I have an American Stratocaster (which was my starter guitar) and now I play a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser and i barely touch the strat. It sounds pretty good in my rig but not anywhere near as good as the hellraiser. What kind of affordable mods could i do to it so it is a usable second guitar?
What styles do you play?

Just a heads up: I'll probably tell you to replace that valve king with something better.

EDIT: I'm stupid, didn't read the thread title.
Anyway, easiest and cheapest mod is installing a humbucker in the strat's bridge position. Check under the pickguard what the guitar is routed for. It's possible that it is routed for HSS or HSH, if so, you could get a replacement HSS-pickguard and buy a humbucker, if not, you could get a single sized humbucker. The latter doesn't sound exactly like a normal humbucker (depends on the specific model how much it sounds like a 'normal' humbucker, of course), but it will help anyway.

And hellassballs, how is it possible to like a Hellraiser more than an AM standard strat? I'll never understand you br00talz guys.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Mar 4, 2009,
New pickups and get a floyd rose installed? Or get a luthier to lower action?:p (Planning to do the same myself )
hot rails, Maiden/Hammett style
WONGA!
Quote by StringAssassin
I would be angry too if there were turds on my head.
Well seeing as you already have a decent 'metal' style guitar, why don't you just keep the strat stock for differant styles?

Thats just a sugestion btw. All you can really do to give it more of an aggressive sound is to drop in a more aggressive pickup. And if you don't fancy routing into your guitar your abit stuck for choice. But Seymour Duncan hot rails are pretty hot. If you put one of those in the bridge it will definatly sound heavier. And although it is a humbucker it's single coil shape so if you ever regret moding guitar you can just put the stock pup back in
Quote by TheQuailman
What styles do you play?

Just a heads up: I'll probably tell you to replace that valve king with something better.

Something better in general or something better for metal?

I play metal and all sort of things through it without any problems whatsoever :3
Quote by Random3
I play metallica, trivium, pantera, opeth, bodom, killswitch, pretty much every form of metal.

Check my edit.

Quote by KoRnOnA6String
Something better in general or something better for metal?

I play metal and all sort of things through it without any problems whatsoever :3

If you like it, keep it, but to me it is a very lacklustre amp. Admittedly, there are few amps that do high gain well for a low price. In the US, Peavey combos like the 6505, XXX or JSX are a good choice for metalheads, there barely are good metal tube amps below their price. In Europe, Engl amps (Screamer, possibly thunder, used Sovereign) are a good choice.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Mar 4, 2009,