was wondering if there's any tonal difference between direct mounting double-coil pickups as opposed to ring mounted? or is it just cosmetic?
thanks
mostly cosmetic, though there is tonal change due to the routing and pickup against the wood. mostly it's easier to adjust the pup with rings.
Rings make a noticeable difference. With direct mounting, the pickups come in contact with wood, which creates more sustain. Pickup rings are easier to adjust though.
Fender Tie-Dye Stratocaster
Charvel So-Cal (Dimarzio Air Norton and D-Sonic)
Minarik Inferno (SD Pearly Gates and Custom Custom)
Guild GAD-C3 (A flamenca negra)
Yamaha FG433S (A steel-string acoustic)

Egnater Tourmaster 4212
Peavey Rage 158
Quote by HellRaiser620
Rings make a noticeable difference. With direct mounting, the pickups come in contact with wood, which creates more sustain. Pickup rings are easier to adjust though.

no more needs said. hes got it.
Quote by POWERMETAL!
no more needs said. hes got it.

Uh... How about it's cosmetic. Think about what is being said. A pickup being attached to the body of a guitar is going to sustain longer. How is it going to sustain longer? The sustain of the guitar is determined by how quickly the vibrational energy of the strings is absorbed into the guitar. This will be determined by anything that comes into contact with the strings, and your pickups should not contact the springs.

You can get some more sustain out of single coil pups by lowering them away from the strings, but that is due to the magnetic drag on the strings. Hums don't suffer from this because the magnets are opposite polarity and cancel each other out.
Quote by PainIsPower
Uh... How about it's cosmetic. Think about what is being said. A pickup being attached to the body of a guitar is going to sustain longer. How is it going to sustain longer? The sustain of the guitar is determined by how quickly the vibrational energy of the strings is absorbed into the guitar. This will be determined by anything that comes into contact with the strings, and your pickups should not contact the springs.

You can get some more sustain out of single coil pups by lowering them away from the strings, but that is due to the magnetic drag on the strings. Hums don't suffer from this because the magnets are opposite polarity and cancel each other out.
no.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Just buy wooden pickup rings? I've seen rosewood ones out there, properly attached they're probably just as good as direct mounting. But if you prefer direct mounting, then go ahead.
Unless this guy's talking about is there a difference between ADDING pickup rings vs NOT having pickup rings. But his question is worded oddly.

If you mean the difference between adding a pickup shroud or ring around a pickup, then no I'd say the only difference is cosmetic and maybe a little TINY bit noticeable sound wise.

However, if you're talking about direct mount to wood vs a pickup attached only to a pickguard, then the difference we're talking about is the amount of vibrational energy that gets transferred to the pickup from the wood itself. With a direct mount there will be more, but not an amazing amount. Yes it will sound different and perhaps more fuller compared to a pickguard or a ring mounted pickup, but it won't be light and day different. Up to you, you can start with a direct mount and then ring/pickguard mount it.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
^Heh, light and day...

Anyways, although the last part of his post was bogus, PainIsPower was correct about sustain... There's no way the sustain would be affected.
LP Addict always surface-mounts, as far as i know.

Some swear either way. I really don't think it makes a difference.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
I got some di marzio custom pickups that came out of a Parker Fly that I'm putting into a self build guitar. I've read a few threads on direct mounting pickups and wanted to ceck if anyone knows how to fit these to the body? There are no pickup surrounds with them or any fixing plates. Do I just drill a couple of pilot holes in my guitar body and screw the two allen screws on the top into the body?
Last edited by Brahms & Liszt at Mar 10, 2009,
Quote by Invader Jim
There is no tonal or sustain difference. It's all tone-freak bullshit.

+ OVER 9 THOUSAND!!!!!!!!!
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P