Those are degrees of a scale, used to make up chords. The root is the first note. For example, in A minor, that is A. The third is the third note, and it determines whether the scale or chord is major or minor. The fifth degree is also a big part of how the chord sounds, but it's almost always the same. The fifth is the second note you find in a power chord.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
its a triad used to build chords
Quote by .arkness:.
I did it in the church confession booth. i jizzed all over the mesh in an attempt to hit the priest.
The root note is the note that a given scale is based on.

So the roote note of a C Major scale is C.

The thirds and fifths are exactly that; the third and fifth note of a given scale.

So for the C Major scale the third note is an E and the fifth note is a G.

The root 3rd and 5th together of this particular scale then make up a C Major Chord and are the main components of an arpeggio.
Into the flood again...
you used the word "one" wrong in your title, "one" means "myself"or "me" so your title doesn't make sense.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Quote by ProphetToJables
you used the word "one" wrong in your title, "one" means "myself"or "me" so your title doesn't make sense.

No it doesn't. One essentially means 'a person'. The only thing he did wrong was use 'they' later in the sentence; it should have been 'he or she' but who the hell is that picky?
Into the flood again...
Quote by ProphetToJables

no he didn't, it was textbook-perfect grammar, go back to school for english lessons.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
no he didn't, it was textbook-perfect grammar, go back to school for english lessons.

+1
Quote by steven seagull

Quote by z4twenny
+1

Haha. Thank you!

Although, I must admit I missed a comma after "Root"!!
Last edited by pluckypigeon at Mar 5, 2009,