In an A+b9 chord theres the intervals 1 3 #5 b9

Can chords include both sharps and flats or just one?

for example would it be

A C# E# A#

or

A C# E# Bb

thanks in advance
Last edited by griffRG7321 at Mar 4, 2009,
You answered your own question. A+b9 contains the intervals of 1-3-#5-b9.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
A chord can contain both, but the easiest way to tell is to find out the relevant scale degree and sharpen/flatten it as the formula states without changing the note name.

Eg. A b5 with root C would be the fifth, G, flattened, Gb not A#.
The first one. You're right in both cases; enharmonically it's the same but if you want to be exact, go by 12345abcd3's bold mark: without changing the note name.

So an A+b9 would be A C# E# Bb. If you add the 7th there's a G in there as well. But you're right, the Bb and A# are the same, it just that any theory head will tell you to say Bb to follow the scale names properly.
But you're right, the Bb and A# are the same

This is only true in 12-TET, and even then they only sound the same. They describe completely different things.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by griffRG7321
In an A+b9 chord theres the intervals 1 3 #5 b9
A C# E# A#

or

A C# E# Bb

thanks in advance

The only problem I can see is how would you write A C# E# A#? That A# is an augmented root. What would you name that chord? You couldn't name the A# a b9 since it's a #8.

In this case using A C# E# Bb gives you a nice way of naming where each note has it's own scale degree to name it with.
Si
Quote by Archeo Avis
This is only true in 12-TET, and even then they only sound the same. They describe completely different things.

I think it's fair to assume that when someone say's that they are "the same", they mean that it sounds the same. Considering this is Ultimate Guitar, I think it's also fair to assume that we are indeed talking about equal temperament, since it was not stated otherwise. Regarding the fact that it should be refered to as Bb and not A#...I believe he covered that as well.

Nice job at being unnecessarily pedantic though.

Quote by 20Tigers
The only problem I can see is how would you write A C# E# A#? That A# is an augmented root. What would you name that chord? You couldn't name the A# a b9 since it's a #8.

In this case using A C# E# Bb gives you a nice way of naming where each note has it's own scale degree to name it with.

+1
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Mar 4, 2009,
Can someone tell me why the 5 is sharp yet its still only called A+b9?

Does A+b9 mean A major add b9?
I'm Tyler
In math + means add but in chord notation + means augmented. An augmented triad is root major 3rd augmented 5th or 1 3 #5.

so we get some chord names...

A = A major triad 1 3 5
A9 = A dominant ninth 1 3 5 b7 9
A(b9) -not 100% on this one but I read it as = A7b9 = A dominant with flat ninth 1 3 5 b7 b9
Aadd9 = A major add nine 1 3 5 9
Aaddb9 = A major add flat nine 1 3 5 b9

A+ = A augmented triad 1 3 #5
A+9 = A augmented dominant ninth 1 3 #5 b7 9
A+b9 = A augmented dominant with flat nine 1 3 #5 b7 9
A+add9 = A augmented add nine 1 3 #5 9
A+addb9 = A augmented add flat nine 1 3 #5 b9

So really the chord the TS posted should either be
A+addb9 = A C# E# Bb
or
A+b9 = A C# E# G Bb

At least I think. Corrections welcome.
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Mar 4, 2009,
so we get some chord names...

A(b9) -not 100% on this one but I read it as = A7b9 = A dominant with flat ninth 1 3 5 b7 b9

A+ = A augmented triad 1 3 #5
A+9 = A augmented dominant ninth 1 3 #5 b7 9
A+b9 = A augmented dominant with flat nine 1 3 #5 b7 9
A+add9 = A augmented add nine 1 3 #5 9
A+addb9 = A augmented add flat nine 1 3 #5 b9

At least I think. Corrections welcome.

I consider ALL dominate 7th chords to include the "7" in their nominclature..same with extensions..9 , 11 & 13

I might read the A+9 to be an major triad with the 9th tone added..in recording work most guys ask for clarification of chord names BEFORE we begin playing (i always bring a pencil with me..) the + and - signs still mean different things to different people at different times...the + sign is used many times as a shortcut to the word "add" ... in some settings the "-" sign means "minor" as in A-9 not A add-9...though it could mean that...fun huh..

until there is a standard for the symbols we will havs some confusion in chord naming

play well

wolf