Hi,

so I've ben playing for a while now and Im sick of the minor pentatonic and the major scale. what scale should I learn next?
thanx
A drumer is needed!!

In Dammam or Khobar
Do you know all the major scale modes? Those are quite useful.
yes major scale modes very usefull and different. check out any theory lessons on here about modes or modal scales. they should tell you all you need to know. Its difficult to get at first but keep at it. in the mean time try the harmonic minor scale.
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Theres no way you can get bored of scales,I guess you didnt play around them alot or tried licks with them or whatever.
What scale to learn next? Why - it's the exxonvaldezian, ofcourse!
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by MosesThoukwho
Theres no way you can get bored of scales,I guess you didnt play around them alot or tried licks with them or whatever.

I didnt "get" sick of them, I just want a new sound
A drumer is needed!!

In Dammam or Khobar
Ignore the guy who toldyou to learn the modes, you won't need those for a while. Just learn to improvise in different keys with those scales until you really get the hang of them.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
Quote by Froboarder
Ignore the guy who toldyou to learn the modes, you won't need those for a while. Just learn to improvise in different keys with those scales until you really get the hang of them.

I did. I've been playing the minor pentatonic for more than 2 years now.
A drumer is needed!!

In Dammam or Khobar
If you don't want to jump into modes straight away maybe have a look at the blues scale? It's got loads of useful rock applications and might help you get the different sound you're looking for
hit the modes. i've been introducing my little brother to them and he seems fine learning them, good for improv and writing your own solos..

then move on to harmonic minor or diminished or some other crazyness..
Quote by shpaz
Hi,

so I've ben playing for a while now and Im sick of the minor pentatonic and the major scale. what scale should I learn next?
thanx

You don;t need to learn any more scales, you need to learn how to use the ones you already know.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Harmonic minor is sweeeeet. It's just your regular minor scale with a sharpened 7th.
You think it's just another boring minor scale lick and then... KAPOW! MAJOR SEVENTH! Suddenly I'm on a spaceship over Marracech. It really is that awesome.
There is such a thing like minor or major pentatonic .
Pentatonic scale sound same in both and they have build up by same notes .
Quote by steven seagull
You don;t need to learn any more scales, you need to learn how to use the ones you already know.

This is the best advice in this thread so far.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by steven seagull

+1
Quote by steven seagull

Amen.

But it sounds like you want the experience and intellectual challenge of learning new scales..which is never a bad thing. I second the "modes" idea. Check out YouTube and look up Vinnie Moore's lesson on modes. It's a multi-part series. If it's intellectual challenge you want...it's there. Plan on watching the lesson many times and buffing up your theory knowledge.

If you just want to play better...well, people spend lifetimes learning how to phrase and sound great even in one particular scale. Try jamming along with your favorite band or with your friends.

Let us know how you come along!