Hi all,

Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place, but I'm having trouble with the status of a few songs me and some friends intend to record.

Basically, if a song is traditional (folk and roots), where do you stand on copyright for it? Many of my favourite bands do arrangements of traditional songs and release them on recordings, even Thin Lizzy and Metallica did Whisky in the Jar.

I just don't want to get into trouble when it comes to any distribution you see.

I've searched the net, but I'm not getting many straight answers.

Cheers for any help.
Quote by Karvid
You win this thread. And UG. I haven't actually lol'd at a post in a really long time. Thanks for changing that. I expect a sig

He expected this.

Something you definitely need to know
Don't record covers. Play them live but don't record them.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
Don't record covers. Play them live but don't record them.

Well it's not like they are covers, they are traditional songs. All the recorded version I've seen by countless bands just have acknowledgements such as "Traditional, arranged by (band/artist's name). It's not the same as if I covered Billie Jean aparently, but I don't know what I'd need to do.
Quote by Karvid
You win this thread. And UG. I haven't actually lol'd at a post in a really long time. Thanks for changing that. I expect a sig

He expected this.

Quote by Saf1
Send the record company's legal dep't an email they'll give you the best answer

Threaten to upload their albums if they don't reply

But no record company owns traditional songs, this is what I'm getting at!
Quote by Karvid

He expected this.

What Trad song are you looking to cover? Worst case scenario, just record it and give credit to "Original Authors"
I think in the UK copyright runs out after 50 years, and it's a free for all, so seeing as they're traditional, I doubt anyone can claim copyright to them. And for that matter I know people who have done traditional song albums, but I'm not sure about how they were distributing them. So my instinct would be to say that you have nothing to worry about.
Musically ignorant. Seeking education.

Am female. Finally have bass!

As cunning as a fox who has just been made professor of cunning at Oxford university.

Muse = genius.