Quick question: If I were to get a guitar with two splittable humbuckers, how much would it cost to install coil tap switches on it?
Quote by Kensai
Hipster.

I have a name. It is Mitch.
Quote by gbgg9409
Quick question: If I were to get a guitar with two splittable humbuckers, how much would it cost to install coil tap switches on it?

If you wire it yourself? About $5.00
Quote by Thomme
I would have liked it more if the leprichaun didn't look like it was trying to take a massive dump on the rainbow. But, kuddos, man.
What about if I got somebody at a guitar shop to do it for me? Because I only have one guitar, and I don't want to screw it up.
Quote by Kensai
Hipster.

probably 30-40$ i would guess. But instead of a switch (although technically the same thing) I would probably use a push/pull pot, its nicer, no drilling required, just a bit of soldering and thats it
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
^ yup. Concentric pots or stacked pots and a soldering iron (assuming your pups are already 4-conductor) are all you'll need.
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by gbgg9409
What about if I got somebody at a guitar shop to do it for me? Because I only have one guitar, and I don't want to screw it up.

you also have to factor in the turn-around time. doubtful that any place is going to do it while you wait.
everybody here will tell you to DIY
get yourself some push/pull, 500k pots from stewmac or somewhere
get a soldering iron and some solder and some electronics wiring and practice soldering the wire onto the pots that are being switched out. also practice your wire-stripping skills!
good luck

what kind of guitar do you have? if its one with the pots that are accessed from the rear of the guitar, i would suggest that you get a piece of cardboard and cut little holes (in the same pattern they are in the guitar body) to push the pot-shafts thru and place this ontop of the electronics cavity. so that you aren't trying to work inside that little area.
Last edited by sethp at Mar 4, 2009,
Quote by sethp
you also have to factor in the turn-around time. doubtful that any place is going to do it while you wait.
everybody here will tell you to DIY
get yourself some push/pull, 500k pots from stewmac or somewhere
get a soldering iron and some solder and some electronics wiring and practice soldering the wire onto the pots that are being switched out. also practice your wire-stripping skills!
good luck

what kind of guitar do you have? if its one with the pots that are accessed from the rear of the guitar, i would suggest that you get a piece of cardboard and cut little holes (in the same pattern they are in the guitar body) to push the pot-shafts thru and place this ontop of the electronics cavity. so that you aren't trying to work inside that little area.

I don't have a 2-humbucker guitar yet, I'm just wondering, because I might want to turn my Squier into a Big Apple Strat or something. But thanks a lot for the instructions!
Quote by Kensai
Hipster.