This song is called Sunrise and is the latest thing I have written; I decided to post it here to see what the general U.G. populace makes of it. Tell me what you think and I might reciprocate with some good old C4C action if you're lucky.
Attachments:
Sunrise.zip
Last edited by Malakian88 at Mar 8, 2009,
Post this in my Solo thread and I'll solo over it like michael romeo.
Overall it's pretty good, kinda heavy on the trem picking though.
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Seth: 1
A7X: 0
th guy above is bit desperate https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1080750

well, on topic... man after a piece like this your right hand is going to be shaking like its on drugs!!! 99% of it is tremolo picking! doesnt sound that bad, i did like the harmonies but especially the ones in the intro, because the other ones repeat themselves over and over too much and they are pretty boring the 3rd time you hear them.Also i think you left something out since you have 4or 5 empty tracks and i think something should have been there.
I say try to polish it by making (even) more variations on your theme, try to fit a solo in and it may be a good piece.

now, i hope im lucky enough ... in the sig
Quote by szekelymihai
th guy above is bit desperate https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1080750

well, on topic... man after a piece like this your right hand is going to be shaking like its on drugs!!! 99% of it is tremolo picking! doesnt sound that bad, i did like the harmonies but especially the ones in the intro, because the other ones repeat themselves over and over too much and they are pretty boring the 3rd time you hear them.Also i think you left something out since you have 4or 5 empty tracks and i think something should have been there.
I say try to polish it by making (even) more variations on your theme, try to fit a solo in and it may be a good piece.

now, i hope im lucky enough ... in the sig

Yeah i went a little overboard on the tremolo picking and yeah, if I was ever to attempt to perform the entire song live my hand would be dead pretty quickly! I did repeat the main "chorus" bit a little too much, I'm considering only doing it twice instead of three times. But nah, think I'll probably keep it as it is, although I agree it could use a little more variation. Perhaps it'll be fine once the vocals are added.

(As for the empty tracks, ignore them! I have a sort of template that I use whenever I write a new melody or whatever, otherwise I'd have to open Guitar Pro and spend five minutes just adding tracks, sorting out tunings, sorting out panning, changing instruments, and all that crap. So instead I just open this blank template with all the tracks I could possibly need and work from that.)
Quote by Malakian88
Yeah i went a little overboard on the tremolo picking and yeah, if I was ever to attempt to perform the entire song live my hand would be dead pretty quickly! I did repeat the main "chorus" bit a little too much, I'm considering only doing it twice instead of three times. But nah, think I'll probably keep it as it is, although I agree it could use a little more variation. Perhaps it'll be fine once the vocals are added.

(As for the empty tracks, ignore them! I have a sort of template that I use whenever I write a new melody or whatever, otherwise I'd have to open Guitar Pro and spend five minutes just adding tracks, sorting out tunings, sorting out panning, changing instruments, and all that crap. So instead I just open this blank template with all the tracks I could possibly need and work from that.)

oh, i assumed that by melodic you meant instrumental....stupid
if you're willing to add lyrics, than its another matter, depending on them of course
Good luck man
Have made a few small changes, in particular adding a 3rd guitar towards the end of the song - have re-attached the file. Have also uploaded the lyrics too for anyone whom it may interest.
I can see your Dark Tranquility influence here, this song reminds me of skydancer!

I would agree with those that said you should variate your riffs a bit. They seemed to get a bit boring after a while but i suppose they sound alot better with vocals.

I liked the intro, the fade in sounded good and the guitars harmonise well.
Theme 1 was cool, nice guitar work and i like the way it slows down when the vocals come in.
I didn't really like theme 2 as it came in but reading the lyrics with it, it would sound very good with vocals and fits nicely.
The interlude seems a bit out of place, but the riff at bar 132 is a nice change back to the feel of the main themes.
I find it a tad tedious when the theme 2 comes back in and the interlude and then again when it repeats.
I loved the lead in the climax and i liked the bridge, but it didn't strike me as anything special. And it was cool when theme 1 came back in.
The outro was very suiting, much as the intro was and a great way to end the song.

Overall, it was a good solid song but didn't really stand out at all for me. It would sound alot better with vocals and i would be quite happy to hear it with them. Some of it seemed a bit repetitive though.

And i would also ease up on the tremolo picking
I liked theme 2 quite a bit, especially when it comes in with harmony. The riff starting in bar 203 is very nice as well.

When I heard the slide note for the outro, i was kind of expecting a slow melodic solo, which would've been pretty cool to throw in.

Overall, very nice.
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Laney VH100R
Epi Les Paul (SH-1 '59 neck, SH-11 custom custom bridge)
Those interludes were awesome... and also I liked the theme2. The overall tone of this song is pretty dark, but I guess that's the way you like it. I'd propably boost the drums with some interesting breaks especially at theme2. The Bridge at 272 winds things nicely together, as does theme1. I think that theme1 at the beginning was a bit dull... :/ Maybe needs some spicing up.

Overall very nice, but pretty static stuff. And by that I mean, there nothing that really jumps to the listener's face. If we think about this whole song as a one melody, it's equal to playing a scale up and down. There needs to be some bigger jumps to catch the attention. You know what I'm saying?

But overall, there weren't anything that was actually bad. All of it was more or less pleasing to my ears... it's just that the song misses its catch phrase.