alright, i notice when watching bands play live that they'll have distortion turned on, and then just by switching the pup or turning down the volume knob, it switches from distorted to completely clean. is this because they're using tube stacks, or something with the mixing board, or modded wiring, or what? if it's modded wiring, can someone direct me to a how-to article or something, cause would love to have either a constantly clean pup or the volume thing on a couple of my guitars. as i said, the search bar was no help. thanks in advance.
Pretty sure they just use a pedal, along with minor tone changes coming from the pick-up selector.
Though i guess it is possible for it to just come from the pups. EMG active in the bridge, and an Alnico in the neck for example. Though I doubt (And hope) no one uses that set-up.
superman is killing himself tonight
if there was a pedal, then it wasn't on stage, and a roadie behind the scenes was pressing it, cause i'm talking about how they'll be standing there, and then it'll instantly change without them hitting a pedal or moving back to their amp or anything. this is why i think it must have something to do with wiring on either the guitar or amp, or something with the mixing board.
turning down the volume knob on an overdriven tube amp will push the tubes less, and as a result it will clean up. its not going to go from bone crushing distortion to pristine cleans, but it can go from a nice crunch to clean.
(edit) This ^

it's just an amp with enough gain that it gets driven into distortions with a loud signal from the guitar. dial the volume of the guitar back a little and it cleans up. not a big deal, man. you don't need a tutorial.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Mar 4, 2009,
It's probably because they're using nice tube amps. When you increase the signal going into a hot tube amp, it distorts. Likewise, when you turn down your volume knob on the guitar the signal going to the amp decreases, which can clean up your sound quite a bit. It's also common to use this with some fuzz pedals and so forth for a different sound than you would get by just adjusting the knobs on the pedal.
Quote by HorsemanOfDeath
if there was a pedal, then it wasn't on stage, and a roadie behind the scenes was pressing it, cause i'm talking about how they'll be standing there, and then it'll instantly change without them hitting a pedal or moving back to their amp or anything. this is why i think it must have something to do with wiring on either the guitar or amp, or something with the mixing board.

If it was a big band, you answered your own question.
Quote by Thomme
I would have liked it more if the leprichaun didn't look like it was trying to take a massive dump on the rainbow. But, kuddos, man.
aha, alright cool. that means whenever i get my marshall tube it should be able to do this without the use of pedals. thanx dudes.
Quote by jof1029
turning down the volume knob on an overdriven tube amp will push the tubes less, and as a result it will clean up. its not going to go from bone crushing distortion to pristine cleans, but it can go from a nice crunch to clean.

It could if you have a really high output pickups and a realy low output pickup on the same guitar but not many people do that.
Not taking any online orders.