I did a quick search and couldn't find an answer so sorry if this gets asked a lot, but I have been playing guitar with some guys who are into Third Wave Ska music. I normally don't play this type of music and I notice that the outside of my thumb on my pick hand has a sore/blister developing I guess from occasionally hitting it on the strings while up stroking. Is this normal at first or is my technique all wrong?

Thanks
Quote by Ryan1021
I did a quick search and couldn't find an answer so sorry if this gets asked a lot, but I have been playing guitar with some guys who are into Third Wave Ska music. I normally don't play this type of music and I notice that the outside of my thumb on my pick hand has a sore/blister developing I guess from occasionally hitting it on the strings while up stroking. Is this normal at first or is my technique all wrong?

Thanks

The pick itself won't cause a blister. It is definitely down to hitting the strings like you described. You need to simply adjust your technique so you're not slamming your thumb into the strings.
stop playing ska? theres like one famous ska band ever, theres a reason for that...
I play acoustic using my thumb to strum and got a blister when I was first starting. Just take it easy for a few days, and get a callus like burnboy said