And i need it now!

I have a job so i can save for a while but I'm trying to start up a band and I dont want to come to rehearsals with such ****ty gear every week so the sooner the better.

If i work for a few weeks I will have about $800 in the bank.
I can sell my amp and maybe my bass guitar for about $400.
I can maybe borrow. at the absolute max, $500 from my dad.

So at the very most I will have around $1700 give or take a couple of hundred.

My ideal price is $1500.

I need to be able to be heard in a band. I need it to have decent cleans and a good crunch. Medium gain distortion . I live in Australia, prices are ridiculous. I'm willing to buy used but used tube amps are few and far between.

Sorry for the messy post but I'm typing in a hurry.

http://www.guitar.com.au/amplifiers/electric/index.htm

Just to give you an idea on prices ^
Last edited by Final !mpact at Mar 4, 2009,
Peavey:
Valveking
Deltablues
Classic 50

Used VOX AC 30 2x12"
Last edited by Final !mpact at Mar 4, 2009,
Twin Reverb will do what you ask and No-one sneers at one of those.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Holy crap, the prices really are shocking there. I'd try if possible... Valveking 112 (212 is alright but the 112 has all the power you're likely to need unless you're playing stadiums ), Randall RG50TC and a Twin Reverb as previously mentioned.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Fender Princeton 650 DSP w/ Celestion 80w speaker
Last edited by Friendly Stoat at Mar 4, 2009,
Have a look for a used one. I recently bought a JCM800 combo for $1100 and it is sweet.

Check ebay and gumtree (use your local if you're not in sydney) for people selling used amps.

At this stage, a combo tube amp would probably be fine and help your budget a bit.
Uuuh, those prices are something I need to get used to first. For your needs, try a Marshall DSL401, slightly above budget, but should do the trick. If that ends up being too expensive, try a Peavey Classic 30. It's slightly less powerful and therefore I don't know whether it has enough clean headroom for you. Definitely try before buying.

Looks like you need to look for used stuff. Finding a used tube marshall shouldn't be too hard, even in Australia. I see used DSL401 amps everywhere around here, there ought to be some near you.
i saw a dsl50 head going for 850 on gumtree. you should be able to find a nice 2x12 with V30s with the rest of the money. sucks to be an aussie. i'm going through a few music stores tomorrow, ill keep an eye out for ya.
hOwZ abOut a LiNe 6 SpidEr 3 doodz! theYre Br00tAl!

no. twin reverb.
Guitars
Schecter Omen 6
Agile LP 2500
Kramer RR V
Amp
Peavey 6505
4x12 with Eminence Screamin' Eagles
Others
Mogami Cables
Korg DTR-1000
Furman M-8 Power Conditioner
MXR Smartgate
BBE Sonic Maximizer
My Band
www.myspace.com/gdbr
Some kind of Marshall-like amp would be good, IMO.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by joe_k
he said he wants decent cleans and good crunch. when i think of twin reverb i hear amazing cleans and no crunch.

im not going to lie, i have no clue.

i just wanted to make the spider comment, and wanted to stay on topic.

haha
Guitars
Schecter Omen 6
Agile LP 2500
Kramer RR V
Amp
Peavey 6505
4x12 with Eminence Screamin' Eagles
Others
Mogami Cables
Korg DTR-1000
Furman M-8 Power Conditioner
MXR Smartgate
BBE Sonic Maximizer
My Band
www.myspace.com/gdbr
Hughes & Kettner Statesman Quad EL84
Peavey Classic 30
VOX AC30
or some kind of used JCM800 if you can find one.
Fender MIA Stratocaster (with SD Twang Banger)
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Johnson Acoustic
Palmer FAB5
Don't get the valveking. You should be able to get a much better amp even over there. I won't suggest anything because I don't know all the prices there but if you were in American I'd say Peavey 6505 but peavey is expensive over there. Although some people would say it doesn't have decent cleans I think the 6505+ has decent ones if you buy a reverb pedal. But it's worth the sacrifice for the crunch and lead you get out of it. Not to mention how well it holds up in a band situation.
Quote by joe_k
he said he wants decent cleans and good crunch. when i think of twin reverb i hear amazing cleans and no crunch.

Have you ever heard a Twin turned up?

But on that budget, I'd go with the DSL suggestions
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by stratman_13

The fender twin is a GREAT amp. One of my favorite amps of all time. BUT turned up or not the crunch is not what he's looking for. You can get a crunch out of it but I mean it is still on the clean side. It's not a crunch sortof amp. It's an amazing amp to own though but I think he's wanting something with an okay lead channel atleast.
Oh, I know its not the crunch he's looking for

He's definately looking for a hot British overdrive, like a Marshall, Orange, Goodsell, etc... But on that budget, he should go with the DSL suggestions, in my opinion
--

--
Quote by TheQuailman
The Statesman is way to expensive new and won't be available used I figure....

He said his budget is around 1700$, the Quad EL84 is 1759$ and the Dual EL84 is 1559$ new, so it's around his price limit. It's a great little amp. I'd definitely check it out, because I think it's way better than eg. a Classic 30.
Fender MIA Stratocaster (with SD Twang Banger)
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Johnson Acoustic
Palmer FAB5
Quote by hansolo1106
He said his budget is around 1700$, the Quad EL84 is 1759$ and the Dual EL84 is 1559$ new, so it's around his price limit. It's a great little amp. I'd definitely check it out, because I think it's way better than eg. a Classic 30.

He's talking Australian dollars, not USD.

It makes a BIG difference
--

--
Quote by hansolo1106

Oh, I confused the price of the Quad with the price of the EL34 head, which is over 1900$. They're great, yeah, but the Dual will be too quiet imo (the one I tried wasn't too loud at least).

The Quad is worth a look, but it's best to try it out before buying, because even though it sounds nice, the EQ doesn't do sh*t and it doesn't have as much gain as a Marshall DSL or something. But yeah, nice amp anyway.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Mar 4, 2009,
OK, I'll keep an eye out for used Marshalls. I'll have to try out a DSL when i can and see if I can pick one up used.

Still open to suggestions.
At those prices your looking at epiphone an peaveys only.

lets be real.

its either between the C30 or the blues custom.

either that or if you want the best bang for your buck look into line 6 flextones.

with those prices i cant think of anything else.
Last edited by THEKID546 at Mar 4, 2009,
Also look into the Randall RG50TC.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by stratman_13

yeh me and my mate thought we would be smart arses and crank it. at least we got some breakup out of it but we also got a whole lot of ear pain. dear god that thing is loud.
dude if you live in sydney, music city on parramatta rd has an engl thunder 50 for $1100. rrp is $2300. if you can get there ASAP and try it out. they are closing down very soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPESCDuNEQw
not the best demo but just a guide. trust me get in there and take a look at it.
You could get a Carvin belair or something similar. Great amps imo.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.