he plays bluesy scales sometimes but its nothing like blues. i think the sound you get out is more dependant on the amp and the pick ups, and i have a dirty fingers in there like tom delonge.

is this guy stupid saying its only meant for blues? or did i make a stupid mistake buying it. to me it sounds fine for anything and can even do metal with dirty fingers in.

You do realize that the F-holes on Paul Gilbert's guitar are painted on and it's actually a solid body right? And that no matter what guitar Tom Delonge uses, his tone is pretty much crap?

Semi-hollows have their own type of sound, but really you can use any guitar to play any genre. Regardless, I don't really like using semi-hollowbody guitars that much, even for blues I prefer les pauls.
Last edited by al112987 at Mar 5, 2009,
Quote by al112987
Semi-hollows have their own type of sound, but really you can use any guitar to play any genre.

+1000000

The thing you have to remember about artists is the tone differences they seek as professionals are incredibly minute subtleties. Plug an acoustic with a pickup into an amp and you can get heavy distortion. Death metal on a Taylor.
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

Quote by al112987
You do realize that the F-holes on Paul Gilbert's guitar are painted on and it's actually a solid body right? And that no matter what guitar Tom Delonge uses, his tone is pretty much crap?

Semi-hollows have their own type of sound, but really you can use any guitar to play any genre. Regardless, I don't really like using semi-hollowbody guitars that much, even for blues I prefer les pauls.

No, PG plays actual semi-hollows sometimes, like in this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba5YRZ850sM
Quote by al112987
You do realize that the F-holes on Paul Gilbert's guitar are painted on and it's actually a solid body right?

lol fail.

Great for feedback lol. I use my (relatively poor) hollowbody on some solos just because I'm too poor to buy a sustainer kit and I sometimes like the sound for rhythm parts more than my schecter.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by al112987

i also have to say, "lol fail". they are painted on his ibanez strat looking thingo whatever it is, but he plays an ibanez - gibson es 335 lookalike, which HAS HOLES. i have his instructional vid for get out of my yard and half of the interludes he uses it.
Yeah, he sounds like a bit of a douche bag, hadn't he even heard that Dave Grohl plays has an E-335? I think they're awesome for rock! What made him think they were only for blues?
Hi! I'm Andrew, and when I have a bubble in my throat I sound like Alan Rickman!

I have the BEST Jizz Face on UG!

My YouTube Channel (slowmotion stuff!): www.youtube.com/wannabeguitarlegend
You can play pretty much any genre other than metal on an ES-335. If you disagree, to paraphrase The Pit, you must be doing it wrong. Obviously a lot of bluesmen use them, but Stockdale's already been mentioned, Johnny Marr gets a proper jangle out of them, and didn't Izzy Stradlin' use something hollow and Gibsony on Appetite For Destruction?
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
I think Izzy Stradlin used a Gibson ES-355... but I'm not sure. I know he used a ES-135 and thats basically the same thing and I thought it sounded pretty badass.
Equipment:
-Ibanez GIO
-Fender American Standard Strat HSS
-Acoustic Schneider Guitar
-ARIA STB-PB-DX Bass
-Vox VT50AD-XL
-Roland Cube-30 Bass
-Digitech RP-250
-Blue guitar pick
Proud Member of UG's 80's Rock Fan Club
Alex Lifeson from Rush used an ES-335 for all the early Rush Albums, so it should do rock very well. Also they're great for Jazz
the one thing that annoys me about people saying "hollow for jazz semi hollow for blues" and stuff is that people at college have labelled me a blues man simply because i brought an epiphone sheraton (ES335-ish) in on the first day..
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Aye, this person is an idiot. I've played metal on semihollows before. Teles and strats too. Use what you want, don't listen to the ignorant ones.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Your friend is an idiot. It's a great guitar for most genre's. Awesome tone machine.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
i would say you bought a nice guitar and you can play whatever the hell you want on it. (i personally would play blues and jazz on it, but thats just because that's what i play)
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
I remember seeing old sweety teddy playing a semi, and we all know what the nugent sounded like. Your fine.