Hey guys --

I'm not a bassist whatsoever .. this is a question for my current bassist and we are looking for an opinion on a good bass for him to grab.

Price Range: $300-$400 --- New and Used... I prefer Used since I can probably get a better deal.

Type of Music: Metal, Metalcore, Death Metal, Melodic Metal

4 or 5 string bass. Whatever models you guys think would work with our style I would be more than happy to hear. At least than I can get a good idea of what we're looking for and start doing some searching on Craigslist....Thanks
If you're lucky you may get a second hand Warwick Corvette Standard for somewhere near the top end of your budget. See if you can try one out first though, as the necks aren't to everyones taste. Failing that you can't really go wrong with an MIM Fender Jazz
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
I was at a metal show last weekend and heard probably the best metal bass tone ever. he was playing a spector of some sort. Considering the area and the fact that it wasn't natural finish I'm pretty sure it wasn't anything too expensive. This should be good if you can find one used.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Spector-Legend-Classic-4String-Bass?sku=517435

The one I saw looked exactly like this but i thought it was black. The place was poorly lit so it may be the bubinga top. It's the same as the other link but in 5-string version and there are way more options for colors. Since you're gonna have to go used to get this though that part really doesn't matter.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Spector-Legend-Classic-5String-Bass?sku=517436
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by MangeuDePoutine
Look at ESP (for metal) the F-104 i think, good model and price around what you want (4 strings)

Haha the body style of that bass Screams Metal!!!
Alright Nice Suggestions::::

ESP F-104
Warwick Corvette Standard
MIM Fender Jazz
Spector Legend

Any others??
BC Rich basses' got a kind of metal shape?
Check out Ibanez bass and Scheter basses.

Bassist for All That Remains uses Ibanez SR500
Ibanez, Schecter, ESP, Dean are commonly used in metal. I wouldn't get a Fender, when I tune my bass down, which is a Geddy Lee Fender Jazz, it sounds really floppy, especially due to my light strings, which is also a consideration.

Rockbass is a cheaper branch of Warwick that you may want to check out too.
Quote by FbSa
^That's it! No other idea will even come close to that one. Joetime get's a pizza!
Sweet .. thanks for all the answers.. I think I got enough to go off to make an educated decision now..Thanks again
I'd look at Ibanez if you like stuff like Metallice (I think Rob has an Ibanez). It depends on what you mean by "metal", as Iron Maiden's metal and their bassist uses a Fender P-Bass.
Equipment:
-Ibanez GIO
-Fender American Standard Strat HSS
-Acoustic Schneider Guitar
-ARIA STB-PB-DX Bass
-Vox VT50AD-XL
-Roland Cube-30 Bass
-Digitech RP-250
-Blue guitar pick
Proud Member of UG's 80's Rock Fan Club
im only a guitarist, but ive been interested in bass for awhile now, i think that its good to be able to play bass as well cause it might give more oppurtunities for bands and **** like that, anyway, im saving for a Yamaha ERB070
I feel you on that..I would like to learn more about the bass and its purpose..what you can do to make it stand out more..I figured it was good to add more low end to breakdowns and what not..

Metal as in anywhere from Necrophagist to Conducting from the Grave .. so anywhere from technical death metal to metalcore I guess.
Here's a step by step guide to your bass player buying the right bass for him:

Step 1: Bass player goes to a guitar store

Step 2: Bass player tries any and all basses in the store

Repeat Steps 1 & 2 at every store in your city/town until...

Step 3: Bass player finds the bass that is right for HIM, in terms of playability, sound and looks.

Step 4: Bass player buy this bass.

Going about this in any other way will result in him having a bass that is not right for him and will be replaced or lead to him losing interest in playing.

Also: does anyone else find the "Im looking for a bass for my bass player" threads a little weird? Why arent these dudes asking their own questions? its odd.
Quote by to_the_grave
Here's a step by step guide to your bass player buying the right bass for him:

Step 1: Bass player goes to a guitar store

Step 2: Bass player tries any and all basses in the store

Repeat Steps 1 & 2 at every store in your city/town until...

Step 3: Bass player finds the bass that is right for HIM, in terms of playability, sound and looks.

Step 4: Bass player buy this bass.

Going about this in any other way will result in him having a bass that is not right for him and will be replaced or lead to him losing interest in playing.

Also: does anyone else find the "Im looking for a bass for my bass player" threads a little weird? Why arent these dudes asking their own questions? its odd.

Alright, well I feel you and more or less I was just trying to get an idea of what we should try out. In terms of basses, I don't know what works for metal so I asked a question to see opinions of others and experience.

Bro.. haha my bass player would ask the question..if he owned a computer..and could afford internet....and maybe if he knew how to use a computer...than maybe he would be able to ask the questions ...
There's not really a point in asking for a bass if the only criteria is that it must play metal. Really, ANY bass can play metal. Anything from a Precision from a Rickenbacker to a Music Man. (three very, very different tones)

We need to know:

What kind of feel does he prefer? (chunky neck, thin neck, heavy, light, etc...)

What kind of tone does he prefer? (bassy, growly, bright, etc...maybe name some bands?)

Would he prefer active or passive, ideally?
Nope, no sig here.