There is one on my local craigslist for $700, which I thought was a good deal, so I'm looking more into it. I play classic rock, alternative, blues, and funk. Are the speakers as bad as some people say? Or are the alnico blues just that much better?

Also, I heard the reliability is bad, and since im buying used I can't a warranty or anything. Someone care to weigh in?

I was originally looking at Marshall JCM 800 combos, but this is much more in my price range, and seems to cover alot of the same genres.

Thanks
Now do you believe in rock and roll?

Can music save your mortal soul?
The Alnico Blues are some of the nicest speakers out there. So comparing the two isn't fair. The speakers that come in it are good, not as good as Alnicos, but good. There are reliability issues with any tube amp. Just take good care of it and you will be fine. JCM800 is probably a better amp for higher gain things but the AC30 is a sweet amp and a good deal for $700.
Quote by Thepoison92
Go as a tampon
White shirt, white hat, white trousers (cheap ones) and cover the bottom half in fake blood, also have to write 'Tampax' on the shirt, so people know what you are and can then be disgusted.
You can pick up JCM800 combos for around £200 in the UK. They could probably do with a valve change after that, but other than that.
I'm in US

That seems like a good deal, if you like that tone then I'd say go for it. Just make sure the amp's in good condition and doesn't have any glaring flaws.

Edit: I don't mean cosmetic damage. Make sure you turn every knob all the way up and down and listen for crackling. Make sure you can crank it for a minute to see if it craps out.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Last edited by Kevin Saale at Mar 4, 2009,
$700 is a very, very good price. A top class amp for $700, man, that's hard to pass up.

I say buy it and with the money you've saved buy yourself an EQ pedal. The treble on the VOX AC30 CC2 needs to be tamed - an EQ pedal can do that. You can also use the EQ pedal as a boost - boost added to an overdriven AC30 is fantastic.
Quote by xIckyThumpx
I'm in US

I know, I would have thought prices would have been very similar. How much are they over there then?
Not that cheap I can tell you that. A JCM800 combo is expensive around here. Close to $1,000 easily.
Quote by Thepoison92
Go as a tampon
White shirt, white hat, white trousers (cheap ones) and cover the bottom half in fake blood, also have to write 'Tampax' on the shirt, so people know what you are and can then be disgusted.
If you don't, I will fly over to the US and buy it instead.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by H_ngm_n
Not that cheap I can tell you that. A JCM800 combo is expensive around here. Close to $1,000 easily.

That a ripoff. They're not nearly as cheap as they are in the UK, but we still get them for around 600-800 bucks (300-400ish pounds) depending on your luck. They're cheaper in the UK because that's where they're made.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite