I havent made one before. But here's what i got as far as matierals + hardware goes.
I have about. a Full palate of mixed Maple and another of Alder all 2x6 boards aprox 4-5 feet long. I have my old jackson pickups + pots + switch im going to use Or i have some old Tescio gold foil pickups too. As for tools at my disposal, I have a dremmel tool, a wood working bench that clamps things together... a hand sander, a drill press and a Jigsaw. + basic tools everyone has, I.E Chisel

I have access to a planer at school, along with a band saw and belt sander.
I was wondering how i would go about itI'm not planning on making my own neck. Since this is my first build, I'm sending off some maple to a guy who buys wood to make guitars from my dads work. (Where i got the wood for the guitar im building) So, Maple neck, Alder body, birds eye maple fretboard

So far its cost me nothing for the wood, since its all reject wood (Means it just isnt suitable for furniture) I am almost certian this may fail, But im going to try anyways.

EDIT: Project has changed to a Rhoads. the Carboard template for the explorer didnt fit my wood. in a way i could stain it cherry.
Gibson 1972 SG Pro T-Top Bridge, P90 Neck
Dean DBD T ML
Jackson JS30RR EMGs 85-81
Epiphone G-400 Goth
76 Mann Les Paul Custom
Fender f-230 Accoustic
Randall RG-180 DX
Line6 Spider III HD75 Head - Behringer 412
Saving for a Marshall JCM 800.
Last edited by Rtard_GWARRIOR at Mar 18, 2009,
Nice design.
Good Luck! I will be following this thread
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
Thanks, About 5 hours till my woods done drying, then i can go start hopefully. It's a good thing i have lots of wood at my disposal too, Im pretty sure im going to have to start over at some point. Probably during the routing out for electronics since im using a dremmel.
But ive been working with wood since i was around 7 so it shouldnt be too hard to route it all out, If anyone has any ideas how i should practice routing, that'd be great

EDIT: I work at Canadian Tire, so i can pick up a router i guess if a dremmel with a carving tool wont work
This is going to be a long long project

Another Edit: Ill be adding pics of my materials soon, Ie hardware + wood
Dean DBD T ML
Epiphone G-400 Goth
76 Mann Les Paul Custom
Fender f-230 Accoustic
Randall RG-180 DX
Last edited by Rtard_GWARRIOR at Mar 4, 2009,
Quote by Rtard_GWARRIOR
Thanks, About 5 hours till my woods done drying, then i can go start hopefully.

Are you drying your wood in a kiln? Airdrying wood takes a LONG time, much more than 5 hours.

Or have you just timed the years of air-drying of wood down to the number of hours it requires for a certain density?
------

Shwiggity.
The best practice for using a router/dremmel is just practicing templates and stuff on cheap wood.
Good luck with the build!
superman is killing himself tonight
Quote by deftonesordie
Are you drying your wood in a kiln? Airdrying wood takes a LONG time, much more than 5 hours.

Or have you just timed the years of air-drying of wood down to the number of hours it requires for a certain density?

Yeah, I couldnt go pick it up last day, some tard took it out and put it in the rain. So back in the kiln it went this morning i should have it in about 7 hours roughly Depending if somone takes it out again
The smell of the kiln is horrid >.<

(I have it sitting at a lumber mill\hardwood processing plant in their kiln)

So its 8:30 now, and ill be home in about 11 hours. to work on my creation, I went out and bought Gorilla glue before i got to school.

Edit: I got the estimate back from the guy who would make my neck. $290...
Would i be better off trying to make it myself, as a bolt on? or order from Ebay... or Warmoth

I was thinking if i was going to make it myself, take it on a spindle lathe thingy, make it round, cut it in half on a band saw and then plane it till it gets to the way i want it, Maybe it'll work, Ill have to check with the wood working teacher here
Dean DBD T ML
Epiphone G-400 Goth
76 Mann Les Paul Custom
Fender f-230 Accoustic
Randall RG-180 DX
Last edited by Rtard_GWARRIOR at Mar 5, 2009,
Well. The wood cracked in the kiln. So, i have to sift through my palette to find some more suitable peices. But in the meantime. I've taken a picture of my choices of pickup i have to choose from, The silver covered one is from a 67 Gibson SG, the Jackson one is from my JS30RR, and the other one is, Well i dont know what it is but it looks cool. + the pots\output jack They are 500k pots

Yes. Thats green shag carpet.
Dean DBD T ML
Epiphone G-400 Goth
76 Mann Les Paul Custom
Fender f-230 Accoustic
Randall RG-180 DX
How long do you think it takes for wood to dry?
It takes years for wood to dry in a kiln.
Quote by conor1148
who cares if they're drawn,

boobies

Gear:
Peavey Supreme 100W head
Crate 4x12 cab
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
Modded Johnson Stratocaster
Really? I worked for about 4 years at this mill before i went to canadian tire, takes about 10-24 hours to dry wood in its kiln dependant on if its soaked or just semi wet from moisture.
Dean DBD T ML
Epiphone G-400 Goth
76 Mann Les Paul Custom
Fender f-230 Accoustic
Randall RG-180 DX
Quote by Rtard_GWARRIOR
Really? I worked for about 4 years at this mill before i went to canadian tire, takes about 10-24 hours to dry wood in its kiln dependant on if its soaked or just semi wet from moisture.

your right it doesn't take years for wood to dry in a kiln...air drying takes forever. And you don't need a router, just use good sharp straight and rounded chisel's...its all they use to need
I'd use that gibson pickup and the old japanese one. Those old japanese pickups have some cool tones to them.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Good news, i found some new 2x6's to use and they are dry!
I'm picking them up today and then planing them on tuesday, I have also found some thiner maple i could use as a top to the alder, its about 1\2 inch thick, So to put it on would i cut it a bit biger then the body, and then glue it on after ive routed out the body then sand it flush?
Dean DBD T ML
Epiphone G-400 Goth
76 Mann Les Paul Custom
Fender f-230 Accoustic
Randall RG-180 DX
I now have a 8 quater 2'x2' board of alder being planed down to 6 quater. I've also been working on a table out of Tiger Stripe Maple. its beautiful, but it wasnt thick enough to make a guitar out of, it was just too beautiful to ruin. Anyways. my aldur should be done in a few days. and ill take pics when it comes back from the mil

Finaly. I got it back. i will have pics after i buy some batteries for my camera.
Dean DBD T ML
Epiphone G-400 Goth
76 Mann Les Paul Custom
Fender f-230 Accoustic
Randall RG-180 DX
Last edited by Rtard_GWARRIOR at Mar 13, 2009,
If you still need a neck i would suggest one off of ebay from eden guitar necks. i just bought one and it came in this week and it really seems like a good neck and they have paddle headstocks too so you can customize it.
My Gear
Squier Fat Strat Affinity Series
Jackson DK2 Dinky (Trans Red)
Epiphone DR-100

Fender Frontman 15w
Marshall MG50DFX
finaly got some batteries!

Here's my progress! And its been changed to a rhoads style.

After a bit of fun with a skill saw.

Dean DBD T ML
Epiphone G-400 Goth
76 Mann Les Paul Custom
Fender f-230 Accoustic
Randall RG-180 DX
I have now cut over half of the extra crap off with a bandsaw. Before the bandsaw broke
Dean DBD T ML
Epiphone G-400 Goth
76 Mann Les Paul Custom
Fender f-230 Accoustic
Randall RG-180 DX
Yeah, what sucks is all thats left is the small area's that need to be cut with a bandsaw. I'll be finishing up that stuff and then planing it down to 6 quater then sanding the sides, then routing time! In about a week....
Dean DBD T ML
Epiphone G-400 Goth
76 Mann Les Paul Custom
Fender f-230 Accoustic
Randall RG-180 DX
looking good, can't wait for more updates!

You do realise though, maple is very heavy. I would suggest you chamber out the body and put a top on
Quote by guitarcam123
looking good, can't wait for more updates!

You do realise though, maple is very heavy. I would suggest you chamber out the body and put a top on

It's Alder, Not that heavy at all. Weighs about 10lbs as it stands right now. the body will be about i guess. 6lbs by the time im done, I do have some brids eye maple. But not enough to make a guitar from. I need to wait for more to be cut off at the mil and deemed scrap so i can add to my current little maple sheet. I had tiger stripe maple. not thick enough for a guitar, Made a table, Stained it a nice cherry, the lines in the wood showed up very very very beautifuly, Although its only for the camper.So yeah, More pics in a few days!
Dean DBD T ML
Epiphone G-400 Goth
76 Mann Les Paul Custom
Fender f-230 Accoustic
Randall RG-180 DX
pics of the table, or of the guitar? Either is acceptable
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Quote by bv310
pics of the table, or of the guitar? Either is acceptable

Pics of guitar are already up. I didn't take pics of the table because its. Well a table. its pretty much glued maple. And no, Im actualy going to stain this guitar. Probably a dark walnut.
Dean DBD T ML
Epiphone G-400 Goth
76 Mann Les Paul Custom
Fender f-230 Accoustic
Randall RG-180 DX
Last edited by Rtard_GWARRIOR at Mar 23, 2009,
Finaly, More progress, I have cut the excess off, then sanded it for about 10 minutes with a small autosander thingy. Didnt like it so i started to hand sand it for about 2 hours... And here's where i am with it now

Dean DBD T ML
Epiphone G-400 Goth
76 Mann Les Paul Custom
Fender f-230 Accoustic
Randall RG-180 DX
looks good, you may wanna round off the corners a bit to prevent snapping..

LP: why does he need to paint it? I like the grain.. plus it will be a walnut top (am i right?)
It's going to be all Alder Maybe a maple neck, depends on what i can find for cheap
as for a top, Im not doing one, I have a drill that can contort to any angle pretty much and im just going to drill a hole from the pickup cavaty to the electronics. Since its just going to be one pickup like a RR24, But volume and tone knobs. And a gibson style bridge. I hate changing strings on string through, So this could be interesting when im done... The stain im using is a like black walnut, I actualy have some Black Walnut laying around, Its kinda cool. almost looks like a brick of milk chocolate

I also rounded off all the edges this morning to give it a carved look, so its not so... flat looking
Dean DBD T ML
Epiphone G-400 Goth
76 Mann Les Paul Custom
Fender f-230 Accoustic
Randall RG-180 DX
Last edited by Rtard_GWARRIOR at Mar 28, 2009,