im not a troll!

i read somewhere on this forum that the nu MG's were not supposed to be near as bad as the old ones is this true? if so whats better about them guitar center is an hour drive away and i dont want to go just to test out an amp im not gonna buy...

the reason i ask is... 80 bucks for a bedroom practice amp is amazing... IF the amp is semi decent i can recommend it to some of my students. i teach lil kids basics and then when im done with them i send them to my old teacher(im much cheaper and usually a lot closer to home for them) now i know that cheap amps are never much good but these kids come in with these acoustic guitars and they all want to play hard rock electric now parents are wary of this because they know how the world of money works... but if i can recommend an amp for that cheap (and not feel like crap about myself afterward) and point them in the direction of a nice guitar to start with i think i could get these kids into the realm of music that i love.

so how is it? i wanna no... for the kids.
Epiphone les paul studio
Traynor YCS50
vox wah V847
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
squire strat- currently in process of getting custom finish!

gassing for warmoth build
Quote by danecave13
mg suck. use the search bar. mgs suck

obvious troll is obvious

but rly, i think that a vypyr would still be better, because with something like an MG, people will be like "ZOMGZ MARSHALL HALFSTACK!!" and then they buy the bigger versions, wasting monay
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nightraven
the new MGs are much better than the old ones, but the vypyr and the cube are still better.

ty this was actually helpful.

if i were a troll then i would not have bothered with the wall of text.
Epiphone les paul studio
Traynor YCS50
vox wah V847
Fulltone Full-Drive 2

no, i was trying to say danecave13 was the troll, so yeah... *akward*
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
i think it was me who posted that the new MGs don't suck

although what i really meant was, they don't suck, but there are still better amps available for the price.

also, i think he was calling danecave13 a troll.

edit: ^confirmed
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Yeah defo check out cube 30. haha kids need more teachers like you really.
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Today i was in guitar center and i heard this guy and he was sick and what he was playing sounded VERY good. I thought it was a nice amp until a walked over and saw it was an MG

moral of the story- sound comes from the fingers, not the amp.
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Seriously, the old MG's aren't that bad. I mean, the clean channel on my purple MG30DFX is pretty decent, not excellent, but pretty decent. The distortion channel is OK, not great, but OK. I find the "contour" knob pretty useless, so I usually have it on 1 or 0. You can get light blues distortion all the way to metal (though for metal you want some contour on) and it'll sound decent. Good practice amps, and if the new MG's are better, then tell them go for it. And I'm not some dumb newbie to guitar, I've been playing for over 2 years and I know what good tone is and what isn't.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro
Fender Blues Jr.
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS9

THE WHO
the new ones are more worth it and sounds much better. if you want to play classic rock to metal sure, if not Cube for metal, Vyper for versitality
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by nightraven
the new MGs are much better than the old ones, but the vypyr and the cube are still better.

It's true... I do think the new MG is less fizzy and more chunky but it isn't perfect, still.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
obvious troll is obvious

but rly, i think that a vypyr would still be better, because with something like an MG, people will be like "ZOMGZ MARSHALL HALFSTACK!!" and then they buy the bigger versions, wasting monay

how am i the troll? i was simply stating they suck and to use the god damn search bar... these threads are made all the ****ing time... it gets old.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
no, i was trying to say danecave13 was the troll, so yeah... *akward*

agh ok ty for clarification... so i shall continue to recommend vypyrs then
Epiphone les paul studio
Traynor YCS50
vox wah V847
Fulltone Full-Drive 2

Quote by danecave13
how am i the troll? i was simply stating they suck and to use the god damn search bar... these threads are made all the ****ing time... it gets old.

seriously... chill. the difference between this and ALL THE OTHER MG POSTS is that this is about the NEW MG THAT IS NOT THE SAME AS THE OLD MG and how it compares with the old mg and other amps in the price range. And to clarify im not calling you a troll i am explaining why they did.
Epiphone les paul studio
Traynor YCS50
vox wah V847
Fulltone Full-Drive 2

Guys
just got for the cube 15 if they make one
thats what my guitar place uses
and they are decent enough amps to play through

and for kiddys its plenty
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by oneblackened
It's true... I do think the new MG is less fizzy and more chunky but it isn't perfect, still.

If it was perfect Marshall wouldn't make JCM, JMP's, BLuesbreakers, etc
Ibanez Saber Series Owner!

Don't jump on the bandwagon, Line 6 Spider III's Aren't that bad!

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

You, goonerbynature, win teh internetz.

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist

Cube!
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by stratomaster15
Seriously, the old MG's aren't that bad. I mean, the clean channel on my purple MG30DFX is pretty decent, not excellent, but pretty decent. The distortion channel is OK, not great, but OK. I find the "contour" knob pretty useless, so I usually have it on 1 or 0. You can get light blues distortion all the way to metal (though for metal you want some contour on) and it'll sound decent. Good practice amps, and if the new MG's are better, then tell them go for it. And I'm not some dumb newbie to guitar, I've been playing for over 2 years and I know what good tone is and what isn't.

Lol. I HAD an old MG. Yeah, the clean was okayish. The overdrive channel was a joke though. Sounded like a jar full of angry bees. I went to my dad's to check out the Laney he had acquired for me (I can't say bought, he got it for free). And went home dreading playing on my MG again. Sure, it's a harsh comparison, but the fact still remained that my MG was a POS.

Can't say anything about the new ones though, not familiar with them.
Jackson KVX10
Epiphone EB-3

Bugera 6260
Laney Supergroup Mk 1
Marshall VS100RH
Laney LX412A

Bad Monkey
Crybaby
Metal Muff
Fish N Chips
Quote by goonerbynature
If it was perfect Marshall wouldn't make JCM, JMP's, BLuesbreakers, etc