my first guitar was a dean avalanche 009 playmate, it was a good guitar to start with, but after i got my epi les paul, i realized how suckish it was. it goes out of tune, and the tone sucks! the neck pickup isnt bad, its a nice old fashioned single coil, but the bridge humbucker sucks absolutely! I figured if i replace one, i might as well replace the other, and if im replacing both i might as well save myself some trouble and buy a prewired pick guard and keep soldering to a minimum. i found two i thought will due, im looking for something that can do metal, but at the same time do clean nice tones. the two i found are

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/EMG-EMGGC21-SA-Prewired-Pickguard-Set?sku=300274

http://www.stewmac.com/shopby/product/6140

im worried the golden age cant do metal, and the emg cant do clean. PLEASE HELP!
if the golden age can do metal, ill definitely do that one, but i just want one that will work, i play classic rock, and classic 80's style metal (OZZY) and even some newer ozzy, if anyone has expirience withe either of these, i would certainly apreciate help
-thanks
My Gear:
EspLtd ec-1000 ]
Epi Les Paul
dean avalanche (project guitar)
C.F. Martin/ Sigma DR-41
C.F. Martin CS-1 classical
Vox Valvetronix tonelab ST
C.F.Martin/ Sigma D-12
Quote by 667
Save up for an nicer amp first.

100%. The amp will affect your tone WAY more than new pickups will.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Amp > Pickups. You're probably not gonna notice a huge difference in tone between pickups. Any difference you do won't necessarily be better, just different. I hate to say, but, save up for a new amp.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Your amp is the problem.
I'm in a bad mood and I see this kind of thing too often so I'm just going to say you're being incredibly stupid without judging the situation properly. Harsh of me but I don't care, this is getting ridiculous.
REPLACEMENT PICKUPS WILL NOT MAKE ANY SIGNIFICANT TONAL DIFFERENCE THROUGH A TONELESS AND/OR UNRESPONSIVE AMP (yours is, as I'm sure you're aware, both)
Just how much difference do you expect them to make? if you plugged in a '59 Les Paul into that amp, do you think it would sound nice?
Pickups are not the centre of your tone. Your amp is.
Many guitarists wouldn't even notice the tonal difference between two different pickups in the same guitar through the most responsive, dynamic amp in the world. They're for adding polish to a good tone.
ok then.... well if anyone here can suggest a nice practice / small gig amp i could get with absolutely no effects on it, because on board effects suck and i already have my effects covered, that would be great. but the thing is i dont want to go over $250, any suggestions there?
My Gear:
EspLtd ec-1000 ]
Epi Les Paul
C.F. Martin/ Sigma DR-41
C.F.Martin/ Sigma D-12
It's almost impossible to find a good gigging amp for that price.

You can try going used on some Peavey gear, but it's gonna be sketchy.

I suggest saving up and finding something you'll really be able to enjoy for a long time instead of just buying something that'll need replaced on a small budget.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
ok then... i guess ill push my budget to $300, im getting confirmation soon, so ill get some money for that
My Gear:
EspLtd ec-1000 ]
Epi Les Paul
C.F. Martin/ Sigma DR-41
C.F.Martin/ Sigma D-12
Quote by TripleR26
ok then... i guess ill push my budget to $300, im getting confirmation soon, so ill get some money for that

If you're lookin for a good gigging amp, honestly, and this is IMO, I wouldn't sacrifice to go any lower than 450 or 500. That extra 50 bucks isn't going to really tip a scale for a good amp.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Save up for a small tube amp (not that modellers or solid states are all bad, but tubes are better from a players point of view in that they're infinitely more responsive and dynamic. That and it's much easier to squeeze good tone out of low end tubes than low end transistors)
Ideal amps would be a Blackstar HT5, Orange Tiny Terror, and the forthcoming Vox Night Train and AC4TV.
Bear in mind that these will be a little more expensive but you have to understand that guitar playing and music making in general is an expensive hobby/pursuit.
Quote by Rock Pig
Save up for a small tube amp (not that modellers or solid states are all bad, but tubes are better from a players point of view in that they're infinitely more responsive and dynamic. That and it's much easier to squeeze good tone out of low end tubes than low end transistors)
Ideal amps would be a Blackstar HT5, Orange Tiny Terror, and the forthcoming Vox Night Train and AC4TV.
Bear in mind that these will be a little more expensive but you have to understand that guitar playing and music making in general is an expensive hobby/pursuit.

I keep hearing about those and how great they are for the money -

Are they really worth looking into? I'm gettin in the market for a small amp to use in my apartment...

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by TripleR26
ok then.... well if anyone here can suggest a nice practice / small gig amp i could get with absolutely no effects on it, because on board effects suck and i already have my effects covered, that would be great. but the thing is i dont want to go over $250, any suggestions there?

I'd wager that a Cube 30x/60x or a Vyper will sound way better than anything you run your current gear into. Buy one of those and eBay your pedals.
Quote by strat0blaster
I keep hearing about those and how great they are for the money -

Are they really worth looking into? I'm gettin in the market for a small amp to use in my apartment...

Definitely. Sounds as good as you'll find for the price. There's a reasonable amount of gain on tap but you'll need to boost it for metal, but I tried one and it sounds much bigger than it is (not in a loud way, although it can certainly shout when it's cranked)
It's good value despite the low wattage; that's an assertion I'd make without fear of reprise.
tube amp doesnt sound like a bad idea, and i can definitely save for one, i only need around 15-30 wats, and a 5 watt tube sounds that loud and i hear they have great tone, plus i could easily get a blackheart tube practice for around $350 or an epiphone valve for $250, and honetly im ready to get rid of my amp so this is good. i just came across this
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Pathfinder-15R-Guitar-Amp-with-Reverb?sku=481948
ive just read about ten reviews there and on harmony central, and they all sound pretty supportive of it, i just want a good clean tone. if i ever wanted this one louder i can run it through a PA or an extension cab, so it sounds good to me, what do you guys think?
My Gear:
EspLtd ec-1000 ]
Epi Les Paul
C.F. Martin/ Sigma DR-41
C.F.Martin/ Sigma D-12
No kidding. What do they run for low wattage?

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
No kidding. What do they run for low wattage?

what do you mean? it goes for about $120 and i honestly never heard anything bad about vox amps so its probably good quality
My Gear:
EspLtd ec-1000 ]
Epi Les Paul
C.F. Martin/ Sigma DR-41
C.F.Martin/ Sigma D-12
Last edited by TripleR26 at Mar 4, 2009,
i think i may have found a new amp! its an orange crush 15r, i heard it on youtube and it sounds great! what do you guys think?
My Gear:
EspLtd ec-1000 ]
Epi Les Paul
C.F. Martin/ Sigma DR-41
C.F.Martin/ Sigma D-12
Quote by TripleR26
i think i may have found a new amp! its an orange crush 15r, i heard it on youtube and it sounds great! what do you guys think?

No... it's one of Orange's SS amps. It's really not that good and wouldn't be an improvement at all.

You're really going to want to go tube. Listen to some of the suggestions above.
Yeah^^ He's right, it won't be much of an upgrade from your amp now, I'd say go for a tube amp.
The Crate Palomino is a very good amp for the money. Go for it.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
just one question about it, does the palomino have an output that i could run it to a PA, that would be PERFECT for me then, but im still open to good suggestions
My Gear:
EspLtd ec-1000 ]
Epi Les Paul
C.F. Martin/ Sigma DR-41
C.F.Martin/ Sigma D-12
Triple post for the TripleR !!

or this?

Peavey Classic 30
http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/msg/1041879744.html

I think you could use the extra headroom for gigging. Nothing wrong with the Palo either. I'm surprised actually they are still available.

duh, i feel pretty slow right now, i keep forgetting that i could mic it. ok, well it says on the site that it was discontinued , but there is a little bit of them left on b-stock for $200. great deal, the thing is i only have right now $180 to spend, and by next week ill only have $130 because of the acoustic im fixing up that i have to pay my parents back for the parts, i usually pay them when my stuff comes in the mail. and when i order something my parents make me pay up front, they never let me borrow any money from them so i cant order it right now, it may be there when i save up, and it may not. if it is , i will definitely get it, but if not i need a backup plan. maybe a solid state of around 50-100 watts, with a good clean. or a tube from 10-15 watt, i want the tube small so i could crank it to get a nice overdrive without blowing my house apartl. for a solid state alternative i looked at a raven rg60 http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Raven-RG60-60W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amplifier?sku=481619
i know the built in distorion sucks, but i dont care, i just want the clean channel, so no one needs to say the gain sucks, because i already know -thanks
My Gear:
EspLtd ec-1000 ]
Epi Les Paul
C.F. Martin/ Sigma DR-41
C.F.Martin/ Sigma D-12
No, no nooooo. Please, don't get the Raven.

Can't you borrow $20 from anyone? Friends, other family members, whoever? Explain to your parents what a good deal this is and I'm sure they'll understand, hell, offer to repay them with interest if you need to.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
i could probably stretch that far for the marshlall or the peavey, itll just take a while if its still there when i get the $$ , and harrisburg aint to far away, not sure where camp hill is though. im a little closer to allentown, but its about an hour either way. thanks ill check into them! and ill see if i could borrow the $20, im sure i could, its just my mom will carry on about how "I'm never satisfied" and "your amp sounds fine to me" even though she can barely hear after all the concerts she's been to. she listens to music so loud that she actually blew out one of the speakers in her 300 watt stereo system because she tried to show me that in stairway to heaven before the solo if you blast it you can hear a phone ringing in the music studio where it was recorded.
My Gear:
EspLtd ec-1000 ]
Epi Les Paul
C.F. Martin/ Sigma DR-41
C.F.Martin/ Sigma D-12
Last edited by TripleR26 at Mar 4, 2009,
Yeah TripleR - I'll re-read you last post but don't go there. Are you going to be ordering On-line? Trust us.

Edit: Yeah, OK. OnLine or Craigslist prolly. Classic Rock right? Anything else? Jazz? Metal?
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Mar 4, 2009,
i do play alot of classic rock, a lot of hard rock, and alot of classic 80's metal like ozzy and some lighter mettalica, to wrap up my playing style i'll say like a randy rhoads like tone
My Gear:
EspLtd ec-1000 ]
Epi Les Paul
C.F. Martin/ Sigma DR-41
C.F.Martin/ Sigma D-12
i just though of another question, if i get the palomino like i want to, will it still sound good at lower volumes, or will i have to really crank it to get a good tone. I know the distortion comes from the heating of the tubes, but can i use a distortion pedal on it to get a good metal tone when i want to? if im going to get this amp, i would really like to know if i could use the distortion pedals i have now. help please.... really, ive asked for it many times, but now i really do need some
My Gear:
EspLtd ec-1000 ]
Epi Les Paul
C.F. Martin/ Sigma DR-41
C.F.Martin/ Sigma D-12
I dunno.

18w doesn't give you much room. A disti pedal is not what I would add. Maybe an Overdrive pedal. It will however sound pretty good bedroom levels. I've actually never played one so don't listen to me.

I would however focus on teh Classic 30. I know it gets recommended a lot but for what you need it is perfect. Maybe factor in a $50 Bad Monkey OD or something similar and go from there.

Edit: Need to edit due to inTurdnetz and bRewsKieS lol
I have an epi les paul with Seymour Duncan P/U´s, and a Samick with DiMarzios, and i used to play them thru a Zoom G7.1ut into a 15W Crate and a 12W laney i have at home; sweet bedroom tones, but there was something missing. I decided to save money for a Couple of months in order to Jump into a tube amp, and 2 months ago i bought a Egnater rebel head and cabinet. Since then, my Zoom console is being kept in the box most of the time. It was worthed. If you have no rush, save for a couple of months and enjoy many years of Golden tone, real tone. I think that 500-600 budget will give you a nice tube amp that will suit your needs. Good Luck, keep rockin´
P.S Crate palomino ones are nice, but probably will need some work to get a cool tone (Changing the speaker for example)