Lately i have been learning the arpeggios section of Altitudes by Jason Becker and I can't really seem to get one of the sweeps clean. Its just the 3 string one though.

l-----12p7---------7--12p7----l
l------------8----8---------------l
l--------------9-------------------l
l----------------------------------l

I have continued to practice it slowly and even when i play it slowly it sounds like **** and when i speed it a little ( and I mean a little) up it sounds almost like a note is being muted when i run through it. I think its b/c its a bit of a stretch from 7 to 12 and its possible that when i do that stretch and return my hand back to normal i could be hitting another string. So what do I need to do just really hammer down on this one arpeggio and practice at incredibly slow speeds when I get home from school for like an hour and a half or what? Im auctually better on the 5 string arpeggios than this one.
My Gear
Jackson Pro Series DK2M
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
VOX AD50VTXL Valvetronix Amp
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell

Originally Posted By iron_maiden93

He wants to rape us....He raped me

I'd recommend starting higher up on the fretboard in a place you can make that stretch, for instance, maybe start on the 15th fret and pull off to the 12th. Then move the shape up a fret at a time until you reach the position you want.
Gear List:
B.C. Rich NT Jr. V (With Seymour Duncan AHB-1 Blackout in bridge)
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Marshall MG15DFX
Jazz III picks
DR strings
Planet Waves Cables
I can make the stretch easily. Its just I cant get it very clean, or as clean as I might like it.
My Gear
Jackson Pro Series DK2M
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
VOX AD50VTXL Valvetronix Amp
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell

Originally Posted By iron_maiden93

He wants to rape us....He raped me

You already have the answer dude...it hardly ever changes
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Avengethedeath

I have continued to practice it slowly and even when i play it slowly it sounds like **** and when i speed it a little ( and I mean a little) up it sounds almost like a note is being muted when i run through it. I think its b/c its a bit of a stretch from 7 to 12 and its possible that when i do that stretch and return my hand back to normal i could be hitting another string. So what do I need to do just really hammer down on this one arpeggio and practice at incredibly slow speeds when I get home from school for like an hour and a half or what? Im auctually better on the 5 string arpeggios than this one.

You actually pay attention to what you're doing so that you can see the fault, and then correct it. There is no simpler course of action.

Do it slowly until it's perfectly clean and perfectly easy before you even think about speeding it up.
Quote by Avengethedeath
I can make the stretch easily. Its just I cant get it very clean, or as clean as I might like it.

Then go slower than you have been before, get to a speed where you can play it easily and cleanly. Then practice at that speed for around 15 minutes, then try it a little faster (I'm talking around 2bpm faster) and practice that for 15 minutes... The pattern continues. If you can't play it at the faster speed, go back and practice at the fastest you can do it again.
Gear List:
Marshall MG15DFX
Jazz III picks
DR strings
Planet Waves Cables
I guess you can consider a few steps:

1) practice the fretting formation while just picking
2) practice the sweep pick while just muting
3) practice economy picking the formation (faster then step 1)
4) practice the formation up and down your fret board.

obviously you understand to go slow the first time so I'm not going to patronize you. Remember it takes a really long time to learn how to sweep because there are so many formations and strings and arpeggios available. I wouldn't rush learning this technique because it takes most people years.
<3<3<3MILKSHAKE<3<3<3
My advice would be listen.

Get a metronome on, and as SOON as that next click strikes play the next note, play in time cleanly. Then check your economy of motion. Once you know your movements are as small as possible whilst still being able to play it cleanly, build it up with a metronome whilst keeping these movements small. Remember, playing cleanly is better than playing fast and sloppy in every case. Ever.
Sorry to hijack topic, but kinda related;

I can do the arp, but my thumb feels so awkward pressing against the neck that I can't hold it for more than a minute, which makes practicing speed hell. What's the proper way to place your thumb and still have the stretch needed?
Quote by GordianKn0t
Sorry to hijack topic, but kinda related;

I can do the arp, but my thumb feels so awkward pressing against the neck that I can't hold it for more than a minute, which makes practicing speed hell. What's the proper way to place your thumb and still have the stretch needed?

My thumb is angled toward the headstock (pointing toward the 7th fret) and about level with the top edge of the neck, though not curving over it.
Gear List:
Marshall MG15DFX
Jazz III picks
DR strings
Planet Waves Cables