Hello, I have to do a project for my jazz band class, and I play guitar so what I have to do, is find a guitar player I like and try to emulate the style that is played in. When this project was assigned I was thinking "Hell yes, I can study John McLaughlin for a grade!" but unfortunately my instructor was like "Pshh, nahh, you have to do a cool jazz or bebop guitar player... somebody like Wes Montgomery."

So I looked at Kind of Blue by Miles Davis (he's my favorite jazz artist) but there isn't a guitar player on it.

So did Miles play with any other guitar players early on before he got into fusion and McLaughlin?

And any other good jazz guitarists I should check out. I like the styles of Kind of Blue, so something like that would be good.

Thanks!
study pat martino
top axes:
Taylor GS8
Fender American Strat (w/DiMarzio pickups)
Epiphone Les Paul
miles davis never played with a guitarist before his fusion stuff as far as I know. Except for John Lee Hooker for the hot spot soundtrack, but that was a crazy mashup of jazz and blues, mostly blues.

Guys to check out:
Joe Pass
Wes Montgomery
Jim Hall
Grant Green
George Benson (early)

I'm sure you could also emulate a trumpet or saxophone player on guitar, your teacher probably wouldn't have a problem with that.
Unfortunately, my teacher won't let me do that. I was going to do Bill Evans, I learned "Some Other Time" on guitar, and he said "No, it needs to be a guitar player."

So, now I'm doing Wes Montgomery's "Bumpin'" but thanks everyone for the recommendations.
why dont you emulate a non-guitar player with your guitar. im constantly studying ray charles piano licks, miles davis trumpet licks, and charlie parker runs and playing them on the guitar.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Extrapolation by John McLaughlin is a very interesting album to pick licks up!
'Music is the best"
Zappa
I would add to the previous recommendations a couple of modern players:
Kurt rosenwinkel - The remedy (live at the village vanguard)
Adam rogers please listen to this guy playing on Chris Potter's follow the red line (also recorded at the village vanguard, man someday I gotta visit this place!)
look at george benson...montgomery is cool...django reinhart
2010 Gibson SG Honeyburst
I'm a musician, a composer, and a theory nut. Pleased to meet you! Check out my websites and drop me a line.

"The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude. " ~ Freidrich Nietzche

My Website