when i turn the volume down on my guitar it hums, but when i turn the tone down it stops humming. also, when i leave the tone up touching the bridge or pots or pups or tom stops the humming. Is this a grounding problem??? It could be because the pickups i got are stock epi "high output" pups. You think?? Its not a crazy hum but it is quite annoying.

any answers??
wrong section.

1. make sure your guitar is grounded.
2. make sure your amp has a ground prong/wire and it's connected to a grounded output.
3. humming remains? try a noise suppressor.
"When I tried to play something and screwed up, I'd hear some other note that would come into play. Then I started trying different things to find the beauty in it."
-Dimebag Darrell
I have been considering replacing the pots but its a new guitar and they dont crackle or anything. The ground to the bridge is secure and i cant think of anything else. I might be answeing my own question but i think i may just need to shield it and swap the pickups??? any confirmations??? Mx
guitars with passive electronics are just born to hum, it's just the nature of the beast.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Sounds like high output pickups to me. You probably just need a noise suppressor, as stated above - usually, guitars come with a ground already in place.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Stock epi pups aren't that high output. Like mike said, it's jsut the nature of the beast. Everything you said is normal for a guitar.

If you shield it, though, it'll kill the hum. Ask lumberjack how he did his. He said it now makes as much noise as a rock.
Quote by Martallika666
when i turn the volume down on my guitar it hums, but when i turn the tone down it stops humming. also, when i leave the tone up touching the bridge or pots or pups or tom stops the humming. Is this a grounding problem??? It could be because the pickups i got are stock epi "high output" pups. You think?? Its not a crazy hum but it is quite annoying.

any answers??
this all sounds normal. and when you touch the strings, the humming stops too, right? (normal)

Shielding can be very helpful. Also, stay away from sources of electromagnetic noise. (fluorescent lights, motors, transformers, computers, etc.)
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
first tell us if you check you ground if you dont touch you guiar and have you amp voulme up pretty high you should get a loud hum then when you touch the strings or tuners of bridge it should quiet down tell us if it does that if it doesnt you need to ground you guitar
Quote by SG Commander
first tell us if you check you ground if you dont touch you guiar and have you amp voulme up pretty high you should get a loud hum then when you touch the strings or tuners of bridge it should quiet down tell us if it does that if it doesnt you need to ground you guitar

Quote by Martallika666
touching the bridge or pots or pups or tom stops the humming.

I have the same problems with my electric bass. One humbucker neck and a single in the bridge. Each with their own volume knob which goes into the tone knob (I think thats correct right?) and then into the output jack.

As far as I can tell it only buzzes (and i mean BUZZ like a ****ing bee) when the tone knob isn't on full grounding, aka the only time my bass doesn't buzz is when the tone is completely bassy (all treble frequencies, or most, going to ground correct?)

I'm going to try three things, and I'll post a little guide.

Firstly I scrapped off the paint from the bridge and pulled back some more of the shielding from the cable going from the tone pot ground solder to the bridge so it has a bigger contact point.

Secondly I ordered new pots and new cable.

Thirdly I'm going to use copper shielding on the inside to see if that helps.

I'll let you know how it works.

It does bother me though, humbuckers are supposed to buck the hum, but all I hear is THEM SLACKING OFF.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Last edited by sesstreets at Mar 5, 2009,
I know Jim only the 60hz buzz, but come on!

BUCK THE ****ING HUM ALREADY lol
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by Invader Jim

Touching grounded parts of the guitar, regardless of amp volume, should stop or reduce humming. Simple as that.

So it means my guitar is grounded if touching these parts stops the humming??? Then how do you reduce the hum??!!! AAAAAARRGGH!!! dont want to get another noise gate as it affects the tone to much.
Quote by Invader Jim
What? You touch the strings, the humming stops. What's the problem?

Maybe he should just keep playing forever and never stop? Just rest your hand on the strings when your not playing and you wont have hum issues. Every one's guitar hums. Every one has to deal with it. If it really bothers you that much, install a kill switch, yes I just recommended this even though I dislike them. This to me is their only useful use.

Quote by Martallika666
So it means my guitar is grounded if touching these parts stops the humming??? Then how do you reduce the hum??!!! AAAAAARRGGH!!! dont want to get another noise gate as it affects the tone to much.

Like what was said. This is all normal. I've seen some good sites/posts about it though. Do a search for it if it is really that big of an issue because I forget where they are.
Ok. If touching the strings, bridge, pots, etc. stops the humming does that mean my guitar is grounded? Yes or No? ...
Quote by Martallika666
Ok. If touching the strings, bridge, pots, etc. stops the humming does that mean my guitar is grounded? Yes or No? ...

yes.