Alright, so a couple of my friends and I just decided to start a band...again (different story for a different time). I play bass and backing vocals, we have a singer, and a guitarist. We convinced our friend to play the drums with us, he's really good. So we signed up for a battle of the bands in May, We also have practice times etc., etc,. The problem is our drummer already has a huge ego, and we haven't even done anything yet. I also heard he said he wanted a different bassist, and guitarist. He also says all our songs have to have crazy druming in them, he also wants drumfills like every 10 seconds. And now he said he was probably just improvise every song. It's really getting on our nerves, we haven't kicked him out, because there really aren't any good drummers in our area. Should we kick him out anyway, and try to find a new drummer, or what. Help please.
Is he playing drum fills where appropriate? because if every ten seconds is where they fit then is there a problem?
Quote by Tehkrimboelf
Alright, so a couple of my friends and I just decided to start a band...again (different story for a different time). I play bass and backing vocals, we have a singer, and a guitarist. We convinced our friend to play the drums with us, he's really good. So we signed up for a battle of the bands in May, We also have practice times etc., etc,. The problem is our drummer already has a huge ego, and we haven't even done anything yet. I also heard he said he wanted a different bassist, and guitarist. He also says all our songs have to have crazy druming in them, he also wants drumfills like every 10 seconds. And now he said he was probably just improvise every song. It's really getting on our nerves, we haven't kicked him out, because there really aren't any good drummers in our area. Should we kick him out anyway, and try to find a new drummer, or what. Help please.

Kick him out on principle. Who the heck says he's so good he can improvise every song?

Tell him to go find a technical death metal band. He can wank on drums all he wants then.
Quote by HorizonShadow
Just eat the headstock.

That'll make you look mad.
Quote by Tehkrimboelf

Tell him, he's a drummer, drummers do not take the spotlight, they provide a ground for everyone else to build on.
And every time that bastard tries to stick a drum fill in an inappropriate place, just tap his nose and say "No!"
Gear List:
B.C. Rich NT Jr. V (With Seymour Duncan AHB-1 Blackout in bridge)
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Marshall MG15DFX
Jazz III picks
DR strings
Planet Waves Cables
Quote by me_llamo_juan
If you can get the rest of the band behind you, just directly confront him. Don't be dicks about it though, just let him know that what he's doing isn' t cool.

Besides that, I would record him and show him parts of the song where he goes off time or his playing doesn't fit. Or make him play to a metronome to see if he can stay on time. If he can't play on time, then he will shamed and knocked off of his high horse.

I would also make him listen to great drummers who don't always play the flashiest stuff but instead play what serves the song. For example, a lot of the time Lars Ulrich plays relatively simply but his material fits.
WARNING:This post contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.
This sounds exactly like my old drummer. We abused him so hard that he quit .
Dave Mustaine is a Joke

Quote by strat0blaster
Why don't you just all jam and see what comes out

That wat she said!!!!!!!!!!!

Watch Jason Newsted pisses off James Hetfield on YouTube.
You guys are just starting, and he already has an ego about it? Fvck that. Trust me, you do not want to be dealing with that kind of attitude down the road.
MY BAND!!!

Quote by floppypick
Well, I'm all out of ideas, except for one. dress up as a squirrel of the opposite sex and try to seduce it. Over the years of mating you and the squirrel will form a species or human squirrel hybrids and be able to take over the world!
what you need is for someone to completely bag out his drumming ability. and then another person. and then another person. and follow this principal 23 or so times.

Or, you could just remind him the purpose of drums in a song is to keep time, and everything else comes second to that. Fills should be put where they're needed, it sounds sloppy if you constantly have them in there. He sounds like an a drummer who has no idea why he's there.

if he disagrees, you have permission to remove him from this band/life
He's probably not nearly as good as he thinks. How old are you guys? You need to cut him down to size - enthusiasm is great but he's got no right to be throwing his weight around.

If you speak to him in a reasonable, non-confrontational way it'll do him a few favours in the long run. If he doesn't respond to that, ditch him.
Why do 90% of the band problems have to do with the egoistical drummer...

Just kick him out.

EDIT:

Let's handle this sensibly. Your options are :-

1. Tell him to leave
2. Shove his drumsticks up his behind, in which case he'll probably leave himself anyway.
Ibanez Saber Series Owner!

Don't jump on the bandwagon, Line 6 Spider III's Aren't that bad!

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

You, goonerbynature, win teh internetz.

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist

Last edited by goonerbynature at Mar 5, 2009,
Now improvising is fun and exciting, but you NEED songs with structure first. Also if he's being a jerk about everything you don't need him.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
I hold the dissenting view. I like busy improvised drums. I play mostly punk though.
Quote by tagyoureit
I hold the dissenting view. I like busy improvised drums. I play mostly punk though.

I like busy drums too but it sounds more like this guy isn't allowing the drums to breathe at all
Quote by Highwaytohell
I like busy drums too but it sounds more like this guy isn't allowing the drums to breathe at all

Drums can't breathe, they have no mouths/faces.
Dave Mustaine is a Joke

Quote by strat0blaster
Why don't you just all jam and see what comes out

That wat she said!!!!!!!!!!!

Watch Jason Newsted pisses off James Hetfield on YouTube.
Drum machine.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Leave the band with the other guitarist and bassist.

That way when the battle comes around he will most likely be by himself.
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
I have this exact same problem...... whats up with drummers these days?
ya my problem still isnt resolved, but im pretty sure we are going to confront him and tell him what he is doing and how he is getting us pist at him. He's one of the best drummers in our area, but its just that ego that gets in the way, u no?
We can dance if we want to
We can leave your friends behind
'Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance
Well they're no friends of mine
We settled it with a compromise, He could have crazy drums for songs, if he remembers them, so no improvising right now. Also once he saw how much better I got at the bass since we last played, he wants to keep me (Not that he had a choice). I think he might have just been having a bad day, his mom kinda hates him so she gives him crap all the time. And she grounds him every 20 minutes, which could be a problem later. He's calmed down, and is being very cool about the riff our guitarist wrote. So we're gonna keep him and see what happens. Thanks for the advice anyway.
Quote by Athetosis
Kick him out on principle. Who the heck says he's so good he can improvise every song?

Tell him to go find a technical death metal band. He can wank on drums all he wants then.

agreed, confront him about being a jerk off and if he doesn't stop boot him but seems everything worked out. just watch it, if theirs problems now their will be problems later on. egos just don't disappear.
Equipment
Carlo Robelli SG (Circa 1970's?)
Fender H.O.T. Amp
Yamaha G100-212-III
Ibanez Thrashmetal Pedal
Ibanez Flanger Pedal
Boss Master Switch/PowerSuppy
Boss Equalizer
I'm a drummer and have had a similar problem (yes it was me). Yes I had a bit of an ego, not one that I felt was over the top though, I felt I was entitled to a bit of an ego because a) I was the original founding member, I started the band b) I was the main lyric writer c) I was the secondary vocalist in addition to the drummer (see, it's possible technical death). I originally went for the secondary vocalist spot because yes, drummers do not normally take the spotlight. d) I dealt with all of the artwork, merchandise, and recording issues, even payed a good deal more than everyone else to the recording engineer

I wanted the band to go in a more intense thrashy (slayer, kreator), melodeathy direction, still with clean lead vocals (I did the Gutteral Vocals)

The rest of the band wanted to do a more NWOBHM light thrash (anthrax, flotsam & jetsam) kind of thing

we all wanted to be "Thrash Metal" but had very different views of what that was.

I played drums for the kind of music I wanted to play, techy heavy death metal kind of stuff.

one day at a concert, my bass player was talking to a guitarist from some other band, and they were talking about how much they hate drummers... while I was sitting right there (of course the other guy had no idea I was a drummer) so I said "hey I'm a drummer, and I'm the only thing holding this band together!" I was not serious... but everyone there thought I was.

no-one shows up for our next scheduled jam, after a little while I get a text message saying "we're not jamming with you until you lose the ego, your drumming doesn't fit our music etc"

we arranged a meeting, I was prepared to do things more their way, but they'd made up their mind that together we'd never all be happy doing the same thing, If I changed for them, I wouldn't be doing what I really wanted to do (I still thought that was better than nothing... but what can you do). Because of my points above, they were willing to let me keep the name, the songs, anything I wanted, but however it went, it boiled down to either I quit, or they ALL quit.

I still feel they had no right to kick me out, as they not once approached me with any indication that there was a problem, had they, we could have worked it out.

so advice...
Quote by me_llamo_juan
If you can get the rest of the band behind you, just directly confront him. Don't be dicks about it though, just let him know that what he's doing isn' t cool.

what he said ^

now THIS is bad advice:

Quote by LeperAffinity
Tell him, he's a drummer, drummers do not take the spotlight, they provide a ground for everyone else to build on.
And every time that bastard tries to stick a drum fill in an inappropriate place, just tap his nose and say "No!"

that's a very bad way to say it.
tell him the retarded aspect of trying to improvise an entire song
he'll get all the changes wrong and have to spend time thinking of what drum beat he should do over the section thats probably already started
if he wants lots of fills and can pull them off let him
just tell him to cut down
i have an egotistical drummer
you just have to write guitar that makes him have to write technically better anyway
funkier rhythms means he cant improvise as there is a distinct sound.