I didn't know if this was the right forum to post in but o well. Basically at the moment I'm studying film music, and for my coursework i have to submit two pieces of film music i have wrote (well composed on logic pro) to an exam board brief. I was wondering if you guys could give me any tips on composing film music. Thankyou
Put as much atmosphere into it as possible. Every note has to fit into the scene (if there is a scene..)
That is good film music (imo)
go to the guest columns bit, there was a column about it a few months back, i didnt read all of it so i dunno if it will help but its worth a try
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
Quote by Pakao
Put as much atmosphere into it as possible. Every note has to fit into the scene (if there is a scene..)
That is good film music (imo)

Yeah you get given a brief, for example scene 1 may be like 30 seconds and you have to compose appropriate music.
Quote by GuitarHeroUK
Yeah you get given a brief, for example scene 1 may be like 30 seconds and you have to compose appropriate music.

then it depends on the scene itself
is it sad, full of agression, despair or a kitschy happy end?

well for example in "once upon a time in mexico" was a scene when the mariachi had a flashback of his wife and daughter with an extremely soulful acoustic guitar tune played along. It's all up to your interpretation of the situation what would fit the best

edit:
you can also make the sound fade in/fade out. it's a good way of creating the atmosphere you want without sounding abrupt
Last edited by Pakao at Mar 4, 2009,