He has been playing for 3 years and has no music theory knowledge, has trouble learning simple basslines and creating his own and he is never focused on what we are playing and is throwing us off. We've been thinking about kicking him out of the band and finding a new bassist, the only problem is their are absolutely no bass players where i live. So if you guys could give us some advice on the situation it would be much appreciated.

One more question, is it easy to sing and play bass? Right now I play rhythm guitar and do the lead vocals for my band. I've thought maybe if we kick him out I could take up bass and also be the lead singer and just find another guitarist to play rhythm.
Quote by DeepPurplefan69
He has been playing for 3 years and has no music theory knowledge, has trouble learning simple basslines and creating his own and he is never focused on what we are playing and is throwing us off. We've been thinking about kicking him out of the band and finding a new bassist, the only problem is their are absolutely no bass players where i live. So if you guys could give us some advice on the situation it would be much appreciated.

One more question, is it easy to sing and play bass?

No, it's almost harder than playing guitar, because what you sing will end up being in plodding 8 notes...
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Hey man.

Well think about it this way. Do you really need a bassist? Do we just want the bass instrument on the recordings but we wouldn't mind leaving it out on stage? In order to solve your problem, your going to have to compromise in some direction whether its letting him stay or changing the way things are done in the band. This is of course if you cannot find a replacement bassist. In my band we are lucky to have 2 people to choose from. Even though both are not perfect, we are still are not dependent on having them.
<3<3<3MILKSHAKE<3<3<3
i sing and play bass... pretty tough but it can be done if you focus, just like anything else.

and 3 years with no ability? sounds like you need to send him to lessons again.
Quote by ChemicalFire
No, it's almost harder than playing guitar, because what you sing will end up being in plodding 8 notes...

Not true. I've seen some pretty badass bass/voxes out there. I'm in two bands, I play lead guitar and sing backup in one, and play bass and sing lead in the other. It's not that hard. It just takes getting used to, like with any other instrument. If you've learned how to sing lead and play rhythm guitar, that's a great first step. I say kick the motherf**ker out and play bass.
Quote by ChemicalFire

but if you know how to play the part inside and out, that being your imaginary plodding 8th note rhythm, it would be easy to navigate your mind away from hitting the notes, and focus on singing.

So say the TS goes for it
I'm FAT!
Quote by ChemicalFire

I find it easier...

Of course, i think playing drums has helped... Because its kinda the same concept...

Guitar, you actually have to think about the rhythm, bass is pretty straight forward.
Wow, this thread is full of people that are used to terrible bass lines, no offense. I don't know about you, but the bass lines I play are much more complex than the rhythms chugged out by the rhythm guitarist and while I find it difficult to sing and play bass at the same time, it sure isn't for want of running into "plodding 8 notes."

Good bass lines combine drum like rhythm with a subtle countermelody to the vox or lead guitar right? It's tricky to sing a melody while playing an elaborate combination of rhythm and counter melody at the same time in my book. You can get the feel for timing when you play rhythm guitar and sing, you have to completely memorize your bass lines to the point of not thinking about them at all when you play bass and sing.

I think your best solution is to forget that there are "absolutely no bass players" where you live and put up ads to find a new bass player. You'll find one if you look hard enough. If you live in a tiny town, find someone from another tiny town. I live in a rural area with super low population density and people do this all the time.
Quote by DeepPurplefan69
One more question, is it easy to sing and play bass?

As long as you practice you'll be able to do it easily.

I advise making sure that playing bass is what you want and enjoy before you commit yourself to it though.
WARNING:This post contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.
Keep him. He doesn't sound as bad as our bassist. Who complains constantly about how punk music is gay (we are a punk band), and is like "Cliff Burton Rules" all the time, but we still keep him, but we have a feeling that he's going to leave but w/e.
Dave Mustaine is a Joke

Quote by strat0blaster
Why don't you just all jam and see what comes out

That wat she said!!!!!!!!!!!

Watch Jason Newsted pisses off James Hetfield on YouTube.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Wow, this thread is full of people that are used to terrible bass lines, no offense. I don't know about you, but the bass lines I play are much more complex than the rhythms chugged out by the rhythm guitarist and while I find it difficult to sing and play bass at the same time, it sure isn't for want of running into "plodding 8 notes."

Good bass lines combine drum like rhythm with a subtle countermelody to the vox or lead guitar right? It's tricky to sing a melody while playing an elaborate combination of rhythm and counter melody at the same time in my book. You can get the feel for timing when you play rhythm guitar and sing, you have to completely memorize your bass lines to the point of not thinking about them at all when you play bass and sing.

I think your best solution is to forget that there are "absolutely no bass players" where you live and put up ads to find a new bass player. You'll find one if you look hard enough. If you live in a tiny town, find someone from another tiny town. I live in a rural area with super low population density and people do this all the time.

I agree with most of this post - I would rather have a full-time bassist than a singer/bassist if I had a choice. But I don't think that a simple bassline is automatically bad - sometimes an 8th-note bass pattern with a few fills is just what a song needs (ie, punk, and I mean real punk not just blink-182). Also, Sting had some decent basslines and he's a singer. Obviously he's no Flea, but it worked out fine for The Police.

But ya, do what he said and start looking for another bass player - it's the better option regardless.

Guitar, you actually have to think about the rhythm, bass is pretty straight forward.

I don't know if this is sarcastic or not, because you obviously have to think about rhythm with both. The difference is that rhythm guitar is usually just strumming chords while bass is playing complex lines and patterns. The guy I quoted above did a good job explaining it.
Last edited by shortyafter at Mar 4, 2009,
Quote by pengiunman
Keep him. He doesn't sound as bad as our bassist. Who complains constantly about how punk music is gay (we are a punk band), and is like "Cliff Burton Rules" all the time, but we still keep him, but we have a feeling that he's going to leave but w/e.

Even though I completely agree with your bassist, kick him out. If he doesn't like punk, and you play punk, he shouldn't be in your band.

TS:
If slayer can, you can.
Quote by wesselbindt

TS:
If slayer can, you can.

yeah!

as Araya ain't shugging 8th notes...

he's doing 16's
You like it
1) Find a reasonably able guitarist you know and would be happy to work with
2) Ask him/her to fill in on bass in the band
3) Repeat #1-2 until someone says yes
4) ???
5) Profit!

Most of the guitarists I know dabble in the low-end - I'm suposed to be playing bass in an acoustic trio soon, to make a few quid on the side, and our other guitarist often fills in at gigs when our regular bassist can't make it.
Any guitarist worth their salt will make a capable bass player, as long as they've taken a few hours to get the basic techniques down.
if you have played guitar for a while you can learn bass pretty quick.
if the basslines are just eigth notes, it is easy to play bass and sing.
if you have super awesomes basslines its like trying to shred like randy roads and sing opera. ( really, really, really hard).
Find something in the middle.
Quote by pengiunman

You can tell that DB that Thrash music ala Cliff Burton (who rules) is heavily influenced by punk and consequently he can piss off

Ps dude Dave Mustaine is the Sh*t...
My Setup:
Dean VMNT(Metallic Silver)
LTD DV8-R (Snow White)
Randall RG100sc
EHX Metal Muff
Quote by thesockmonster

Sarcasm: Killing any chance you ever had at scoring this guitar, since 1895.

THE TREND IS OVER!!!!
Last edited by metzguitarist at Mar 20, 2009,
Kick him. If he's not working - i e - writing good counterpoint and interesting sounding as well as rhythmic sounding bass parts, he's not doing his job. Find someone who can actually play, try craiglsist.
Quote by metzguitarist
You can tell that DB that Thrash music ala Cliff Burton (who rules) is heavily influenced by punk and consequently he can piss off

Ps dude Dave Mustaine is the Sh*t...

Sorry I'm kind of a dumbass, what's DB?

Ps he is not a great singer.
Dave Mustaine is a Joke

Quote by strat0blaster

all so quick to kick the bassist out
get him playing 8thnotes but put fills every so often
allow his skill to build up
however if he really is that bad
then i agreekick him out
try and find another bassist but in the mean time and sing and play
Quote by superfish123
all so quick to kick the bassist out
get him playing 8thnotes but put fills every so often
allow his skill to build up
however if he really is that bad
then i agreekick him out
try and find another bassist but in the mean time and sing and play

i don't know
why people sometimes
write responses
like this
in a wierd
form and
with bad
punctuation and it
is all lower
case it looks
messy stop it
Dave Mustaine is a Joke

Quote by strat0blaster

It isn't that hard to play bass and sing, its difficult at first, but after some practice you'll find it easier than guitar
Quote by pengiunman
i don't know
why people sometimes
write responses
like this
in a wierd
form and
with bad
punctuation and it
is all lower
case it looks
messy stop it

Quote by pengiunman
Sorry I'm kind of a dumbass, what's DB?

Ps he is not a great singer.

DB=Douchebag
My Setup:
Dean VMNT(Metallic Silver)
LTD DV8-R (Snow White)
Randall RG100sc
EHX Metal Muff
Quote by thesockmonster

Sarcasm: Killing any chance you ever had at scoring this guitar, since 1895.

THE TREND IS OVER!!!!

Mark King disagrees.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles