Provided the tubes are swapped out and its matched with a decent cab, would this be a decent amp? Im assuming it doesnt have BUCKETS of distortion, but could you at least slap an od in front and let it sing?
The one legged chickens from outer space made me do it!
I plaed one and was pretty disappointed,
Didnt have a whole lot of gain
Pretty thin sounding,
maybe adding an OD would help
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
I reckon an od would help, cos one of these for £200 (approx $300) would sort my needs for a half decent head at budget prices.
Tbh im looking for a decent tube amp that can deliver bucket loads of gain, but isnt too powerful and dont cost TOO much.
No, it's not a metal amp.

Not at all.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Bucket loads of gain for $300 US dollar seems like a tall order. Used Laney GH50, AOR, Pro Tube?

used Marshall JCM series?

Genres?

non-turd sounding gain anyways
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by Maggot4eva
I reckon an od would help, cos one of these for £200 (approx $300) would sort my needs for a half decent head at budget prices.
Tbh im looking for a decent tube amp that can deliver bucket loads of gain, but isnt too powerful and dont cost TOO much.

The So-Cal has it's uses and usually works best if you change the tubes and keep it on the clean channel (relying on stompboxes for distortion). That much said, it's really not a metal amp, though with the right pedal assortment it can be done.

EDIT: If you can spend just a touch more money, look for a Sovtek Mig 50. Basically it's a JCM800 for people who can't afford JCM800's.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Bucket loads of gain for $300 US dollar seems like a tall order. Used Laney GH50, AOR, Pro Tube?

used Marshall JCM series?

Genres?

I detest marshalls to the extreme. never had one that even came close to sounding what i wanted it to. Thought of used Laney, but they tend not to come around too often. Especially the ones i want. Was gonna buy a TF-300 head (as the hybrid issue doesnt bother me seeing as these are still amazing amps) but the lack of headphone out is disturbing. Basically im not saying SHEDLOADS of gain. It does need to be able to replicate hardcore style tones, but i can do that with a half decent amp with an FX loop an my MXR 10band EQ
Check netmusicians.org for a So-Cal 50 clip by a guy named Drucifer.
He boosted one with a SD-1 and the resulting metal tones were actually very good.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION