Im almost finishing making my first neck. Now my question is, the frets should just be hammered on to the wood, or do they need some glue?. Also should I laquer the neck (its a one piece) before or after putting frets?

thanks
Last edited by divinorum69 at Mar 4, 2009,
is your fretboard radiused and slotted?

If not, do that first.

then, If you have a proper hammer (brass is a little easier on the frets, otherwise they'll dent) just lightly (but firmly) tap in the frets, just make sure you have your fretwire radiused to the same as your fretboard. Maybe throw a drop of glue under the ends after trimming if possible?
------

Shwiggity.
Its not radiused nor slotted. I know I should do this before proceding any more. But I just wanted to know if the fretboard was laquered before or after being fretted.

Sory for the late reply, I was at the eye doctor, I need glasses and they gave me some drops and my eye got dilated as hell. I couldnt read anything for at least 2 and a half hours.

Anyways thanks!
It seems to be easier to fret, mask off the frets and then apply the clear coat, because if you clear coat first, cleaning up the slot and then fretting is likely to damage the finish.

Heres a thread with the discussion in I started on PG a while ago

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=35234&hl=

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Absent Mind
It seems to be easier to fret, mask off the frets and then apply the clear coat, because if you clear coat first, cleaning up the slot and then fretting is likely to damage the finish.

Heres a thread with the discussion in I started on PG a while ago

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=35234&hl=

Hey absent mind, thanks for your tip! Thats what I was looking for too!

Absent Mind and deftonesordie thanks for clearing up my remaining doubts!

Although I believe that it will be sort of a challange to me since I laquer with paintbrush. I think that the best result would be with nitrocellulose so the FB can breathe a little and later on it will ware out.
Worst case,you could probably just paint right over the frets with the lacquer, and sand each one back to metal?

I wouldn't recommend it, though.
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by deftonesordie
Worst case,you could probably just paint right over the frets with the lacquer, and sand each one back to metal?

I wouldn't recommend it, though.

Yes worst case senario I can sand the frets a little, it wont matter that much if I use Jumbos. After that I level them all up and set, and ready to go. Although Ill be extra careful to try and avoid this sort of fate.
Last edited by divinorum69 at Mar 4, 2009,
Good call.

as long as you take your time, you should be okay.

Idea:

radius the board
lacquer the board
tape over the finished board
cut fret slots while taped
insert frets
remove tape

Just a quick thought.
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by deftonesordie
Good call.

as long as you take your time, you should be okay.

Idea:

radius the board
lacquer the board
tape over the finished board
cut fret slots while taped
insert frets
remove tape

Just a quick thought.

Nice, Ill do this with one neck, and the other procedure with the other neck that I have.

Also any tips on slotting without any accesorie exept a ruler and a saw?
since we are talking about necks you dont have to do laminates right? lol. i know, stupid question

and yes, you gotta get the right saw. and maybe a straight edge?
you don't NEED to do laminates, many companies don't. but it greatly improves the strength of the neck.
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by deftonesordie
you don't NEED to do laminates, many companies don't. but it greatly improves the strength of the neck.

but ill be good to go if i dont? sorry. i mean like if i bump it it wont snap right? its a set neck
It shouldn't, so long as your grain's proper and you have a truss rod and fretboard.
------

Shwiggity.
Its not going to snap lol

personally I wouldnt trust myself making a one peice, at least not for a while, the big companies like fender have the budget to choose the finest dry stable wood and machines that will make necks perfect every time, I dont and so laminating a neck gives me some peace of mind.

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
Quote by Absent Mind
Its not going to snap lol

personally I wouldnt trust myself making a one peice, at least not for a while, the big companies like fender have the budget to choose the finest dry stable wood and machines that will make necks perfect every time, I dont and so laminating a neck gives me some peace of mind.

alright then. one more question. if i laminate the three pieces with all the same wood, ribbon mahogany, would it look crappy?
IMO yes, I hate laminates of the same wood I prefer constrasting coloures between the woods, but do what you want.

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
You'll want a Jeweller's saw or a special japanese saw, the teeth are much finer and will make much better fret slots. If they're too loose, you'll HAVE to glue the frets in.

Lams of the same wood will work fine, and If done correctly can have a very nice effect. I agree with Absent most of the time, sometimes it can look okay, but it's always nice to have some contrast.
------

Shwiggity.
if you can put a little bit of gap filling glue in the slot, and if possible then use a drill press to press the frets in evenly..
Why are you bumping this thread?

there's no updates, stop necrobumping.
------

Shwiggity.